Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FCAW permission for pressure retaining above 600 lbs
- - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-09-2011 17:52
According to welding pressure containing piping and equipment specification in our project,  Flux cored arc welding (FCAW) maybe permitted subject to COMPANY prior approval and provided that:
-The fabricator can provide evidence of successful experience
-Flux cored arc welding protected with an external shielding gas
-Nickel content doesnot exceed 1%
-Pressure retaining weld do not exceed 600lbs
-At least 20% of ultrasonic examination is performed on peressure retaining joints welded in the globular transfer range.
so we have submitted TQ regarding using FCAW for pressure retaining above 600lbs over the carbon steel,alloy steel and LTCS materials ,also we mentioned there we will perform PQRs according to the approved project WPSs, thus if all mechanical and metallurgical requirment tests to be accepted therfore we request to COMPANY to permit us using FCAW for pressure retaining above 600lbs after final PQRs test result submission.COMPANY instruct us  we ask at AWS Forum to realize what is the prefetional engineers's technical concept concerning our TQ.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-09-2011 19:05
1st off, I think your English is excellent, but I'm still unsure about one of your meanings.

Are you saying that the "company" you are working for has instructed you to present your proposal to weld the higher pressure joints to "this AWS internet forum?"

Maybe I  am misunderstanding... But it would be a very unusual request ineed.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-09-2011 20:54
Come on Lawrence, Lots of company's use the FC2002.
we just need to add an addendum about presenting your engineering questions to The IEOAWSF(internet engineers of AWS Forum) before proceding with work!
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-10-2011 02:17
Please list your Company name and address so we forward the information you are asking for.
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-10-2011 03:27
I agree with you and I told to COMPANY(In our project COMPANY meaning  is our  Owner) that if mechanical & metallurgical results of PQRs to be satisfied, therfore we can use FCAW for pressure retaining above 600 lbs.Is it correct technical concept?
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-10-2011 05:50
The Company name is?
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 11-10-2011 07:36
Where is your TQ?

Globular transfer on GSFCAW?

What wire are you proposing?

Any PWHT involved?

Lack of information.
Parent - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-10-2011 13:20 Edited 11-11-2011 03:32
Please follow minute of TQ as per below:
Title:   Using of Flux Cored Arc Welding process (FCAW ) for any pressure retaining above 600 lbs
Details of Technical Query:
According to the clause. 6.2.1 of project specification,FCAW may be permitted subject to COMPANY prior approval and provided that:
1.  The fabricator can provide evidence of successful experience
2.  FCAW protected with an external shielding gas
3.  Nickel content does not exceed 1%
4.  Pressure retaining weld do not exceed 600lbs
5.  At least 20% of ultrasonic examination is performed on pressure retaining joints welded in the globular transfer range.
So, by the providing the proper evidence and PQRs which we have submitted for approval also let us to use flux cored arc welding process (FCAW) for any pressure rating above 600 lbs and it will be followed any type of NDT which are mentioned at PMS it means if it is referred radiography then let us to substitute RT with UT. 
Contractor’s Proposal:
For using of FCAW below items would be considered:
1)  Regarding the heat Input  will be followed as per WPSs & PQRs
1)  Regarding item Nos. 1, 2, 3 were prepared and provided at the site. – “Refer to the attached”
2)  Regarding item no. 4 we have been chosen a suitable welding rod with PQRs, you could sure it is right.
3)  Regarding to item no.5 it will be followed PMS notices & piping line list NDT required type.
Attachments:  
1.  Evidence of the successful experience
2.  Performance of WPS/PQR (for FCAW of Auto-weld) result
3.  Certificate of the Welding Rod

Also some of the process piping materials including PWHT and some of the others not required,filler wires which will be used are E71T-9M-J/12M-J for LTCS & E71T-9M for CS & E81T1-Ni1MJ for AS.Finally please forgot my COMPANY opinion and calarify for me PQRs test is sufficient to utilize FCAW for any pressure retaining above 600 lbs or not?That is it.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-10-2011 12:36
Hi khodabandeh

Any information you get from this forum could not possibly be construed to be that of a "professional engineer". I do not know from which country you are posting, but some jurisdictions will have a specific definition of what a professional engineer is, and usually includes registration with some body. This means that if your client asked that you run your TQ past "professional engineers", then you need to make sure what that means. I suspect that AWS does run a registration scheme for professional engineers, so the intention of your client may have been that you need to pay a professional welding engineer registered with AWS to assess your proposal.

Please keep in mind that the process you have described (qualify the WPS and draw up a supporting PQR) is the normal way to perform any welding to a range of piping codes. (e.g. ASME B31.3 will require this process is followed by using ASME IX) The client's specification gives additional requirements, and in this case you want to go outside that allowed by the client's specification. You therefore need a concession from the client to contravene the specification. No opinion we give here in an open forum could possibly have any bearing on your application. All we can do is to give you some technical advice, but then we need to know a lot more about your application. Even then, it will only serve as guidance to you.

I know this is probably not very helpfull, but I think you need to go back to your client and make sure what they really want from you.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-10-2011 13:30
Hi Niekie,
Forgot COMOANY opinion, I am not agree with this way but I want to know my TQ is correct or not?I mean after PQRs test sataisfaction is it posssible to use FCAW for any pressure retaining above 600lbs or not  ?
Regards,
Omid
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-10-2011 15:47
The codes do not specify which type of welding process are to be used. That is left up to the manufacturer, who can choose any process they want.
The codes do offer some pre-qualified procedures that specify process, but, the manufacturer is not limited to these.
What the code does specify is that the process and all applicable parameters that are chosen by the manufacturer are to first be qualified or tested to prove that the weldment will hold the loads it's designed for.
Contract documents often are more specific toward acceptable processes, but that is a whole different issue that can only be resolved by reading and understanding the contract before signing.
While there are professional engineers who participate in this forum, the American Welding Society has no official support or responsibility toward anything stated here. This is simply a chat room for anyone who wishes to participate.

