Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / 3mm fillet weld
- - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 06-02-2011 00:03
Hello all
when i weld 3 mm fillet weld lap joint , how many layers should i do ? i guess it would be only 1 layer but a welder told me that it would be 2 layers first root and cap
and i would like to ask what is the maximum gap of fillet weld lap joint between the two materials to be welded
thank you
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-02-2011 00:40
What Code?
Parent - - By mohamed radwan (*) Date 06-10-2011 00:49
AWS D1.1
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2011 17:15
3mm is slightly less than 1/8 inch...  SMAW, GMAW or FCAW fillets should be quite easily made on this thickness in a single pass in any position.

In fact, some welders might have difficulty avoiding overwelding and making a larger than reqiured weld.

Mohamed....  I think you should have your welder make a practice weld his own way (with two passes) and then measure that weld together.  I think you will find the weld is much larger than 3mm.   This should settle your issue.

As far as fitup tollerances...  Look at D1.1 Clause 5 (fabrication) and 3 (prequalified joints) for fitup tollerances.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2011 21:55
What process and what material thickness?

Lawrence is really right in there but it could make a difference with some materials if it were required to run a quick seal pass first (say with GTAW and no filler to keep it small) then run your cap pass for size.  But I can think of very few circumstances that would lend themselves to that.

That size weld will ALMOST always be a single pass fillet weld (a lap weld will be a fillet weld that should be at least 1/16" smaller than the material thickness so you can see the edge of the material). 

Your welder doesn't understand proper procedure and application if they think all welds must have a root first and then a cap.  I just ain't so.  Especially on such small welds.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-11-2011 00:52
(a lap weld will be a fillet weld that should be at least 1/16" smaller than the material thickness so you can see the edge of the material). 

unless your material is under 1/4" fig.2.4 (2006) the latest edition I have at home
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2011 04:53
True, and there are other exceptions as well.  And as the OP stated 3/16" welds it is quite possible the material is either 3/16 or 1/4".  But that is why I asked about thickness.  I was stating a general condition but thank you for that clarification.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-11-2011 15:43 Edited 06-11-2011 15:47
Just curious but, how is thread or the one below it have anything directly related to the term this section is titled with???

I ask this because after all, this is the "Metallurgy " section in the forum, but what do I know? (I am intentionally being facetious here:wink:)

Respectfully,
Henry
- By mohamed radwan (*) Date 06-25-2011 12:40
Hello
thank you all for this helpful information it really helped me , and i  would like to inform you that the welder welded this lap joint with first pass only with electrode diameter of 2.5 mm and the electrode is E7018 , and the weld is accepted.
Now i have another question , it may looks like i'm not have the enough experience , the welder welded first pass for butt weld with electrode E7018 and the second pass he started to weld it with Electrode E6013 , i told him not to and he should have brought E7018 and then weld it , he told me it's ok and this won't affect the metallurgy of the weld so i told him ok and weld , so he welded the second pass with E6013 as the butt weld was two passes , the root pass E7018 and the cap was E6013 , is that possible or not ?
Thank you all again
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / 3mm fillet weld