Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / american job bills act
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-11-2011 18:17
why do we need this . each asnd everyone of us is going to have
to pay for another ****ed up odumba program.  all this president has to do
is stop giving out work visas to foreigners . this will shock you our leaders in
washington are giving away 125,000 jobs a month. it wouldn't cost a penny
to put over a million americans to work

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/beckr/august-19-2009/125000-brand-new-foreign-workers-work-permits-each-month-heres-proof.h
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-11-2011 18:38
If Presidents Bush and Obama had not already given away so much to bail out banks and auto makers I would be alot more willing to swallow a jobs bill..

Some of that visa stuff is really frustrating... businesses getting folks imported for lower wages... 

A significant fraction of the jobs associated with the problem you bring up relates to how Americans aren't qualified to do the work required..  This is a big systemic problem and the regional impact varies widely from state to state.

I'm not trying to argue Joe... Just trying to say that in my opinion there are *two* problems in the nutshell you describe, and two different solutions..  One short term and one long term.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-11-2011 18:54
if theirs a shortage of skilled workers maybe this country needs to do a better job of educating
the people for the jobs in demand. what about the latest bailout of the solar energy company
what a joke .
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-12-2011 14:42
That link is for visa data for the year 2008.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-12-2011 22:36
And the article was written in August of 2009...

Soooo, this information is currently inaccurate... Especially since the country being in a recession, there's current data showing that more illegals are leaving this country than are coming in to take our jobs...

Joe, these folks are giving you some very outdated data.:eek::roll::lol::wink::cool:

Henry
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-12-2011 23:08
wasnt talking about illegals  these are legal work visa's still being issued just not at such asn alarming rate.
until we have 1oo% employment  no visas
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-12-2011 23:15
the correct numberr is 65,000 a year still way to many in my opinion
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 00:18
Then you need to pester your congressional representative to change the current laws, or any other politician that will listen to you and,
that's highly unlikely to happen with the current crop in office.

Until then, ohh well - that's the way the cookie crumbles and besides, we're a nation of immigrants whether I or you like it or not - period!
After all, It's part of our history.

P.S. Please let me know when you do get the present laws changed so I can tell those folks who are "occupying Wall Street" and,
any other place to go home because they fixed everything in D.C. and all of the jobs are back for everyone who's unemployed.:yell::eek::roll::twisted:

Henry
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 10-13-2011 13:23
Henry your post reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day, "VOTE for NOBODY (currently in office)". Don't sound like to bad of a plan to me in most cases.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-13-2011 13:47
Bush was president when the figures Joe referred to were valid, so I guess that's what people did.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-13-2011 01:56
This was in a newspaper in India today:
http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/10/12/idINIndia-59858520111012

"So many U.S. manufacturing jobs, so few skilled workers."

"A survey by ManpowerGroup found that a record 52 percent of U.S. employers have difficulty filling critical positions within their organizations -- up from 14 percent in 2010."
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 10-13-2011 16:38
Has anyone seen the story on CBS news about Americans going to work in China?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/10/11/eveningnews/main20118864.shtml
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / american job bills act