That being said, my personal opinion, based on previous experience, is that yes FCAW weldments are perfectly able to hold pressures of 600 psi and above, if the welds are done in accordance with a qualified procedure. However, Globular Transfer needs to be strictly forbidden as it cannot be sucessful in this application.

Tim
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-10-2011 23:38
Hi Omid

A good FCAW weld can do exactly what a good SMAW or GTAW weld can do. The issue is that some companies (due to past experience) do not like FCAW. Historically there have been some bad welds made with FCAW, but since then a lot has improved with the wires, and especially the gas assisted wires give deposits that are comperable with SMAW. The bad image is however still out there, and that is why some companies restrict the use of FCAW. The issue for the client company is not whether it is possible to perform a certain type of weld, but whether it will consistently deliver good results in the field. As an example, it is possible to perform a good weld with dip transfer GMAW, but a high percentage of such welds will have lack of fusion defects, so almost all end-user companies do not allow the use of dip transfer GMAW. The issue is not "what is possible", the issue is "what is probable".

Your approach to the client company (in your TQ) would have to be to address their concerns. For instance, you may offer additional NDT to be able to detect LOF defects if they are present. (Can't remember your exact application, so am not sure if UT is possible.)

I hope this makes sense.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-11-2011 03:28
Hi Niekie,
I have provided some of the WPSs including Automatic FCAW and most of the process piping lines which are defined to welding with this procedure will be performed radiography examination (5%~100%),after viusal inspection over the profile of weldment it was accepted and it was not found any welding defects, finally we instruct to our subcontractors to execute RT over the some welded jonits and the result was accepted.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 11-11-2011 10:02
Hi

Generally client specifications will try to exclude processes or practices that will either result in a defective weld where the defects are difficult to detect (e.g. Radiography will not detect most lack of fusion defects. - I am involved with validation of phased array testing procedures, and from this it is clear that 80% of LOF defects are missed by radiography.) or the defect rate is unacceptably high, increasing the project risks in terms of quality and schedule. If the company has excluded FCAW from being used in higher risk applications, then if you want to convince them otherwise, then you need to address their concern. If their concern is LOF, then you need to offer something like UT to show that it is not present. If their concern is slag inclusions, then going for 100% RT should convince them. It all depends what is driving their reluctance to use the FCAW. Seeing as they were happy to accept RT, I assume that they were concerned about volumetric defects such as slag inclusions. (Or they do not understand the limitations of RT)

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 11-11-2011 03:00 Edited 11-11-2011 03:07
Omid, the the thing that really jumps out to me is the fact that your Client has specifically required information on previous experience using FCAW, your TQ makes no mention of you using this process before on previous jobs and your statement indicates that qualifying a PQR, in your company's opinion, will satisfy this requirement which I do not think will be adequate. As posted from another member of the forum globular transfer is not really suitable. Most company's using this process will use a rutile wire and operate in spray transfer mode in all positions which will give you higher deposition rates and sounder welds. As to using three different wires this a nightmare to control. Not all of these wires can be PWHT'd and you should check that what you intend to use is, best double check with manufacturer. Do you have a sufficient number of suitably qualified and experienced welders to do this work? You have not addressed this.
Of course FCAW can be used for these higher ratings but I see the problem being that your TQ will not address your Clients concerns and that he will reject your proposal (I would to be honest).
Parent - - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-11-2011 03:43 Edited 11-11-2011 03:50
Dear nantong,
I attached of the TQ some accepeted results of Automatic FCAW related previous projects,also we were qualified Automatic FCAW operators under COMPANY supervisoin,for your more information most of the PQRs result at mechanical & metallurgical test are accepted thus COMOANY permitted to using Automatic FCAW for most of the welding actvities only according to the mentined clause of our specification, COMPANY prevents to utilize Automatic FCAW for above 600lbs.I think with accepted result of PQRs it is possible to utilize Automatic FCAW for above 600lbs.What is your concept?
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 11-11-2011 09:07
Omid, your TQ is unclear to say the least. Certainly from your first submission on this subject I read it that you were trying to justify the use of this process based upon qualifying FCAW procedures and that you had not used it before. You now say that you have previous experience but you fail to detail what it is and merely make reference to attachments. You now say "[url=]most[/url] of the PQRs result at mechanical & metallurgical test are accepted..." Most are accepted? What wasn't accepted and what mettalurgical tests did you do? Information is now coming out in dribs and drabs, perhaps it is better to ask your Client for his technical justification in his specification (you should have questioned this at the bid stage if you did not understand.
People here cannot help if you do not give them the full story in a clear concise and full manner.
Parent - By khodabandeh (**) Date 11-12-2011 03:57
Dear Nontong,
As per topic I have cleared that we need permission to work over 600lbs it means we have provided FCAW WPSs  ,some of the  WPSs including combination process (GTAW &FCAW)  passsed the PQR test,according to our project piping material specification minimum design temperature is -29˚C therfore some of the PQRs have been failed at ipmact test.Also it was performed metallography test over all PQRs test coupon.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FCAW permission for pressure retaining above 600 lbs