Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Welder Shortage" news reports are total BS!
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-22-2011 00:25
I've grown weary of hearing multiple news reports on the so-called Welder Shortage in the USA.  Total BS.

I know many welders in my area who have 20 + years experience and nobody, and I mean NOBODY will hire them.
Then I see a local news report on TV praising the welding trades and local companies that turned these guys down saying they can't find skilled tradesmen.
It makes me want to vomit. 

The facts are:  if you have a single gray hair on your head, nobody wants to hire you for fear of a comp claim (it's that simple!).  I've worked for a comapny that told me this a few years back as they turned anyone over 40 away without a second thought and then whined about the young losers who never showed up and didn't know squat.  They went out of business!

This is a horrible trade and it pains me to say this.  Even the company I work for bit*ches all day long about lack of skilled labor and the 20-something hiring manager wonders why nobody wants to suck welding fumes for $13.00 hr when they can make the same wage at the local Lowes or Home Depot.   

America is getting what it deserves.  America in decline.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-22-2011 01:31
I just heard my friend talking about this today and i told him there is a shortage of highly skilled welders willing to work for 10 bucks an hour, there's no shortage it's BS. i'm also betting like you say the older someone is the more health problems there gonna have and this maybe another reason they won't hire them. It's all a bunch BS.

I tried driving a truck and realized hell I could just go work at Burger king and make the same amount of money and sleep in my own bed every night then work for that crap. It's gonna get even worse, I'm not to confident in this country right now to get back on track. I mean it will eventually but it's gonna stay SH*T for a while.

The one major thing is stop sending this cr*p to CHINA then we will have plenty of job or a better one, tax the h*ll out of the stuff coming back in.

It's gotta stop, I don't even feel this is america anymore I feel we are part of CHINA since he borrowed all that dam money.

Sorry guys maybe venting a little to much but I'm sick of all the crooked poleticians and everything.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 10-22-2011 11:45
No one wants to pay that is the "shortage" plenty of jobs looking for guys with 5-10 years exp, etc, ....... willing to pay 15 bucks an hour.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-22-2011 13:18
I'm not going to call BS on this..  But I have a much different story.

I get calls almost every day from employers asking me to send my program graduates their way.

Manufacturing employers come regularly to talk to my classes and BEG them to come and apply to work..

The shortage of welders in my region has driven up entry level wages about $2 per hour just over this last summer (which had gone down since about 2008)

My students range from 16 years old to 60  Employers will take anybody who can read a blueprint, pass a piss test and show up on time, welding skills are about #6 on the list.

Men with grey hair are encouraged to apply because they are grown ups and know how to show up to work every day.

Again I've seen every one of the things CWIwelder has complained about in the past... But not now...  This crisis thing is for real, and the industry players in my region are beginning to wake up and smell the coffee.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-22-2011 14:39
The probelm I see is they want a welder who can do it all for less than $15 hr.  I've had to tell older guys I know to downplay their resumes and take off years of relevant experience just to get the 20-something snot nosed hiring managers to look at you.  Even the TOP union welding shops in my area pay well under $20 hr.  Then theres the "you'll be working 60 to 70 hours a week mandatory overtime as we got this big contract".  They don't want to hire another guy so you'll have ZERO personal life and they will lay you off in a second once the order is complete.  Outfits like Caterpillar are whining how they can't get skilled welder when they laid off THOUSANDS of them in '09 and won't hire any of the gray hairs when they come in for an interview!  There are numerous internet posts about guys with 20+ years experience being denied employment by CAT while they whine to news media about skilled labor shortages.  We're no better than China!  I tell the young guys I see to get the heck out of this industry and go back to school.  For every $90K/yr welder out there, there are 100 or more who'll never break $40K per year.  The payscales in my area are the same as they were 20 years ago!  $13-$15 hr not including deductions for health care.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-22-2011 17:34
I've got a friend who works for CAT and seems like dam near every week he's begging me to move. I really don't want to move but it may come to it. He did say it was a union shop and I'm not to crazy about a union job from what friends and family have told me about them and what I have read i just don't care for them.

I was talking to him the other night he was talking about how easy it was and they don't work that hard and all which I asked how the hell does the company stay a float then. I don't know maybe because it is union and they whine about whatever and they don't have to work as hard who the hell know.

Go to indeed.com and you will see type in Welder and the state of IL and it is a prime example of all these 13-15 an hour jobs
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 10-22-2011 21:50
I currently work for a Caterpillar dealership (cashman equip),  and we are super busy repairing and rebuilding equipment for the mines.   Im a mechanic and welder with about 15 years experince and im very happy with the way were treated.    The welding jobs for cat that pay 13 bucks an hour are factory, production line work, where not much brains or skill are required. And yes they have laid off at the factories alot,   most companies are having the old machines rebuilt or repowerd vs buying new.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2011 15:44
About 5 years ago when I was turning wrenches I'd hear the same thing about "technicians/mechanics". I actually wrote to a magazine about my thoughts as to why there was a shortage. Basic's in a nutshell were there was no way I was letting my kids become a mechanic and work for a dealer so General Motors and their whiny azz union folks could screw them out of money everyday with mythical warranty times. They liked my article so much they published it!! Anyhow, I've heard about the welder shortage myself, kinda makes me think about mechanic thing without the big car dealers bending me over the hood!! I think somebody said there was a shortage of guys willing to work for $10/hour, might be on to something there!!

