Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS posting
- - By weldeng777 Date 05-10-2011 00:21
All welding stations need WPS posting in order to provide with information to the welder concerning welding variables.
Is it spelled out anywhere in D1.1 the need of posting WPS at weld stations? If not in D1.1 then where?
Also, should a WPS be posted for each weld that is part of a product? What happens in large factories where a product contains hundreds of welds? Does each weld have a WPS posted?

Thanks
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-10-2011 01:54
Great in theory but most welders do not understand a WPS. Best bet is just trying to ensure they use the correct welding consumable.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-10-2011 02:49
Sadly, I have to agree with nantong.  Maybe a bit further beyond just the consumables, welders should know at least correct polarity and range of amps.  At the end of the day the philosophy is good but in reality posting WPS at each work station is more about satisfying QC than in givinig direction to the welders.  So I don't get beat uo for this statement, I will again say this seems to be a sad fact of life.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2011 12:15
I made welding manuals for each of my welders. As they pass the welding tests, they get a copy. I spend time teaching them to read and understand what all is in the manual and how to find everything they need to do their job. All WPSs, general welding notes and instructions are included. I provide a detailed index so they can reference things quickly and not feel too anxious when under pressure to provide answers to the auditor's questions. Our shop is audited annually by the AISC and many other 3rd party auditors throughout the course of a year. They get plenty of exercise thumbing through their manuals proving to the auditors that they know what they are doing.

As for your question about the WPSs being posted, every auditor that I have had to deal with over the past 27 years wants to make sure the welder at least has access to the WPSs and knows how to read them....it is my job to make sure this happens and I've found the welding manual to be a great tool to help me do this. No one expects the welder to memorize the thing from cover to cover, but to know how to use that tool to find what they need to perform their job correctly.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 05-10-2011 12:57
John

Basically what I did here and has appeased a few Auditor's.

Marshall
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 05-10-2011 23:18
Waccobird do not wotk towards appeasing anyone. Do what is right.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 05-11-2011 08:56
nantong

Good Saying

Marshall
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 05-20-2011 15:48
keep in mind the code requirement that the "contractor's inspector" needs to ensure that the welding being performed is in accordance with any of the wps's issued to the shop floor. as a reference, look at D1.1 clause 6.3...that entire clause was re-written in the 2006 edition and tightened up in 2008 and continues as such in 2010.

based on that code requirement, i tend to "grill" the fabricator's QC more than the welder on the wps. "to whom much is given, much will be expected" or something like that..

whether or not a welder fully understands the wps as it is written can greatly depend on their comprehension abilities and besides, honestly, some wps's are written so poorly that even the best trained person has difficulty comprehending it.

maybe what matters more is that the welders understand the purpose of the wps and how following it as closely as possible is a good thing. i like to illustrate it like a "recipe"...if the wps is well written every welder can "add" their own little "dash of spice" or whatever and the "dish" will still turn out ok; others will like it and ask for more!

when i interview welders i never expect them to know the wps verbatim..."do unto others as you would have them do unto you"...but i do hope that they can take me to where they keep the wps's and show me the one they are actually welding to and maybe, just maybe, they can find the essential variables that they are expected to work within. if they struggle with that, either they didn't pay attention during the training class, or there was little or no training.

on the other hand, i like to interview fitters as well because there is quite a bit of information on that wps that applies to them; joint fit-up, etc.

oh well, that's my 2cents

ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS posting