Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / nickel overlay
- - By Steve.E (**) Date 10-29-2011 02:38
Some recent nickel overlay, can you guess the process?
Attachment: nickeloverlay001.jpg (70k)
Attachment: nickeloverlay002.jpg (53k)
Attachment: nickeloverlay003.jpg (76k)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-29-2011 04:44
Fronius  CMT/Pulse
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 11-01-2011 07:40
How did I know you would guess that Lawrence :)  sorry mate not cmt .
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-02-2011 00:11 Edited 11-02-2011 00:16
Well then if it's not CMT is, the process still a form of GMAW-P?

Or is it a hot wire GTAW process with the use of what is named & sold by Ed Craig - the TIP TIG, dabber like GTAW process whereby the wire is also pulsed fed to whatever parameters it's set to, and separate from the pulse parameters set on the power source???

Or this is something you came up with because you wanted to get back at me or Lawrence or even both, for the comments we had on your opinions regarding the Uhlig weld overlay thread??? Well if I hurt your feelings then, please fill out this report and it will processed ASAP.:eek::twisted::lol::yell::roll::eek::wink::cool:

Henry
Parent - By BERNIESWELDING Date 10-30-2011 01:59
from the look of what i am seeing there is way too much perfection. that was not done by a human, that all has to be mechanically and it looks like an automated tig with a feeder that is set to pulse and feed the wire and it is on a jog set up.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-30-2011 13:22
It does not appear to be FCAW or SAW. Also not GMAW with GTAW wash. A GTAW, PAW or hybrid GMAW-Laser should be smoother between the beads.  I'm thinking pulsed GMAW.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-31-2011 14:15
I'm with Lawrence and Marty. It appears to be a pulse GMAW with a thermal pulse over the top.
With automatic travel and indexing.
Parent - - By jpill (**) Date 10-31-2011 14:17
pulsed GMAW bore welding setup.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 11-01-2011 23:33
I dont know fellas ive seen guys that can do that (manualy?) (cant spell) anyways ..... they did it on a turntable
Parent - By defaced (**) Date 11-02-2011 16:04
A properly setup hot wire puddle would look more fluid and be larger.  Even the small hot wire overlays I've done the puddle is 5/8" wide.  At best I'd say that puddle is 10mm (3/8") wide.  Pulsed current "warm wire" welds could get that small, but the ridges don't look as cold.  Not to say that either of these processes can't make a deposit this nice, because I'd personally done it, but I tend to agree that this was made with a GMAW type process.  The welds look too cold to be TIG.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-02-2011 20:00
Twin wire spray, 90/10 gas, automatic bore setup, using a C stroke weave?

Tim
- By Steve.E (**) Date 11-07-2011 07:48
Sorry for late response guys I've been on holiday, no computer and no welding bliss :) 
Pretty close Burnie nozzles were rotated on mini positioner, torch indexed on a bugo carriage , power supplied by an OTC conventional pulse tig unit , wire was fed by one of our Hot Wire Tip Tig units . I'm really liking these things easy to set up and relatively forgiving and the weld quality is obvious .
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / nickel overlay