It's funny, I drove past a Wendy's years ago, hiring a manager starting at $35k + per year. This was when I worked for a large Caterpillar dealer. I laughed and thought, I don't make that with my "higher education" and besides, Wendy's would supply uniforms and I would not have to spend $700 a month on tools to do my job. Can't really say much about the welding though, I enjoy it, pays my bills and keep busy but then again I'm self employed not a wage slave. Might be different if I worked for somebody though.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-23-2011 02:16 Edited 10-23-2011 02:26
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8351462

Here you go. From just over a month ago.  Caterpillar CEO whines about lack of skilled WELDER labor force!   

I know many people with 20 + years experience, inculding myself, who have applied for welding and welding related employment at CAT and were TURNED DOWN!  They don't want skilled welders, they want CHEAP welders.  Here's what CAT pays for welders in the oh-so-inexpensive state of Illinois!  The cost of living in IL is among the highest in the NATION!  ELECTRON BEAM  WELDING EXPERINCE REQUIRED!!  $15.24 for graveyard shift!  $31,600 per year!  I was making this wage back in 1989!  That Wendy's Manager job at $35,000 doesn't look so bad after all.  All you young guys out there PLEASE, avoid the Welding trade at all costs as it's not getting any better, it's getting worse.

From the CAT web site:

Previous welding experience. 
Desirable Qualifications 
Welding Experience in a production environment 
Responsibilities 
Sets up, operates and adjusts manual and or automatic machines to perform fabrication operations such as arc welding, automatic welding, electron beam welding, hand brazing, etc. 
Job Posting Close Date 
This job opening will close at 11:59 (CST) on Sunday, December 11, 2011. 
Additional Information 
No Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Full Time Position is located at our Decatur, Illinois facility.
Wage: $15.24
Shift:  Second and Third
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-23-2011 03:26
Sorry, I also have a different take on things.  I began my career as a welder back in 1974 and quickly realized I didn't care for the way management treated welders but having an absolute love for the profession, I studied very hard and for a number of years.  Of course keeping positive in myself and having pride in my chosen field may have made some differences too.  I do NOT have a college degree but for the past 4 years have been raking in around $350K per year.  You want to succeed?  Work hard, look for opportunities and don't give up.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-23-2011 03:50
This post isn't about your $350K salary in New Zealand.  It's about the total media Buls**t in the USA about a WELDER SHORTAGE that DOES NOT EXIST.  Sorry if that was not made clear when I started the topic.

Curious...what do journeyman pipewelders, steamfitter, boilermakers or ironworkers earn actually WELDING down in NZ?  Or are those jobs that Kiwi's just won't do?  That's what the news media tells us here in the USA.  Americans just won't work in the trades so they need to bring in illegal overseas labor.  funny how all the union halls have hundreds of out-of-work people begging for jobs and when an auto plant announces they are hiring 10 people they get 5000 showing up to apply.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-23-2011 11:28
NZ wages for welders are probably no better than the USA.  I don't work in NZ I only live there.  I've worked in Kazakhstan for the past 4 years.  In some ways (wages) I agree with some of your comments but even more to the point, how many parents are encouraging a profession in the trades nowadays?  If there isn't a "real" shortage of craftsmen now, there certainly will be in our lifetimes and I think this applies across the board to all craft. 

Hoping not to turn this into a political discussion but big business just can't afford US labor rates; look at GM, look at the steel mills. 

Kids coming of age don't want to work for a living, they want to sit in front of a computer and play all day.

My advice is if you're still young then do something positive, if not then take that $10 / hour job at McDonalds and join the movement of America becoming a third world county.

I probably just got lucky but being involved in welding is all I've ever done and it's been damned good to me for 38 years.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2011 03:41
I wouldn't worry about the wages too much.  At the rate we are going the cost of living (housing first, much more to come)  will come down to meet the wage within a couple more years.

I was making that kind of money back in 1978.  And with some pretty good benefits on top of that (medical with eye and dental care, retirement, vacation pay, holiday pay, and more). 

But when you consider all the required expenses that young people have forced upon them today (Health care-maybe, auto insurance, life insurance-at least if you are buying a house, and many other things that were optional if even available back then) it is a wonder they can survive at all even with both of them working at average paying jobs.  At the average amounts that gas, cars, housing-even though currently devalued, food, utilities, health insurance, auto insurance, etc have gone up then we should have an average hourly income of about $40-50/hr.  Seriously, fuel was about 0.75/gal. Housing about 40,000 for a pretty nice home in Portland, OR.  Brand new Pontiac midsized car about $5,000.  Brand new 3/4 ton 4X4 PU was about $8-9000. (In 1981 we bought a brand new GMC Suburban with 6.2 desiel, power everything, 3/4 t, 4X4, etc for $20,000).  Everything has gone up at the rate of about 400%.  Fuel- $3.00. Housing-$160,000 (and more). Auto-$25,000.  And on and on. 

