Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rescued and old track torch
- - By weldwade (***) Date 09-22-2011 18:00
About 25 years ago I dug this old machine out of a load of scrap steel. It was really beat up! I finally got all the parts and pieces rounded up and got it working again. Total investment was time about $20.00 at radio shack and some red paint out of a rattle can. I found three lengths of track with it that were in decent condition also. Works really good for what I have in it:grin: The gearbox does need replaced but other than that I am a happy camper:wink:
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-22-2011 18:33
very nice
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-22-2011 18:49
I've got a similar one.. Not a twin brother but in the family.

If you are going by factory tip charts to determine your travel speed for a given thickness, it's a good idea to calibrate your track burner about every six months.... I've found that the inches per minute can change pretty significantly with the seasons, even indoors.  Or maybe it's ancient rheostats simply wearning away...

Alot of people think (especially with Bug-o's) that the numbers on the dial represent inches per minute...  I've never found this to be the case if you actually measure how fast the torch travels in a minute  :)

The cut you made looks great... You prolly just use the *force* to set the thing eh?
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-22-2011 19:15
"tip charts to determine your travel speed " ? ? 
  The right size clean tip, proper oxy presser, netrual flame, proper distance from plate and crank up the speed until you see and hear it spittin' an' spruttern' just right.  That's calibrated, I.P.M. is for the estimator.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-22-2011 20:25
Thanks for setting me straight.

I don't know very much about this whole welding thing.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-23-2011 16:27
Maybe you could spend the rest of the day catching up.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-26-2011 13:35
Lawrence is one of the most informative and respected posters on this forum. You are not! I really don't think he needs (or deserves) any "advice" from you.
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-27-2011 01:50
Well I think you're right about you really not thinking, Northweldor.
Lawrence was thanking me for teaching him something and admitting that he "don't know very much about this whole welding thing. "
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-27-2011 03:30
North was right.

I agree with Al  Skag,  Your posts scare the hell out of me too.

But thanks for your golden nugget of wisdom.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-27-2011 12:37
Lawrence,
   I guess he missed the sarcasim DRIPPING off of that post. :wink: Maybe we need a "Dripping Sarcasim" smilie.

jrw159 :cool:
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-27-2011 15:08
Well, perhaps my humor is such that you do not recognize it as sarcasm but to use a smilie would really just take away from it.

But you are right some people just don't get it.  ?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-27-2011 15:34
:wink:

jrw159
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-27-2011 19:34
You are quite welcome Lawrence.  Yes those were some pretty bad things Al said about me in the other thread.  I hope he reads his D1.1 better and comes back and apologizes to me.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-28-2011 12:10
I now know that you just don't get it! Al is another poster that does not need or deserve any of your snide (NOT humorous) "advice".
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-28-2011 19:10
I'll bet you were a hall monitor.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 09-28-2011 19:16
Northweldor

Please stop feeding the Troll.

Marshall
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-22-2011 19:37
Hello weldwade, I've got a personal track burner similar to yours also. I believe mine is actually a "Heath Kit", Victor also built, or had a similar one built for their product line. As far as settings and such, I generally select tips, pressures, and the rest from the manufacturers suggestions, Travel speed is much more the result of analyzing the flame, amount and look of dross being emitted from the underside of the cut, and the sound. They are a very adequate and reliable machine. Enjoy yours and may the force be with you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 09-22-2011 21:47 Edited 09-22-2011 21:52
It does still read "Heath" on the nameplate. Somewhere on there it also said that it was build in Colorado but I can't remember off the top of my head in what city. I need to find a chart with IPM, tip size etc for reference though because as Lawrence mentioned I did and do use the "Force" to set it. I was actually teaching my oldest son how to use it for a project we are building for the shop. He wants to build a few things so he has that desire to learn what I do as a hobby for himself. He wants to be a Doctor and I am supporting that in every way possible. Not that there is anything wrong with this trade but he is more than smart enough to become a Doctor. I am enjoying this one very much! I have always used one at work but having my own for my shop is a welcome change. It must be because I have got busy on two shop projects now that I have it working:grin:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-22-2011 22:46
Sweet find! Those are slick as heck. We had one at the school and that was in 08', same one I used back in 98'. Tip size, travel speed? Never knew that! Always set it by watching how smooth the cut was and would fine tune as it traveled. Learn something new everyday! Thanks Lawrence!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-23-2011 00:00
The charts are just nice because they get you in the ball park quick... Saves putting dags and slags... 

I'll happily take 10 seconds to look at a chart to save even 10 seconds of grinding  :)

Two piece tips are also great with track burners... much faster
Parent - By Skaggydog (**) Date 09-23-2011 16:44
Now I get it.  You use the tip chart to clean your two piece tips, which are great with the right gas.  I'm going to gess that with OPs' one piece tip that he is using acetylene.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-26-2011 14:28
Want your money back ? I will even double your money !
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 09-26-2011 16:00
I think this one will be with me for a good long while more. You can use it anytime if im around you in Texas. Wait you are retiring ... you wont have time to waste on playing with welders toys.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-26-2011 17:25
Wade,
I didnt want to actually use it ! I just thought I would double your money then I could Triple mine !!
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 09-26-2011 19:44
I will trade you... mine has three tracks! lol
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 09-26-2011 16:05 Edited 09-26-2011 16:07
Cactus for your field work you don't want that type of track torch take a look at the track burner that Watts engineering puts out it uses a piece of 1 1/2x1 1/2 angle for track. Buddy of mine has one and it is way more versatile than my two Victor track burners at the school.

http://www.watts-specialties.com/w40.htm
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-26-2011 17:27
I have a KOIKE BEETLE. It works great ! I just dont see me using it anymore. I also have 2 tracks for it. The Tracks double as a GREAT Straight Edge.
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 09-28-2011 14:11
Anyone ever use a track setup called a Steelbeaver?  It was kind of handy, had a manual crank and clamped a common torch in it. I believe it had a couple circle attachments. Was very durable and great for field work.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-28-2011 18:36
Steelbeaver!  I used to date her.:lol:
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-29-2011 00:25
There's quite a few of them "Steelbeavers" walking around as well in the Pittsburgh area.:eek::grin::lol::twisted::roll::wink::cool:

Especially up in Beaver County!!!:yell::lol::lol::lol::grin::eek::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rescued and old track torch