Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / LED LIGHT WON'T SHOW CRACKS IN ALUMINUM WELDS
- - By 100perpen (*) Date 08-31-2011 23:28
We discovered this today. Has enyone else found this to be true?
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 09-01-2011 16:47
Quite the opposite.  I find the LED lights to be far more effective at showing up discontinuities of all kinds than the incandescent lights.  However, there are all sorts of techniques applied to the use of lights in the inspection process.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-01-2011 20:45
there are many different visual effects that welds can play on your eyes.
What kind is it?
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-01-2011 20:47
whats the approx angle?
30% no less?
Parent - - By BankerQC (*) Date 09-27-2011 19:19
I dont recall all of the specific details, but there are some specifications and thier test methods that specifically do not allow certain types of lights due to the wavelengths produced and/or the ability of various inspection/test media to reflect them.
If I recall correctly this mostly applies to the use of certain types of penetrant and and magnetic partical examinations.
Please dont qutoe me but I think Va. Power has some restrictions involving these lights.
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 09-27-2011 22:03
The cheaper dimmer "white" led lights mess with my eyes when trying to use them to find defects, even worse when the lighting quality of the area is poor to begin with. The blueish hue they give off seems to make more shadows, most often when its a tiny crack or defect your looking for in a tight shadowy area.
The REALLY bright ones work OK just from the volume of light they provide, it kinda masks the blue color.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / LED LIGHT WON'T SHOW CRACKS IN ALUMINUM WELDS