So why aren't wages even close?  Because we have allowed it.  Sure, those of us who own businesses know that our expenses to stay in business have gone sky high.  So we have to charge a lot more for our services and products and can't afford to pay employees what they are really worth.  It all comes back to all of the Government regulations and all of the mandatory insurances, taxes, safety equipment, new technology and other things that STEAL our money so we don't have anything to pay out to the help.  Currently I can't even pay myself half as much as I pay the help.  It all goes to keeping the company going.  Then, our property taxes have gone up about 75% in the last two years while our property values have been cut in half. 

I can understand them increasing the amount we pay per thousand to keep things level, even though I think they should take a cut right along with all the rest of us, but I can't understand them getting so much more while my property is worth so much less. 

There is only one thing left as an option.  Nothing else will work fast enough.  Good luck to all.  It isn't going to get easier for some time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-23-2011 13:39
All good points Brent! Years ago, well, since 1995 when I got married my household has been single income and many a time have I had people say, "bless your heart, how do you survive on one income?" $30-35k income. 40 and 50 years ago dad going to work, mom staying home with the kids worked out you could pay your basic's. We rarely if ever went out, movie rentals were something we dreamed about, food at home was mac n cheese and some hamburger helper type stuff if it was on sale. Splurging for us was the time my wife would come home with a bunch of chicken wings and cut them up and make buffalo wings for us once or twice a year. You can survive on 30-35 a year and yes, there are folks out there making less. Thing with making less is these folks get government assistance, food stamps, health care. At $30-35k you make to much but it's just enough to scrape by, trust me, we know. I ended up doing side work as a mechanic, working at Toys R Us after my illustrious job fixing $60,000- $80k cars and smiling about it!

"Currently I can't even pay myself half as much as I pay the help."

That seems to be pretty common! I got a friend and we were talking about Union concrete truck drivers up in the northeast and we got onto the subject about how much we make per hour as the owner. If I'm breaking minimum wage I'd be surprised!! I've been reading/hearing about the government asking small business what they can do to help us to get it where we can start to hire folks, grow our business's. Like you said, Property taxes. My assessment has gone up twice this year! I went from around $3000 to almost $10,000 just this year. They also raised my home property tax. The paperwork they sent said if you have any questions call. So I called and asked why my property tax has gone up since I have done NO improvements since I moved in the place. He said, "It's due to inflation of the dollar, the dollar is worth more now than it was worth in 2007 when we did your last assessment." This guy was serious!? I laughed and said in a very serious voice, "uhm, sir, perhaps the county has not notice but we have this thing called a recession going on and from my understanding the dollar ain't worth a warm glass of p....." I caught him off guard with that and he stumbled around with the uhhh, well....it ummmmm, you see....and I cut him off and said, "basically your telling me there is nothing I can do about it, it's your decision and that's what you want to do and I just have to bend over and accept it?" He muttered again and ummm'd again and said yeah, there's nothing that can be done.

Anyhow, back to the shortage. Same reasons given for mechanic shortage. Younger kids don't want to lean over a 200 degree car on a 100 degree day in a shop changing a radiator for GM that pays .9 tenths of an hour when it takes longer when you figure paperwork, diag, and everything else that goes with it. Same thing with welding, kids don't want to dress up like nanuk of the north when it's 100 degrees outside so they can sweat and be hot all day long. Maybe the younger generation is just getting soft, would not surprise me though with the way the government holds everybodies hands now. Don't know if there is a real way to change views either. If the cost of living should somehow start to reverse and you can do more with less then it's the trade jobs that will take the brunt of the hit's. All trade wages will drop to a new "norm" while all the other jobs stay with inflated incomes. Just my thoughts on that whole thing. I have enjoyed everything I have done in the last 20 years, mechanic, welding, even building bicycles at the toy store but it all comes down to this. We need people, skilled people to build, fix things that have been built, maintain them and in the end us folks are the most unappreciated, looked down upon for the most part as unskilled, uneducated hillbillies, rednecks, trailer trash, whatever but it's the sad truth I don't feel most of the population understands what a skilled tradesman knows, the knowledge, skills in our heads and hands until their junk breaks and they have to call us!! I have seriously put bicycles together after Christmas or Christmas Eve customer would come in, have the bike in pieces and be saying, can you build this so we can have it under the tree? Sure, no problem, smile. Go back, 10-15 minutes later built bike and the whole time the only thing running through my mind is, how incapable can a person be that they cannot build a bicycle???.

No matter what you cannot "jazz" up the trade jobs like you can a doctor, lawyer, big money guy on Wall St., big airline pilot(that never seem to make enough money according to the Union) with the fancy cars, big houses, hot chicks(does that really happen?) and when you compare it to living in a hotel room using your 45 to shoot the insects that might be big enough to haul ya off while you sleep...if you can sleep worrying about some dirtbag stealing your gear off your rig at night then waking 10 to whatever hour day in the burning heat or raging cold it just don't seem like that cool of a job. Welding on live gas lines, rolling in the mud, climbing to crazy heights compared to a climate controlled building working 8-5, no weekends and definitely no sundays.

Wait a minute......why in the heck am I doing this for a living....Hahahaha!!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2011 15:40 Edited 10-23-2011 20:41
I think most of the TALK of a shortage began BEFORE the current econmic slow down. 

I personally believe that when things stabilize (not that we will ever get back to where it was 5 years ago- that was such a false economy I don't know how it lasted as long as it did) we will again see a shortage of SKILLED labor in all trades.

