Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Terminology
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-02-2011 22:09
Please give me your best definitions of QC and QA....
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-02-2011 22:23 Edited 08-05-2011 14:25
qcrobert

What is this a trick question  :smile:

QC (Quality Control)

QA (Quality Assurance)

One does the checks (QC)

The other makes sure there is a plan and it is satisfactorily implemented and audited for possible improvement (QA)

We don't have QA as such in the company I work for, Just a VP to chew my butt when something slips through, fortunately nothing slips through.

Good Luck
Marshall

In a dream I realized the answer was not well thought out or given.

AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, June 22, 2010

Quality control. Controls and inspections implemented by the fabricator or erector, as applicable, to ensure that the material provided and work performed meet the requirements of
the approved construction documents and referenced standards.

Quality assurance. Monitoring and inspection tasks performed by an agency or firm other
than the fabricator or erector to ensure that the material provided and work performed by
the fabricator and erector meet the requirements of the approved construction documents
and referenced standards.  Quality assurance includes those tasks designated “special
inspection” by the applicable building code.

Sorry about any confusion
ME :cool:
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-02-2011 22:28

>fortunately nothing slips through<

Damn you're better than I am, Marshall!

QC:  Making sure that you wash your hands after you go to the toilet.

QA:  Not peeing on your hands in the first place.

At our facility I'm the QA Manager but really should read QA/QC Manager...
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 08-05-2011 17:39
I,m stealing your quote "You don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect."  I have a boss that needs to hear it slowly over and over again. Maybe even have it posted after all my e-mails. Love it Thanks
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-05-2011 19:07
You're most welcome to it and yes it is in my signature after my name on all interoffice emails....:cool:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-03-2011 22:34
In technical function they are different as Marshall pointed out.  But in most shop applications they severly overlap. 

I see QC as what the shop personel do, and QA as what the customer TPI does. 

Now, if the shop has a good QA/QC dept, then the inspectors are doing QA after the floor personel do QC.  Then, The TPI should not have to do much of anything though their work is still titled as QA.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-04-2011 13:57 Edited 08-04-2011 15:56
That's a great description!  And basically what happens here.  The welders of course check their own work and are very consciencious in that they disdain repair rework no matter how minor.

The shop foreman (one per the three depts) performs in progress dimensional checks, proper consumables, filler wire, process parameters, etc..  It helps that all three foremen have been employed here for over 18 yrs each.

I spend most of my time in the shop and perform the same duties.  Before the fabricated part may leave the area to go to blast, paint or laydown yard, (be it a ladder, beam, cyclone, tank, pressure vessel), it must be marked QC "checkmark".  After final paint or before shipment, same examination ocurrs with application of stickers including a final QA sticker with our logo.

All in progess fabrication notes, checklists, mtrs, tests, nde & photos are electronically filed and a copy made available for Client's Inspector if required.  We deal with third party inspectors that represent our Clients from New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Canada, England and thruout the USA.

Thanks for the comments,
QCRobert
- - By jbndt (**) Date 08-05-2011 17:08
So Robert,

"At our facility I'm the QA Manager but really should read QA/QC Manager... "

Would you then be refered to as the "Quack Manager"

It's been a LOOOOONG week!
Have a great weekend all!

Cheers,
jb
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 08-05-2011 19:04
Shoot I would gladly answer to that than my names on the Bo John walls!:razz: