Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Keystone Pipeline stopped by 0bama
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By commonarc (**) Date 11-11-2011 15:45
The champion of the working man has terminated the Keystone pipeline that would have put thousands of welders to work for several years.  No chance of any pipe going in the gorund until well past 2013, if ever.
Remember this when you VOTE. 

November 10, 2011
The 0bama administration announced on Thursday that it will explore a new route for the TransCanada Keystone XL pipeline, pushing a final decision on the controversial project past the 2012 election.

President Barack Obama said the pipeline could affect the health and safety of the American people as well as the environment.  Obama is facing an election year in 2012 and could not afford to face off against all the left-leaning groups opposed to the project.

The $7 billion pipeline would carry oil from the tar sands in Alberta, Canada, to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast. TransCanada is seeking to build the 36-inch pipeline through Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-11-2011 17:09
Not very happy making news.

Maybe some of the oil folk can answer a related question.

Since it has been stated many times that the U.S. needs to increase its oil refining capacity, why not instead of piping the entire longitude of the country, build some new refineries closer to the oil?

I'm not trying to be critical... I am just wondering..  Seems like it would be less expensive to build a couple of refineries up north than to cut land, appease local jurisdictions and then fabricate a cross country pipe line with all the support equipment to pump the stuff for thousands of miles.. 

Maybe it's not cheaper... Thoughts?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-11-2011 17:49 Edited 11-11-2011 17:51
Lawrence,
   The same "greenies" that are crying about the pipeline would scream "Not in my back yard!" over a refinery as well. Plus, there's the issue of how to distribute and deal with the finished product. There's storage, shipping facilities, distribution pipelines and so on already in place.

A pipeline only has to deal with the potential for leaks and the rare possiblilty of an explosion. The refinery has to deal with leaks, fumes, explosions, watersheds, ect. ect.

Cost is a consideration as well. A pipeline would not be as costly.

In short, if the "Green Police" are having fit's over a pipeline, just think of the storm a refinery or two would cause.

jrw159
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-11-2011 19:48
They have not built a refinery in the USA since 1979.  Environmentalist would rather have the old, worn out refineries than allow for a new state-of-the-art facility to be built.

Never heard of a pipeline being so controversial.  Only in 0ba's AmeriKa I guess.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-12-2011 02:44
We are not going to NEED oil anymore. Mrs. Clinton said so in 2008.:confused::confused::confused:
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 11-28-2011 22:21
EPA and about triple the cost is the reason Lawrence. There has not been a new refinery in the US since the 70's if my memory serves me right.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-11-2011 17:52
Did Obama or someone in government say why would the oil pipeline affect adversely the environment? There are hundreds of oil pipelines around the world (some of them in Brazil) that don't affect adversely the environment, or, if they do, the consequences are easily overcome. Why should this one be the "black sheep"?. 
Back in my days of erector engineer I worked in two oil pipelines: a little, 4 inches diameter one, and a big, 24 inches, another one. Never heard any complain about them. Of course, the construction company must take all measures to minimize the environmental impact during construction.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-11-2011 22:51
Giovanni,

I saw it on the news this morning. Somewhere around Oklahoma I believe, maybe northern Oklahoma and across the state there is a very large watershed, perhaps underground(?) that the pipeline would run thru. This is what the green weenies are crying about. For me it seemed simple, change the angle a bit out of Canada missing this watershed then head south to Texas. Bit more money involved I'd say plus they'd probably have to run across the pond in a farmers field that would be home to some rare bug that the greenies would then cry about "destroying their habitat" again. I'm surprised we can still take a dump in our own homes without the green pains in the arse raising heck about the methane generated!!!

So far that is two very large pipelines killed this year by the green wankers and President Obama....who the heck are they supposed to be putting to work anyhow? I keep hearing about "job plans" and b.s. but all I keep seeing is more folks out of work. Wish I could help and hire folks but not doing that good yet.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-11-2011 23:29
and not one cent of Government money or tax breaks would be required to build this pipeline.  All that's required is for government to GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 11-12-2011 01:24
And if they really had the ability to do that, we would all be better off.
Parent - - By Jaxddad (**) Date 11-12-2011 10:33
The Ogallala Aquifer in Nebraska
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 11-12-2011 15:25
Actually, the Ogallala Aquifer stretches from West Texas to South Dakota.