BUT, I agree with Jon and Shawn.  And quite frankly, we need people with skills even if it pays no more at the present than flipping burgers.  And for myself, I prefer a challenge to my work.  Something that shows my abilities and makes me use my mind for something besides deciding which movie I'm going to watch or which game I'm going to play when I get home after getting fat while absorbing grease/fats into my body while standing over a hot grill all day and sampling all the foods to make sure they taste okay. 

Are there more risks to our work than working at the corner grocery or flipping burgers.  Not really.  Every job has it's risks.  Cancers from a variety of sources.  Health factors as to weight because of lack of exercise (I get a work out every day).  Serious burns rather from grease or welding.  Cuts from knives or steel.  When it is your time, it is your time.  I'd rather die doing something constructive and rewarding than feeding people to lazy to prepare their own meal when they get home and suppling them with food that is contributing to a world wide health problem. 

Shawn, don't know if you remember any FAMILY posts of mine, we raised 5 kids.  For many years, because of some self imposed recoup time from destroying parts of my body on a job, we lived on less than $10,000 per year during the late 80's and early 90's.  But we lived on the family farm and raised chickens, cows, turkeys, 1/2 acre garden, fruit trees, etc.  Didn't need to buy very many groceries.  Gave me time to heal so I could work hard again. 

I won't call it a conspiracy or jump on several of the other bandwagons, but this country is dumbing down.  People don't want to learn when they can get paid to do nothing.  It is also part of socialism: everyone makes the same money no matter what you know and what you do or how fast you can do it.  No free enterprise.  No incentive.  No rewards.  Everything taken care of by the gov't, but not at any level of competence that I want to live under.  These things have failed in other countries but we are headed that direction full steam ahead while those countries are moving into capitalism. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2011 16:27 Edited 10-23-2011 16:45
"I think most of the TALK of a shortage began BEFORE the current econmic slow down. "

With all respect to the posters on this thread,

The shortage is not "talk"

Instances of age discrimination do not make the shortage B.S. or a lie...  It just means there are fools in position of authority who are missing out on talent that could help them...  My experience says the "discriminators" are in the minority... Go apply someplace else for God sake.

Alot of the discussion is tied to department of labor stats... The average age of a welder in the U.S. is over 55 years.    Meditate on that a moment fellas and you can see that old welders are going to drop off the rolls whether they want to or not... Jobs will be open for welders without any growth in industry...    This effect has been blunted somewhat by both older welders hanging on a few years longer because of the stock market disaster and it's effect on retirement; and in addition there is the business practice of trying to save by allowing some attrition and not quickly backfilling positions created by retirements. Neither of these have lasted.. Thousands of positions remain unfilled... FACT.. Not BS or lie

Expecting uniformly high wages for welding jobs in manufacturing (alot of talk about Catapillar) is just stupid....  Management *usually* has no issue with paying good wages for skill... Its the semi-skilled production posts that are going to HAVE TO STAY LOW if we want to keep manufacturing in the U.S.    If you want to be in manufacturing and make great salary you better be very very good or be willing to move to a place that respects your skills.  Has anybody actually operated an Electron Beam unit in manufacturing production?  I can tell you it takes no more skill than operation a multi axis welding robot that has been fully programed.. so don't snivel about $15 an hour to monitor an EB.  The person programming that EB is making coin.. don't you worry.

Is there some age discrimination out there?   of course....   I'm still very optimtic about anybody entering the trades. 

Business and manufacturing have always gone through cycles of appreciating age and skill vs cycles of trying to get in young fresh talent....  If CAT won't hire old welders than quit sniveling and go to where the work is..   Every friggin Shipyard in the U.S. is building.. The entire west shore of Lake Michigan is desperate for skilled welders and there is NO AGE Discrimination happening there.   Dow Chemical in Tenn is importing welders from Michigan because nobody in TENN can pass the pipe tests... They told me they would hire 200 welders tomorrow if they could find anybody to pass the test.

Just looking at the last decade... The welders I've trained and sent out into the workforce (in the rust belt) are surviving something like this...  The hardest workers are making wages high enought to carry a mortguage in our region about 18 months after graduation, being put into decision making roles whether they are 21 years old or 51 years old. The show up every day on time plodders are keeping there jobs and suffering fewer layoffs than the lazy ones...  The lazy ones are suffering the same fate lazy ones always do.   My students who have decided to continue education past what I can give are thriving at Ferris State and have multiple high dollar offers to sort through, beginning about 6 months before they graduate..

1.     If you are willing to expand your talents beyond what you did well when you first started in the trades.

2.    If you are willing to go where the work is

3.    If manufacturing is where you want to go; Be bloody ready to work your way to a high salary.. Even if you are experienced.  You will NOT be hired at the top pay rate.

4.    Remember that people need to learn what is valued and make themselves valuable... Being good at one thing is not going to cut it most of the time.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2011 22:08
Lawrence,

I would like to point out a couple of things to clarify my position which you quoted.

My emphasis on the OP as to the 'TALK' was to stress that it is just that 'Talk'.  And, I believe the facts bare out that it did indeed start before the current economic slow down. 

From there my point was that even if one were to concede that there appears currently to be no shortage but even a surplus of welders, that will change as the economy stabilizes. 

