Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS thickness range qualified based in AWS D1.1 and AWS B2.1
- - By jcadena Date 09-12-2011 20:54
regards, please let me clarify the following question

Because, to qualify a welding procedure using AWS D1.1 described the range of thickness is 1/8 to 2T?, and to qualify a welding procedure using AWS B2.1 range is from 1/16 to 2T? (for Groove Welds) , What is the difference?, A WPS qualify using AWS B2.1 WPS meets the requirements of AWS D1.1?, I can use a  WPS qualified  using AWS B2.1, in the manufacture of a structure based on AWS D1.1?
and finally,
I can qualify a procedure for welding a sheet of thickness less than 1/8" using AWS D1.1?

thanks in advance for your comments
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-12-2011 23:39
Two different welding standards, two different thickness ranges qualified two different sets of essential variable.

The Engineer (owner's representative) would have the final say whether a procedure qualified to B2.1 is acceptable for work performed to D1.1. The Engineer can insist that the procedures be qualified in strict compliance with D1.1. This is a case where the influence of ASME philosophy of what essential variables can cause a problem when working to AWS D1.X welding codes.

If you are working on a project that requires compliance with D1.1, why are you looking to use a procedure or why are you considering qualifying the procedure to B2.1? That doesn’t sound like a prudent move if you compare the essential variables of B2.1 against those of D1.1.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jcadena Date 09-13-2011 18:55
I have understanding that  AWS B2.1 is a general standard to qualify welding procedures and can be applied to a wide range of welding processes, materials and filler metals, but does not specify whether the WPS can be used for any type of structure or has a limitation on the type of structure to be welded. It's part of my question.

The other hand, I need to splice structural tube thickness of 2.5 mm (tube 120x60x2.5 mm) and butt weld in 1G position, and the client requests a qualified procedure that complies with AWS D1.1, but agree with table 4.2 (AWS D1.1-2004) (expect no change in the latest version) I can only test plates 1/8 to 3/8 inch. therefore, I can not make the specimen with a thickness of 2.5 mm, and if I perform the test on a plate of 3 mm (1/8 inch), the range would be qualified for 3 to 6 mm, so I can not qualify under AWS D1.1. Do not I have clear whether the welding to splice structural tube in thickness less than 3 mm is outside the scope of D1.1?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-14-2011 03:58
The thickness range you describe is less than that covered by D1.1, however, the Engineer (representing the owner) has the authority (under D1.1) to accept unlisted materials, thickness ranges, welding procedures qualified to a different welding standard, alternate acceptance criteria, ect.

Check your project specifications to verify which edition of D1.1 is applicable. To assume there are no changes from one edition to the next is a serious mistake that can cost the owner large sums of money.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jcadena Date 09-14-2011 12:29
thank you very much for your comments,

best regards
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS thickness range qualified based in AWS D1.1 and AWS B2.1