Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR Out of Date?
- - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-05-2011 22:22
Submitted a WPS w/ a PQR and was told the PQR was too old.  Is that right?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2011 22:50
Which Code?

Perhaps a manufacturing contract requires a specific edition code book?

I know guys doing Section IX work from PQR's originally done in the 1970s
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 08-06-2011 01:03
Thanks Lawrence,  D1.4-09. 

I got a hold of the guy and he told me the test was done in 2009 and the WPS was written just a few months ago.  I said "Oh".  Then he pointed out the 1/8" root opening dimention shown in the joint picture and said it was not the same size back-up they used in the field, and I said "Oh".
Then he said that we could all talk to the EOR Monday.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-06-2011 01:28
It usually depends on the customer code.  I just finished auditing 580 documents for an oil project.  The oil company specs were custom written for their applications.  Although they did invoke AWS D1.1 and ASME and API codes there were specific contractural words that said that WPQ's expired after 7 years and that requalification is required.  Now in some cases deviations were allowed but formal deviation requests had to be submitted by the fabricators and approved by the customer engineering authority.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-06-2011 05:30
Hi guys,
AWS D1.5 allows a duration of 5 years only for PQRs,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 08-22-2011 00:42
And How about if we have this problem:

We have old PQR for P1 vs P1...If we want to use WPS/PQR for material A (material unaccepted by ASME at that year when WPS/PQR have been made) , but now is acepeted by ASMEā€¦Can we use that WPS/PQR, or shall we need requalification of that WPS??
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-25-2011 19:47
As long as the PQR materials were accepted by ASME IX and were actually P1 then you can use it for any material that later becomes P1. This happens all of the time. New materials are being introduced regularly and you do not have to requalify every time. This is actually one of the primary reasons for having a P No system.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-25-2011 19:49
I sure would like someone to explain the logic of this.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / PQR Out of Date?