And I really appreciate your inclusion of the stats about the numbers of senior welders, as well as seniors in all trades, who will not be around for long to pass on their experience and skills due to health and/or retirement.  That makes the numbers look even more bleak and if it is not prepared for now while we have a slower economy then we will indeed have a problem that will be very difficult to deal with when we need the labor and it is 3 to 4 years away from even having the ability to supply low skilled welders.

As you also pointed out, electron beam, and many other processes, does not require ALOT of skill and/or experience.  And we have many 'Masters' of welding who have not had good teachers either in the workplace or school but think they are God's gift to the profession. 

I did not want to be super controversial in my previous statements but to be blunt, I think a good number (certainly not all) of those currently in the welding trades who complain about their wages are making exactly what they deserve.  They are not trained, educated, certified, or very skilled.  The applicants that come through my shop certainly support that statement.  Take special note of my previous comment that the statement does not include ALL.  If these young people wanting to get into welding really want to PROVE themselves worthy of higher wages, let them take these lower paying jobs and then show management what they are capable of.  And, this can apply to some of the older welders as well.  If you go in and take these jobs and then show management that you are indeed skilled, experienced, and knowledgeable about welding and can produce more than the young welders because you absolutely work smarter not harder then you may be surprised what it will generate.  And yes, that is the voice of experience.  I have taken jobs that they said only paid a certain wage scale.  But they soon decided that was not neccessarily the case if they wanted quality as well as the volume that I produced.  They actually changed the title of the position they thought they had hired me for to change the wage classes available to me.  And I had 20 years of experience when I went to that job.  And had worked there on two previous occassions. 

I had chosen to focus more on the value of the dollar and that almost no industry is keeping up with the increases we have seen in household operating expenses.  I don't think it is too difficult to see that inflation has run away from our earning ability as it stands right now.  Easy credit, lazy lifestyles, efforts to stem a recession by making it easy to get what you want (instead of what you need), mandatory expenses that put a burden on young families to put both spouses to work at low paying jobs instead of finishing an education to get one good paying job in a few years, taxes, insurances etc have all multiplied this negative effect on worthwhile wages.

Your points about semi-skilled wages needing to remain low to keep manufacturing competitive are well made.  THOSE are the jobs that many will find themselves in if they don't make the effort to improve their value in the workforce.  I'm not sure they need to be as low as they are.  Mainly because even those jobs could benefit from improving the knowledge, skills, and moral of their employees.  And that would increase productivity thus making them even more competitive because they would be producing higher quality products for less money even though they were paying more per hour to get it. 

I realize your post was not directed totally at me.  I just felt the need to make my position a little more clear since you quoted me to start your post.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2011 04:09
I guess I did quote you in bold... I apologize...   The facts do bear that the "shortage" was predicted by the department of labor long before the slow down..  Long before 9/11 too.

And I agree that lots of places need better wages, even in manufacturing..  Not everybody is going to be a golden arm.  Making the welds is honorable from shuttles to ****ters.

I won't concede that the shortage is a lie or a mirage...  It's there,  It's just also blended with some crappy business practices by some major players.

Many senior welders are already gone... And it's being felt.. I know this by the problems comming across my desk every day.... Things that could be solved by anybody with even a little process knowledge are becoming tangles that kill production... Management just hasn't smelled the coffee... They will need more focus groups and consultants to tell them that water is wet and the sun is hot.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2011 09:20
"They will need more focus groups and consultants to tell them that water is wet and the sun is hot."

LMAO!! So true Lawrence, sooooooo true!!!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-25-2011 00:24
I've worked at a couple of place like this and those stupid formans and supervisors never did get it but they will in time or the quality will get worse and they won't get contrcts
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-23-2011 23:03 Edited 10-27-2011 01:44
I agree with a lot that has been said but some of it is just whining at a bad situation...keep in mind I am a "victim" of it as well...or maybe a victim of my own short sightedness.  

LAW I have been waiting for that one   "the semi skilled jobs that will have to stay low".  

Example:  Aerospace crashed along with a lot of other things.  Interesting enough I have a friend who took a position with CAT that I turned down repeatedly.  I just could not work myself up over $14 hour to push big wire all day everyday...call it pride or not being hungry enough..your choice.  Well my friend moved to the front of the pack for good reason.  They paid for his CWI and basically he is a mfic on the production floor, all the hours he can stand with CAT bennies.  He still has not broke $20 an hour.  This is a fella that has literally welded on the Space Shuttle (no kidding), is a top 5% tig welder, highly experienced in electron beam as an operator and setup man, a really talented fabricator (built 5-6 figure custom choppers for 5 years) and just a great personality overall.  Good for him, bad for him is his wealth of talent had no opportunities in this economy for him to apply it.....so he did what he needed to, to keep money rolling in his household. 

I have been blessed with the fact past times have taught me and my family how to live low.  Hard to do with a fat mortgage (where is my freaking bailout!?!?) but by the Grace of God we are managing.   I have turned some decent offers down recently that 5 years ago I would have took in a heartbeat and I am worse off financially today then back then.  WHY?   because potentially I can make more in three months working for myself then I could make in a year with the best job I EVER had.  Working for my self I have the opportunity to apply ALL my skills and experience and give it value that the average company just cannot practically make use of except in a management role.  So here I go doing my own thing and so far so good. 

