Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of ASTM A285 - Firebox Steel
- - By cewpe Date 09-01-2011 12:49
I am working on drawings for the relocation of trunnion castings on a 30 ton casting ladle for a foundry.  The existing trunnion support casting is attached to the exterior of the 7/8" "ASTM A285 - Firebox" ladle wall with rivots.  I plan to have the rivots removed and the entire casting and trunnion assembly raised higher on the ladle to allow for controlled tipping of the ladle.  The casting will then be welded to the exterior of the ladle instead of using rivots.  Can anyone offer guidance regarding WPS - preheating, electrodes,...etc. 

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-01-2011 19:23
ASTM A285 is a very well known low carbon steel, so there shouldn't be any difficulties in welding it. I assume that the applicable code in this case would be AWS D1.1 (structural steel welding). I also guess that the welding will be a fillet one.
Preheat until it's warm to the hand. The welded surfaces must be prefectly clean.
If you're talking of SMAW (covered electrodes), I'd suggest E7010 for the first pass and E7015 or 7016 for the subsequents.
After each pass, remove thoroughly the slag by means of a grinding disk.
7/8 inches thickness require post weld heat treatment.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-02-2011 14:48
You mention casting for the trunions. Do you know the chemistry of the casting that you are trying to weld?

There may be a reason the castings are riveted to the ladle.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of ASTM A285 - Firebox Steel