Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Praxair D-2 electrode?
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 10-25-2011 19:43
Praxair D-2?

Does anyone have experience with this electrode? What I know is the Praxair salesman brought in 3 spools for demo and a COC from Sidergas Italy. It looks like it conforms to the 5.28 spec for ER80S-D2 electrode.
I’m all for saving a buck, but I have several thoughts on this.
First I currently use Lincoln LA-90 which conforms to both the ER80S-D2 and ER90S-D2.
I’ve qualified several procedures requiring ER80S-D2 and ER90S-D2 to Military Specs, AWS D1.1, and AWS B2.1 all using the LA-90.

I’m seeking any thoughts, suggestions, Ideas or advice
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-26-2011 10:48
Hey Martin,
It's worth it to burn some wire to compare it to LA-90.
If it is obviously better in terms of weldability, then you can test it's mechanical properties.

At least you will have a better understanding of the wire.

Tyrone
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-26-2011 12:05
With solid wires there is seldom any visible difference under the hood. Sometimes the appearance may look different in inspection. And seldom is there any difference in base mechanicals like tensiles and bends. The difference is manifest more in residual elements. These can effect appearance and impacts more than anything. 
If the name was unknown I might have a concern about manufacturing controls or traceability, but not with this name.
The other thing to keep in mind is that there are only a relatively few actual manufacturers out there. Many of the names you see in boxes are the EXACT same as many of the others. Everybody is buying something from other manufacturers. Even the big boys. Often they buy the same heats as many others of one size and then draw it down or cut it in their own plant.
I would not be surprised to hear, though I doubt it in this case, that the Praxair D-2 is the exact same stuff as the Lincoln. This sort of thing is not unusual. When we only know the box labelling we essentially know nothing.
Weld it and see.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2011 12:54
While I agree with you on the basics of the quality of the wires I would add a couple of points from personal experience.

At my shop we have used many wires from my local welding supply.  One time we got a particular brand in (talking 70 series for GMAW using 75/25) and I stopped and called my supplier.  They came over and we did a demonstration and comparison.  I told them to NEVER send that brand again no matter how cheap they got it in.  It's profile looked so much worse that it increased my clean up time.  It spattered worse adding to clean up time.  It actually took slightly longer to run the same distance of weld over several samples than the cleaner, smoother running brand.

Now, I don't remember which manufacturer that was anymore as we have changed to Praxair since then and have no problems with anything they send us.  But in our test we used the same machine, same bottle of shielding gas, material off the same 20 ft bar, same settings on the machine (did try to tweek them after running exactly the same for fairness knowing that all run slightly different), and did everything we could to make the comparison fair.

There are clear differences for those who really watch, feel and understand the flow of molten steel into a project.  But you are correct that most wires and most final welds are of equal results.  But to me, it is not only the testing results, it is also the speed and cosmetics of the final product.  THEN you start calculating any price variables.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-26-2011 14:55
I apologize for the thread hijack,

Js55

Here is a link to a thread that I was involved in that you might find interesting. Regarding solid wire performance with GMAW-S

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=96152;hl=HYUNDAI

I agree that there is "seldom" a difference under the hood... But there can be!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-26-2011 18:03
Lawrence/Brent,
Yeah. I qualified the statement with "seldom". I've run into difficulties myself. But it is rare., and usually related to tramp elements if you have the time and money to investigate. And not removing tramps and residuals is for the most part where the cheapo's come in.
I find differences much more often with fluxed products.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2011 21:01
Your right, you did say 'seldom'.  Interesting how easily we miss clarifier word phrases sometimes.  It was possibly worth taking the time to explain to others anyway.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Praxair D-2 electrode?