I am not the greatest welder/fitter/fabricator/machinist in the world or even a tenth of the world....but I know how to get things done in a wide variety of applications.  That is worth something right?  In the last two years I have been in negotiations with more then a few world class companies.....it all comes down to about the same thing....we have to create an all new position to hire you and pay you accordingly.  We want to hire you but, we have to change our system to make it fair to you and to us.   I do not fit into the standard role most production type facilities/companies are set up for...they recognize it and so do I.  I do not have the college background most companies require for a management role where I can apply real world knowledge...so I just do not fit in.  Square block, round hole...hammer not big enough.  I think that is about the same case for a TON of guys out there.  Too old to start over...too good to give it away.   Please understand I am not being conceded here...there are gobs of guys way far and away better then me in the same boat.   The only way you can apply your stuff is to move into a different field of welding and more likely location to get what it is worth. 

From what I have seen working around some local fab shops to help out or what have you, there is a serious shortage on skill that are employed.  Granted if they stick with it these kids will season themselves out just by trial and error.  I just see that most of these folks would rather throw bodies at the problems then get off their wallet and hire someone who could take care of whatever comes along.  Everybody is looking at their bottom line and trying to tighten it dramatically...if you do not or cannot, you simply will not survive the competition.

BTW 90% of the problem revolves around regulation of the businesses, it is so constrictive and drives so much cost that is tying everyone's hands.  I want to hire someone RIGHT NOW, but because of all the regulations I am looking at other ways of getting the job done because it costs way way way too much to hire someone and pay them fairly.  Pretty ridiculous when that employee costs more in checks to govt agencies + insurance then they cost you in wages.  It would actually be cheaper for me to hire them as a contractor and pay their general liability insurance to match mine, then to hire them as an employee.  HOW f***D up is that!?!  I am still learning the pitfalls and crap that goes with working for yourself...my hat is off to you guys running shops and such.

Tough subject, my $.02
Tommy

But you guys are 100% right on.  If it is that terrible where you are, all you have to do is move or travel for a while...there are a lot of good paying jobs available across the country.  I guess it comes down to what you are willing to do....but do something because sitting in your own misery solves nothing but stock you up on more of it.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-25-2011 13:52
Dow Chemical is hiring 200 welders?  I checked the Dow web site and they have ZERO postings for welders.  I guess the local trade school must have placed them all there.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-25-2011 14:03
You really don't like work do you?

It's a Dow plant being constructed.. Several Billion dollar facility.

Dow is not hiring maintenance staff yet..

The jobs are for the various contractors who build the plants...  It has been working that way for the last oh 75 years in the construction industry.

I'm sure the internet can supply an infinate supply of excuses to fire your bitterness.   Other people use it to find work..  Still others knock on doors until people get tired of hearing the rapping and put them to work.
Parent - By junkiron (**) Date 10-23-2011 03:45
co. also say that  so that they can bring in cheap labor from other countries on work visas
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 10-23-2011 03:50
well the company i work for is owned by CAT and if they got the idea they have a shortage of skilled workers from where im at it is true. there are very few people where i work that have the skills to complete the job, to spec.

Levi
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-23-2011 04:03
but they'll hire a 20 year old welding student in a second over a guy with 20 YEARS experience who could walk right in and do the job.

I've been in shops where the 20 something hiring the welders doesn't know 1/10th as much as the 40 something year olds he's turning away at the door becuase they "want too much money" or "won't be happy here" or "are too set in thier ways" or "maybe they'll make me look bad" or the BIG one "they are too old and might put a comp claim in".
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 10-23-2011 04:28
How about economics?

You can hire two 20 year olds at the same pay as one 40 year old …

If the two 20 year olds can maintain a 75% production rate, that’s one and one half times the out-put for the same money.

Or, like a lot of the Fortune 500 companies, I just move off-shore …

Cheers,
jb
Over-aged, over-priced and over-qualified.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-23-2011 06:12
friend works at cat in Pulaski VA says he's making just under 22 an hour says he loves it and keeps begging me to go out there but it ain't worth it to drag up and move out there for that wage from Louisiana. Sure he lives in a very poor town where alot is cheap I'm sure but still not sure. Keep thinking about doing something else but **** I feel like i gotta start all over again as far as money goes so I just keep hoping I can find something decent around here welding but I don't know lately what to do.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-23-2011 23:34
like i previously posted , there is no shortage of welders theres a shortage of companies
willing to pay a decent wage. i've beden the third party insp for almost a year at a steel fab
shop in pa. there tophand with 3o plus yrs exp that can build complex trusses and bridges
qualified in all phases of welding makes 18.00 hr he's worth at least 40.00 . I attended an aws
meeting in Pittsburgh last week and talked with a gentlman who runs the welding program for
the local school district. The in house Qc i work with inquired about hireing a couple students.
when the instructor asked what the pay rate was he laughed and said he has students getting 22.00
to 30.00 hr to start with no job experience so i see where lawrence is comming from.
these companies need to start paying decent wages or they will continue to bring in cheap foreign
labor till our govt stops the work visas
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-24-2011 00:21
Joe I would say that instructor is doing one helluva job for his students to say the least.  I am working with two going thru school right now on tig.....they can stick stuff together but they are a long way from doing any type of code work....both are almost finished on a two year program.  I know the all the instructors personally, the tig guy is probably the sickest tig welder I ever met....I could never out do him especially on aluminum (i think I am pretty damm good on aluminum).  That does not always transition to the students with the time they have + everyone is different and learns different.  They will always get the basics out of a good program but that by NO means says that they are ready to be thrown into the fire. There is a guy I know on here who was drawing 54k a year welding aluminum straight out of school and was pissing and moaning about it.   Hmmmm  If I had started out making close to that even with inflation figured in.....well I would not have many bills right now, put it that way.