Griff
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-17-2011 08:45 Edited 11-17-2011 08:48
Giovanni,
I know all about this.
As a matter of fact my Mother went to Ogallala HS,and my Father went to Banner HS.
And both my Mother's parent's are buried in Brule, Ne.
All on the Aquifer.
I will leave my ego aside.
I could have the best people on here build this pipeline.
I am all for it.
But sabotage could destroy so much.
And I mean after it is finished.
Put a hole in a pipeline is not that tough.
In these days you never know
BTW the aquifer is under wy, co, ne, ks.
not in Ok, sd or tx.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 11-17-2011 13:29 Edited 11-17-2011 13:32
Get your facts straight on the aquifer you know so much about.  It stretches from West Texas to South Dakota.  FACT.
The first time I made that statement it was in words. This post I will furnish a picture for you.

Griff

P.S.

Also included is part of New Mexico.

Griff
Attachment: wsci_03_img0397.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-18-2011 02:23 Edited 11-18-2011 02:31
What your referring to is the GREAT PLAINS aquifer.
The Ogallala aquifer is a part of it.
But like the great lakes there are many parts.
Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are part of the great lakes and connected, but not the same lake.
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 11-18-2011 14:05 Edited 11-18-2011 14:16
This is like arguing with a woman.
Here follows more facts, another picture, and a link.

Griff

The Ogallala Aquifer occupies the High Plains of the United States, extending northward from western Texas to South Dakota. The Ogallala is the leading geologic formation in what is known as the High Plains Aquifer System. The entire system underlies about 450,000 square kilometers (174,000 square miles) of eight states. Although there are several other minor geologic formations in the High Plains Aquifer System, such as the Tertiary Brule and Arikaree and the Dakota formations of the Cretaceous, these several units are often referred to as the Ogallala Aquifer.

Read more: Ogallala Aquifer - depth, important, system, source http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html#ixzz1e4AnkzdB
Attachment: hp_nawqa1.gif (0B)
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-19-2011 19:06
When you make offensive comments.
You have lost the discussion.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 11-20-2011 13:51
What was the offensive comment?
As far as losing the discussion, I have not as I have the facts to back up my points.

Griff
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-23-2011 05:09
This is like arguing with a woman.
Could be offensive to many.
Now as I wait for you to play out Godwin's law.
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-23-2011 05:14
Godwin's law, LOL.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 11-24-2011 01:03
You must be sick.  You are definitely wrong and just cannot accept that fact.

Ignorance is correctable. Refusing to learn is an illness.

Griff
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-24-2011 02:29
You can't say, "This is like arguing with a woman."

Not cool.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 11-24-2011 02:31
How about "arguing with one's wife"?

Griff
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 11-27-2011 03:47
Ross,
Agreed
Thank you for your time and consideration
Sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-17-2011 13:37
Giovanni,
What you hit upon here is the politics of the whole thing. There will be no definitive explanations of why (though there will be some very pretty words that make it sound definitive) because that is not the point. It is irrelevent why. The point is to rally the extreme environmental left into believing they have some sort of victory that they can take to the polls, while organized labor is lead to believe there is still a chance for the jobs involved so that they can take that to the polls. Do not be surprised when the discussion of the whole issue in the media is burdened with lies, distraction, and ambiguity. Its called voting present. And the man we currently have in the White House is the best I've ever seen at it.
And never, NEVER underestimate the ability of American democrats to dance in subterfuge the conflicting interests of such staunch political supporters as environmentalism and organized labor. It is absolutely astonishing how polished and accomplished they are in convincing these diametrically opposed constituencies (essentially opposed on virtually ever single issue of interest to them whether it is pipelines, highways, dams, housing projects, or any development) that they look out for their interests. It is one of the most disturbing marvels of American politics.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2011 04:05
Just like when they were building the Alaskan Pipeline... The Government actually fed the environmentalists information about what types of paperwork to file and lawsuits to start to slow down, hinder, and cause all the financial damage they could to the project.  They told them where to go to use regulations and laws against the oil companies to force them to spend lots of time and money to be able to get the oil out.  That's how they forced the prices so high it didn't matter rather we were using our own oil or someone else's. 

