Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how to find the voltage and amps of a Power Mig 140c
- - By morrical24 Date 06-27-2011 18:24
Hello everyone. Been reading the post for awhile now, it has helped me out a lot. I am a relatively new CWI (2 yr). I have been able to figure some of this stuff out on my own, and of course this great forum, but now I’m stumped. I need to fill out a WPS for a sheet steel process but the welders we are using do not have a voltage or amperage meter. It is the Power mig 140c. Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do?
       Thanks in advance
            A. Morrical
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-27-2011 18:33
Use a multimeter to measure the voltage and a tong meter for the amperage. Some multimeters have the capability to measure both.

Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 06-27-2011 19:16
Instead of the volts and amps, put the Wire Feed Speed, and the dial/range settings.  I have done this before on the old Millermatic 160.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-27-2011 20:46 Edited 06-27-2011 20:52
I think Joe's alternative is viable (probably).

If you do prepare your WPS's with dial settings for your Lincoln PowerMig 140's... You *must* be careful to consider that your WPS is only going to be valid for that exact model # power supply. (which you should record on the WPS).   Since you are not recording actual amperage and voltage values, you must limit the usability of your procedure to the exact equipment designated for production/testing.

You are doing sheetmetal work..  What code must your WPS comply with?

Al's alternative is also viable.... In his case you would need to calibrate each power supply serial # and the current values and voltage values recorded at each production number to be used.   In other words... 6 on the wire feed dial may be recorded at 75 amps on that power mig... But what is 7 or 9...  those numbers must be recorded as well to have a range to work within.. Unless you simply eliminate any range selection and go with a simply statement like

:Amperage 75 amps or WFS 6 on Lincoln Powerwave Model # XXXXX

Same deal with voltage values

That's the price you pay for doing code work with garage welders   :)
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 06-28-2011 00:43
Hmm, it's info like this that reminds me to think outside of the box when confront with unusual situations.
- - By morrical24 Date 06-28-2011 10:27
Thanks guys, I am stuck between 2 codes, the D1.3 and D1.6. It seems that the D1.6 will give me a more wide range of qualifications. But the work is strictly Sheet steel, nothing thicker. As to my earlier post I’m relatively new at this, kind of got thrown to the wolves with no mentor, Some of this makes perfect since and sometimes I’m scratching my head for an hour or so. If I go with D1.6 I was thinking B-L1-G. Vertical. If I go with D1.3 it looks like I would have to do The T-joint and the square butt joint to get all the areas covered. I don’t know guys; this one has gotten me stumped. Stuck between a rock in a hard place I guess.
    Thanks in Advance
      A. Morrical
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-28-2011 14:26
D1.3 is a code for structural sheet steel

D1.6 is a code for structural stainless steel.

Maybe give some thought to D9.1 sheet metal code, which can qualify procedures of a variety of sheet metals.
- By morrical24 Date 06-28-2011 15:21
Yup, I QC in a general fab shop, from waste water treatment plants to structural on power plants, belt filter presses to ornamental chairs. It’s such a wide scope. On top of everything we do we are going through the AISC audit soon and I have to have all my welders Certified to them all (oh boy)... I have a general test to cover most of what we do. But now I’m on the nitpicky end of it. 304, 316 stainless 14 gauge and up, and carbon too. What to do what to do. LoL
           Thanks in advance
         A. Morrical
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / how to find the voltage and amps of a Power Mig 140c