Appreciate what you have been given, then strive to make more of it.  That is a good start.
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 10-24-2011 13:36 Edited 10-24-2011 13:43
This goes back to the rate of pay I believe. A 20 year old still wet behind the ears is worth around 10 to 15 dollars an hour. Heck thats were I started. 7.25 in 2000. I dont see what the fuss is all about. You get paid for what your worth and what and where your willing to do it. Those guys where I started at 7.25 an hour used to give me crap and  tell me.... "What are you going to welding school for?  Your gonna be a for lifer here." Well I learned early on if you want to stay at the top you gotta be ahead of the game and thats where I try to keep myself.

I went back there to that shop five years later and shook my old bosses hand and to tell him thankyou for keeping me employed there while I was in school. I left that parking lot in my 75k new rig and all those old arse hard heads who whinned and complained about making 10 dollars and hour where still there staring jaw dropped when I rolled out of there and I flipped them the bird.  I have no sympathy for compainlers. It is what it is and you chose this field and you either make it work for you or you die trying.

You do what you have to do and I understand that. If tomarrow I had to go to work for ten your damn right I would and at the same time looking for a way out to better me and my family. I havent noticed the hardships that some of you and my brother welders have. I took four months off  this year and still bought my wife a porsche. I get calls all the time for work and I pick and choose or negotiate as needed. You dont get to always have your cake and eat it to.  (example 150k a year local job) I may not be always at the house but that is just a part of my job and I go where the moneys  at.  Look im 33 and knocking on 40's door and have rencently retired the hood. This game is what you make of it so dont complain about the rules of the game you have chosen.
Heck there a post in here for welders slash fabricator paying something like 47/15/130. Now if it was so over flooded then why is this post here? It's because he needs a qualified welder. Not an ordinary welder a qualified welder. Now some one go take that job. Hell I made 200k with that same company this year.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2011 04:03
I finished reading this thread and started to read the Wall Street Journal (Online Edition) and came across the very same topic there.  The article is kind of a long read but it boils down to this.  The skilled workers are here and available, it's just that companies don't want to train anyone or pay what the job deserves.  Basically upper management is either too lazy train people or too cheap to fill their ranks with qualified personnel .  here's the link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204422404576596630897409182.html
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2011 04:56
Good article... One that offers solutions
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 10-24-2011 05:27
How much of it has to do with location???? Just curious I am welding in a shop in the Tulsa area that starts out at 47k+ (based on 40hrs a week we have been working 60+ for 6 months) a year and we are testing every warm body that comes threw the door and says they can weld (most fail). They have had job fairs, radio adds, T.V. adds, and have now brought in temp contract hands just to keep from falling any further behind then what we already are due to the lack of welders. Last I heard between the spool and the vessel/tower departments they wanted to hire 26 more welders, a few more QC`s, and a QC manager.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2011 05:28
What company is that?
Parent - By Jaxddad (**) Date 10-24-2011 18:52
Exterran in Broken Arrow
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-24-2011 06:03
Jaxddad;

I think you make a good point.  When I was in my youth, I realised I had to travel to hit the best $$$.
Parent - - By Billyboy (*) Date 10-24-2011 13:15
I know for certain we have a skilled welder shortage in central IL.  My company starts the welders out at near $20.00 per hour with kick azz benefits and we can't get enough in the door.  I have been weld testing every swinging d#$k trying to fill 20 positions.  Either they can't run simple welds, can't pass the piss test, can't read a tape measure, or don't have a high school diploma.  We have to compete with Case IH, Cat, Komatsu, and John Deere for welders and everyone is hiring.  This reminds me of the starving Ethiopians.  IF YOU LIVE IN A DESERT, MOVE!!!!!  With overtime our welders make over 50K their first year and the cost of living isn't bad.  I'm not crying for any welder that is out of work in this area.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-24-2011 14:21
Right on the button, in my opinion Billyboy!:grin:
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2011 15:46
Who is hiring in Illinois?
Parent - - By Billyboy (*) Date 10-24-2011 16:20
Vactor Mfg.   Located in Streator IL.  Go to Federalsignal.com and follow the career link.  If you put the word "Weld" on your resume you will be considered for a weld test.  If you have practical experience as a GMAW welder, you will get a weld test.  If you can weld, read a tape measure, and follow directions, you will get a job!
Parent - - By Billyboy (*) Date 10-24-2011 16:23
I just entered "Weld" into the search engine for Peoriahelpwanted.com and got 56 hits for jobs in the welding field in central IL.
Parent - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-25-2011 00:29 Edited 10-25-2011 00:32
Population of Illinios is 19.9 Million people and you found 56 hits.  I'm guessing 50 to 75 people apply for each job.  Make sure you are very young, fit and know the bare minimum in the welding trade and you stand a chance.  Bring a fake urine test kit also so you can pass the Weed Screen.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2011 16:23 Edited 10-24-2011 16:27
Who isn't hiring in Ill?

