Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of ammonia vessel
- - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 07-13-2011 16:57
Recently, we have opened up an ammonia vessel for inspection. We found a crack of 8" length and 8 mm depth along side a T section of welds.
The vessel is of 17.4 mm thickness and no PWHT has been done. Construction material is SA-212 Gr. B.
The damage mechanism as per our understanding is stress corrosion cracking.
What should be the repair strategy?
Pressure design thickness is 13.5 mm and to repair the defected area is mandatory for continuous operation.
If we perform weld build up, should be go for PWHT? If yes, would local PWHT work?
And what should be done to qualify the repair? Radiography or hydrostatic test?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 07-13-2011 18:25
Not to be a smartass but if your working on pressure vessells your company should
have an R stamp  and The ASME code books pertaining to pressure vessells. sounds
like your trying to epair something your not qualified to do imho
Parent - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 07-14-2011 03:11
Actually, I want to seek advise of experts who have done repairs inside an ammonia vessel.
We are in a process of establishing a repair procedure in accordance with API 510, NBIC however any expert's advise would help.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-13-2011 19:18
Customer spec. Engineering approval. NBIC. Just a start.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 07-14-2011 22:43
We have found a few shallow cracks in ammonia vessels, typically 1/8" deep or less. None of these repairs have required welding.  All of our vessels are normalized A516-70 with PWHT and have a corrosion allowance that allows for grinding out shallow cracks.

The federal regulations require repairs to meet NBIC requirements. This would permit use of the Alternate Repair Methods of NBIC to avoid PWHT. Having said that, the lack of PWHT is why you have experienced SCC. A proper repair would require PWHT of the seam welds to prevent additional cracking. Faced with a similar situation, we would consider either a temper bead welding repair or PWHT of the weld seam after repair. You might also want to look at replacing the vessel rather than risk continued cracking and the cost of repairs.
Parent - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 07-15-2011 05:12
Thanks for your useful reply.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2011 12:12
ashfaqanwer

I sent a reply to your post earlier, but it seems to have disappeared. 

I recommend that you get on to the NACE (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) Forum.  The welding information on that Forum has a lot more technical welding information than the AWS Forum.  When you describe the type of use that your pressure vessel gets, and the temperature and the product chemistry, you get a lot of good technical feedback. 

The NACE Forum group has a lot more detailed welding and fabrication information than the AWS Forum, when it comes to weldments in chemical and petroleum process applications.

In your original post you mention the 8" crack, and the location, but you do not mention WHY you understand it to be Stress Corrosion Cracking.  Was a forensic root cause analysis performed, or was this just a guess?

Joe Kane
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 07-15-2011 12:36
Joseph P. Kane

The O.P. posted the same query multiple places.
Your reply is here
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=214995;hl=

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2011 12:58
I hate it when guys do that.  Just put it up once so all the replies can be in the same place and without repeating ourselves. 

Off soapbox.  Sorry for hijack. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2011 13:25
I merged the two seperate threads into this one...so if there is confusion in the way this thread flows, that is why.
Parent - - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 07-15-2011 13:02
Thanks for your suggestion. I will get some piece of advise from NACE forum too.

The reason we understand it to be stress corrosion cracking is that this vessel contains anhydrous ammonia and has a history of cracks (two times). At that time, microscopic examinations were also performed and the reason was declared as stress corrosion cracking.

This time around, we are also performing our investigations based upon the observations and collecting the operational history too so that we can see the conditions (water, oxygen levels) to assess the damage mechanism. The vessel is very old (1966 built) and constructed from an obsolete material SA-212 Gr. B which has been discontinued.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-16-2011 22:46 Edited 07-16-2011 22:55
A few comments.

