Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / handrail question-code
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-31-2011 01:36
Does anybody know the section number where I can find out this question. Ok, say you have a set of exterior stairs 10' wide. Handrail on both sides but what/where is there anything to say when a third railing would be required in the middle. I'm looking at the IBC 2012 and have been reading most everything in chapter 10/11 so far. Thanks for any info!

Shawn
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-31-2011 03:05
Shawn

No matter what the IBC says, the Local Jurisdictions usually have different rules for hand rails, that over ride the IBC rules.  You have to check with the Local Jurisdiction and the local building department.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-31-2011 11:36
I remember talking to somebody about it years ago but just can't remember.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2011 21:35
I'll have to do some checking to see WHERE it is, rather IBC, ADA, or local, but I believe I have always had to add a middle rail when over 8 feet in width.

Most of my references are at the shop. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2011 09:36
That's what I was thinking Brent, over 8 feet wide required a middle rail because the railing could not be more than so many feet apart or they(people) had to be within so many feet of a rail when entering a wide set of stairs. I'll have to check ADA again, perhaps I saw it in there.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-31-2011 03:58
ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] has specifications too. These apply to most commercial or public places. The may be mentioned in the local codes, or might be required even if not mentioned.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-31-2011 22:08
Does something as simple as a handrail need to be covered by a Code?
Handrails are described on the Structural Steel General Specifications of many engineering companies.
I've got two of those specifications. Does someone want to have a copy? Just ask for it.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-01-2011 00:27 Edited 08-01-2011 00:33
Dr. Crisi

Not only are handrails covered by different national codes, but by organizations such as Major League Baseball.  Shopping malls, schools, theaters, catwalks, and even residences are frequently covered by different codes even in the same jurisdiction!  The local NOMA (Ornamental Metals Association) is often a good source for the best information.  I know of a case where a man went to the local building department and was told the wrong information about the railing requirements by the local building department engineer.  When the inspector from the same building department arrived, he denied the certificate of occupancy, because he knew the local code and the Engineer at that building department did not!!!!  The rails were not constructed nor installed to code!

In my own home town, a local shopping mall spans the border of two townships and there are two different railing requirements for each end of the mall.  In a good example; One town allows a bedroom sliding door to open on to an inground swimming pool deck, while the neighboring town requires the pool to have a 4 foot high fence all around it, with an alarm on the gate.

I was the inspector at a local county baseball stadium, and I complained about 20 inch high rails on the upper tier sky boxes.  I was overruled because Major League Baseball rules called for an unobstructed view down to the home plate, and that called for a 20 inch high rail.  I said that some fan with three beers in his belly would walk down the steps, with four beers and a tray of hot dogs in his hand, and fall over on to the fans in the regular seating below.  On Opening Night of the first game, they were shooting Team Tee Shirts into the stands from a cannon on the pitcher's mound. a fan from the upper deck reached out a little too far to make a catch, fell and made a paraplegic of one fan below and fractured the shoulder of the fan sitting in the next seat. The guy who fell just got a broken arm.

So you see, that safety often takes second or even third place.

Joe Kane
Parent - By sparksandslag (**) Date 08-01-2011 03:00
Puts a whole new perspective on the term "Government Intelligence", don't it?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-01-2011 09:41
Sure does, the IBC covers heights, ground clearance between the surface of the walkway to the bottom rung, baluster spacing and they even call out what type of load the railing should be able to handle. The IBC has several pages of information and if you then add on ADA or anything your local codes might throw in there it gets pretty crazy.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-31-2011 22:32
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/julqtr/pdf/29cfr1910.23.pdf
Midrail would be part of design to meet load requirements.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-01-2011 16:53
Section 1012.9 of the California Building Code specifies intermediate handrails such that all portions of the stairway are within 30" of a handrail.  I'll check the International Building Code next.

Bob
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-01-2011 16:54
Section 1012.8 of the International Building Code says the same thing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / handrail question-code