Here are 161 listings of a single site for jobs in Ill.....   It's not the greatest website, with some non-welding links tossed into the mix... But it does show that there are plenty of jobs available in many different welding diciplines.

http://www.illinois-job.net/?pid=1253713314832699&q=welder&l=Illinois

Here are some excerpts from just a couple of random links I hit.

MIG Welders ($22 to $27/HR)
Leading Manufacturer - Bloomington,

Peoria Heavy Plate Welders
We currently have immediate openings. Multiple site locations. Permanent Jobs. Several current welders on the staff are making in excess of $100,000 per year.

Tank Welder  Chicago
We are seeking a Tank Welder with a Minimum of 5+ years of experience. Permanent hire - not a contract position. This is a highly paid position with exceptional benefits.
Parent - - By Cwiwelder (*) Date 10-25-2011 00:15 Edited 10-25-2011 00:31
19.9 Million people in IL and you found 161 job listings.  Wow.  I bet the local community colleges in IL are pumping out many times that number every single semester.  GET REAL!  There is NO WELDER SHORTAGE!

Also, the high paying jobs WILL NOT hire anyone over 40 years old!

I looked at the first couple of posts on your link.  Head hunter/TEMP firms for the most part and they LIE with high wage promises to get you to apply.  again,it's  total BS.  Most of the 161 jobs in IL pay UNDER
$15.00 per hour.  FACT!

Aerotek....Multiple lisitngs from Aerotek in IL.  When you see this, don't walk away, RUN!  They are a placement firm for losers.  That's MY OPINION.
Parent - - By 464238 (**) Date 10-25-2011 01:38
we are hiring anybody that has a hood, will travel and can pass our welding tests and are still short Welders.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2011 02:54
HHEEYY!!!

That's MMEE!!  I fit that description.  Especially the last part...I'm "still a SHORT welder".  Been short all my life and at 55 don't plan on getting any taller.  So where do I apply??

And by the way, I have had more job offers, and at pretty good wages, after turning 40 than I did before.  At 55, I still get offers.  Nowdays most of them are for CWI, but I still get calls for welding too.  Most of the time the fact that I'm too busy at my own shop keeps me from accepting.  Last couple of years have been slower and I am trying to get more into the inspections so the shop overhead kinda eats the money up and I may be able to do better working for others.  And the opportunities for GOOD, EXPERIENCED, CERTIFIED, SKILLED, OLD, welders are still there.  One company I worked for in OR hired many guys that were in their 50's.  Attitudes, work habits/ethics, character, stability, as well as welding skills were the main reasons. 

Negative attitudes are easy to spot when you have been on the hiring end for a few years.  I don't need them around.  Bad attitudes will ruin a shop's production and spirit of excellence real fast. 

The current economy has helped many companies to weed out the sour grapes that are only there to collect a pay check.  So many brag about their abilities and years of experience only to be the slowest producers, highest risk for safety procedures, moderate welding skilled, most constant complainers about anything and everything personel in town.  I have hired welders let go by other welding contractors only to find out why they were let go.  They were at the other shop for over 15 years.  Don't know why or how they lasted that long.  I sure didn't keep them that long. 

And from my experience, as an employee and an employer, starting wages are not always a sign of what you will be making down the road.  Yep, I hire welders pretty cheap sometimes.  Even those who claim to be so good and have an impressive resume.  At thirty days one of two things happens: you get a raise or you go down the road.  But I won't pay people sky high wages to find out what a bum deal I got.  Not in my small shop.  Prove you are worth it first. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-25-2011 03:34
Cwiwelder, I'm guessing your just in the wrong profession.  Your attitude is going to keep you down with the bottom feeders forever, especially with statements like "Bring a fake urine test kit also so you can pass the Weed Screen."  Time to move on dude.  Go get one of those "low stress" jobs at McDonalds.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2011 12:44
I think you nailed that one Jon.

Someone has a personal agenda with a sour grapes attitude because they didn't really have what it takes to be a quality hand in this great profession. 

Those are the people that need to be 'weeded' out with all the drug tests, pre-employment knowledge and skills tests, medical evaluations, on going drug and alchol tests, certification tests, etc. 

This is what I referred to above with those who will ruin it for everyone.  If this is such a bad profession for health and wages, JUST GET OUT OF IT AND GO YOUR WAY.  Don't ruin it for everyone else while you go.  Our students need to hear the SUCCESS stories, not the loser stories. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 10-27-2011 00:58
Most of you know my story or stories should I say. And after a year of being flat on my back in 2008. And dr.s telling me (you'll never weld again) I came back and am loving every minute of it. You have to have drive and a hard sell to make it in this trade as well as be able to take the bs and dish it out. Its not hard if you just go with the flow and dr.s are full if bologna. Im living proof. And yes I still make 100k  a year or better if this isn't a success story I don't know what is. Thanks to all of you here during my trying times
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Welder Shortage" news reports are total BS!
1 2 Previous Next