Anhydrous ammonia (NH3) can be stored in two different ways:
a) pressurized, at ambient temperature. "Pressurized", in this case, means the equilibrium pressure of ammonia at ambient temperature, that you'll find on chemical engineering handbooks. "Ambient temperature", in this case, means a temperature that will never be reached in your location, like 100ºF (nearly 38ºC) in Alaska. The reason is that the inside pressure of the tank will never surpass the design one. In this case, the storage vessel will fall under ASME VIII Div 1.
b) at low pressure and cryogenic temperature. In this case, the storage vessel will fall under API 620 Appendix R, in which the design pressure is (or at least was years ago) 10 psig. "Low pressure" means 10 psig and "cryogenic temperature" is the equilibrium temperature of ammonia at 10 psig, that you'll find in chemical engineering manuals.
The material your tank is made of, A 212 Gr B, that has been long replaced by A 515 Gr 70, would suggest that you tank belongs to the a) class.  

In my opinion, your cracks were not produced by stress corrosion cracking, because stress corrosion cracking is the one that develops in austenitic stainless steels due to the presence of chlorides, even in very low concentration, when the steel is submitted to stress.
This is not your case, because your steel is plain carbon. 
Now, anhydrous ammonia isn't a strong corrosion agent when in contact with carbon steel. 1/8 of an inch of extra wall thickness as corrosion allowance would be sufficient. So, also in my opinion, your cracks have been produced by another reason that should be investigated.
First of all: are you sure that they're cracks and not another type of corrosion, pitting for example? The presence of moisture and/or oxygen in the ammonia will produde pitting, not cracks. If they're definitely cracks, has the vessel been subject to sudden temperature changes?

Regarding the repair you're concerned with, I don't see great difficulties in doing them, as your steel is plain carbon, equivalent to A 515 Gr 70. Grind the cracks until they've been completely ground off, which you'll see through a liquid penetrant test, and fill the groove with a plain carbon filler: E 7015 or 7018 if you're using SMAW or an equivalent wire if you use MIG. After the repair it should be carried out a hydro test. However, with your client's approval, it may be replaced by full Xray test.
The idea of PWHT shouldn't be discarded, as suggested by the other gentlemen that have answered your posting.

In my opinion, your main problem is not how to repair the corrosion that your tank has developed. The main problem are the safety precautions that should be taken for the people that will work inside your tank, especially for the welders. Ammonia is a poisonous gas, impossible to breath. You know already how ammonia smells like.
Gas masks are difficult to wear by welders, who must also wear their visual mask. You should get rid of all ammonia before your welders walk into the tank. One way to do this is to fill the tank completely with water and draining it. If the ammonia smell still persists, do it again.      

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 07-16-2011 23:48
Giovanni,

SCC is a known mechanism for cracking in liquified ammonia vessels.  I was somewhat shocked myself to learn that SCC can occur in carbon steels, however it does happen.  Here is a link to some reading on the subject:

http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=164&ID=182

http://www.tappi.org/Downloads/unsorted/UNTITLED---97Apr85pdf.aspx
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-17-2011 15:45
You (me, in this case) learn something new every day.
Giovanni S. Crisi
- - By ashfaqanwer (*) Date 07-14-2011 14:43
Recently, we have opened up an ammonia vessel for inspection. We found a crack of 8" length and 8 mm depth along side a T section of welds.
The vessel is of 17.4 mm thickness and no PWHT has been done. Construction material is SA-212 Gr. B.
The damage mechanism as per our understanding is stress corrosion cracking.
What should be the repair strategy?
Pressure design thickness is 13.5 mm and to repair the defected area is mandatory for continuous operation.
If we perform weld build up, should be go for PWHT? If yes, would local PWHT work?
And what should be done to qualify the repair? Radiography or hydrostatic test?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-14-2011 15:50
I suggest you get on the NACE Forum, and pose this question.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-15-2011 14:05
ashfaqanwer,
There is nothing wrong with asking for advice/opinions as to why your vessel has developed cracks as there are some very knowledgeable gentlemen on this forum but as to how to fix it - hire a Welding Engineer / Metallurgist or someone else who is qualified for vessel repairs.
How will you go after your vessel explodes and the judge asks for your technical justification for not doing PWHT and you say you got it off a welding forum ?
Not a good idea !
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of ammonia vessel