Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Pin removing
- - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-07-2011 06:05
I learned this trick yesterday. Had some pins on a rolling tail board stuck and i mean stuck i was heating and beating them out with a 20lb sledge when the boss came up and asked me why i didnt use a candle i looked at him funny and he brought me a candle we heated up the rollers applied the candle to the roller the wax penetrates alot better and easier than wd-40 to a hot surface i went from 250 hits per pin to 2 i thought he was nuts but dang if it didnt work
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-08-2011 02:52
I will keep that in mind. The WD40 probably evaporated, rather than go where it was needed.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-08-2011 05:04
Yes dave it evaporated very fast on the hot surface the wax worked wonders
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 07-08-2011 17:40 Edited 07-08-2011 17:44
My wife makes me use scented candles so I smell better when I come home.....:wink:

Also works great to keep your zippers (jackets, jeans, etc.) free.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 07-09-2011 13:23
it was a cinamin (spelling) scented candle lol but worked very well use to use it to keep the sparks of the laces on my boots works good but it dont last long
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-09-2011 14:50
pretty neat trick.  makes sense    Parrafin makes abrasives cut much faster as well.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-10-2011 06:55
Tommyjoking,
How do you use paraffin on abrasives?
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 07-10-2011 07:02
You should use paraffin on grinding pads when grinding on aluminum.  Keeps the pads from loading up.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-10-2011 12:43
sorry I should have elaborated
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 07-10-2011 16:00 Edited 07-10-2011 16:02
X2 on paraffin on sanding disc's. I also use it on my band saw blades. When using my portaband in the field I use bar soap because where I live the paraffin will just be a melted glob of goo in the truck. I also use Non-Ferrous grinding disc's on all the non-ferrous material I work with. They do not load up or need any wax because they are designed for that purpose.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-10-2011 15:44
As 99205 said, I use it on grinding and sanding wheels for aluminum.  I have rubbed the surface of the alum with it before grinding, or applied it to the grinding wheel every so often.  I have been trying to remember another product I recently used for the same purpose- keeping the wheels and pads from loading up. 

I have also used it in other applications on steel when using cut off discs for deep cuts.  Helps keep the blade from binding up as it gets full depth and expands due to heat build up.  Just rub some on both sides of the cut off disc/wheel. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-10-2011 17:04
Hey, thanks everyone for that info on the paraffin use. The only thing I've seen like that was to use WD-40 on grinding wheels when cleaning off galvanize for weld prep and keeps the wheels from loading up with zinc.
Back to the original post... We used to use hot diesel for a penetrant on stubborn bolts, on heat exchangers and steam lines when I was in refinery maintenance. It seemed to soak in better than WD-40 or even Kano-Kroil.

Aroma therapy scented candles! ....bwahahaha... What next? Dr. Phil reruns on your iPod?
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 07-25-2011 00:47
I think we've been duped by the makers of WD-40.  The name once stood for Water Displacement  formula perfected on the 40th try.  Now they're pretending like it's a penetrating oil and a preservative.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 08-06-2011 01:41
Try Lava soap bar to keep the metal from loading up on abrasive wheels and cutting surfaces. I learned this little trick from an older hand. He always had one in his tool box and one day i finally just had to ask, because it had striations in it. He told me it works good, and it doesn't melt. :wink:
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-06-2011 02:29
In the tool and die shops We used wax products on surface grinder wheels to keep from loading the wheel as badly. One was a hard wax made for the purpose, the other was the protective "dip" coating that is on cutters when You get them back from being sharpened. Both helped.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-12-2011 02:12
Sounds like a good trick, gonna have to remember that one.
- - By jbndt (**) Date 07-31-2011 19:09
WD-42 ????  :grin:

Cheers,
jb
Parent - By rookiewelder (*) Date 10-27-2011 03:36
used this trick just today worked great! thanks for a great site full of great info
- By canaan (*) Date 11-15-2011 01:50
Worked great thanks
- By Hughes Welding (*) Date 05-27-2012 01:12
We used a lube called edge at a shop I worked at.  Comes in a tube like caulking. Rub some on the surface b4 and during while using a sanding pad. Keeps it from loading up.
- By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-05-2012 00:50
Older post but thought this might help out...

Boeing makes a special formulated parrafin that is heat resistant for grinding and machining purposes....

[url=]www.browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid=255&txtSearch=boelube&List=1&SortField=ProductName,ProductNumber[/url]

I have used that stuff for years in the push up tubes, it works well.  It is especially great on high speed (I.E. carbide burrs, end mills or sanding with high rpm tools) cutting or grinding operations.  

BTW if you keep a full boat drill index this is a good place to buy replacement bits from.  Good quality and reasonably priced.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Pin removing