Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 & D1.6
- - By pataterchip (**) Date 05-03-2011 19:13
Do either D1.1 or D1.6 cover the qualifying dissimilar alloys I need to join a PH grade of stainless to A36 but am having trouble finding the qualification criteria?
Sorry up front I know I should know this but I have been buried in ASME's and the Mil-Std's for sooo long!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2011 19:28
If you are selling your services as a welding consultant, you better dig into the books to find out first hand. It is dicey to take someone else's opinion and sell it as your own only to find out they were wrong.

Al
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 05-03-2011 19:53
Not selling anything at the moment and definitely not look for "opinions" I was hoping someone had dealt with this issue recently and had a section in either book that would prove helpful. I have both books and am currently going through them. I was just looking for some quick help or a suggestion.

Thanks for your kind advice!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-03-2011 20:36
Precipitation hardenable steels welded to plain carbon steel likely takes some pretty thorough engineering decisions from beginning to end.  Lots of things to think about and select.

What is required in a PQR can vary even between AWS codes, so it's pretty hard to provide anything other than "opinion" without knowing a whole lot more about your operation.

Many AWS codes refer to AWS B2.1 SPECIFICATION FOR WELDING PROCEDURE AND PERFORMANCE QUALIFICATION, even some mill specs. have in the past.
Parent - - By pataterchip (**) Date 05-03-2011 21:05
Thank you Lawrence, I agree. There are several spec's that would provide at least PQR requirements, and to for sure the drawing needs much more work. I have spent some time looking through both codes and have found nothing helpful except for 1.1.1(4) of D1.1. I just wanted to be more confident as I will now need to kick the drawing back to our customers engineer with a list of why it is incorrect/insufficient and they seldom take that well.

Thank you very much I will post the outcome, I am curious what filler will be chosen as there are several options.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 05-04-2011 19:09
D1.6:2007  Index, Dissimilar base metal welding,....
Parent - By pataterchip (**) Date 05-04-2011 21:19
Thanks Skag I have an older version of D1.6 so that a good excuse to buy the latest Rev.

BTW the engineer came back and said Best Shop Practice and to use what ever filler we want :eek: so not sure what this does but must not be very important, makes me wonder why they would call out sometimes hard to find and expensive material like 15-5 and 18-8.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 & D1.6