Notice how every time we find more oil to make us independent and get us cheaper fuel everything chages before it ever gets in production.  They claim there's not as much oil as they thought.  They claim it is the wrong grade and will take more refining.  They force delays and extra costs through lawsuits, environmental considerations, and other factors to force up the cost of production.  You can find all kinds of interference that 'The Government' employs in order to 'CONTROL' our markets and us.

Good thread commonarc.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-12-2011 13:45 Edited 11-12-2011 17:23
So far, political concerns of individual posters have outweighed most of the facts in this thread. Here are a few points to clarify.

First, Canadians would like to have refineries built in Canada, rather than ship jobs south with the oil, but Big Oil (Exxon, Shell, BP, etc) control the oil industry here (as they do in the US), as well  as much of the government policy, and they don't want a surplus of refining capacity driving down the price of gas.

Second, TransCanada already has a longer pipeline right-of-way skirting the Ogalala aquifer, and the pipeline would have been building long ago if they had chosen to follow that route. The short-cut they proposed across sensitive environmental areas, for economic reasons, is what has caused most of this dispute, along with some very poor pipeline maintenance which has resulted in some disastrous recent spills.

Third, everybody should read this or something similar.
http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-13-2011 00:00 Edited 11-13-2011 00:04
I'm willing to bet a pipeline will be built to Vancouver BC and the oil will be pumped into super tankers and sent to China.  Depend on it.
China has no environmental issues when it comes to building refineries or burning coal with ZERO pollution controls.  I'm positive the Canadians won't have a problem selling this oil to the Chinese depsite the horrible environmental issues over there.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-13-2011 00:05 Edited 11-13-2011 00:08
I'm afraid you are probably right, commonarc. Why should they wait another 2-3 years for another "study" plus the construction time before they can get that revenue flowing? I'm embarrassed to say I live in Nebraska.:red:
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-13-2011 00:30
Why are you ashamed of defending your only water supply?
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 11-13-2011 00:37
I assume the "water supply" in the Alberta oil sands region must be horrible and undrinkable?  I mean the ground itself is saturated with OIL and they don't drill for it, they strip mine it.  Maybe you can protest your own environmental destruction up there in Canada rather than worry about a single 36" pipe line in Nebraska?  just a thought.
Parent - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-13-2011 14:02
I'm not ashamed of that. I'm ashamed that people welcomed the first pipeline with open arms and instead of urging them at the outset to follow the same ROW again, they waited until the new ROW was surveyed and approved before voicing any concerns. I would love to have it come through my county again. It really helps with the property taxes.Bring it over here!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 11-13-2011 03:07
There are some real engineering issues with taking the tar sands oil to Vancouver. It is hard enough to push it downhill let alone over the Canadian Rockies.
Not to say that China will not figure this out, but so far no one wants or has proposed a west route to the Pacific for the oil. And once you get it to BC there is no infrastructure to handle the volumes that will be coming. They will have to build a Valdez X 3. And the port of Vancouver is not set up to handle the supertankers that will be necessary. None of this cannot be overcome, just not within the next 7-10 years.
As for building the refinery's in Canada, OK then what are you going to do.
Eat it?
You have to pipeline it out to which markets.
What are you going to do with the by products?
Pave the great white north?
The oil companies have already invested in the capital equipment and there is no way they are going to build a new refinery in Canada. And if they did that is 15-20 years out. 
The problem with the oil sands is they are where the market aint. And you can't change that.
I have my doubts this pipeline will be built within the next 10 years. 
Yea, Change you can believe in.
Parent - - By atc250r (**) Date 11-13-2011 03:40
Never heard of the "Northern Gateway" pipeline project proposed by Enbridge?  It would take heavy crude to Prince Rupert, where it would be loaded on supertankers bound for the Far East.
Parent - - By 100inches (*) Date 11-13-2011 04:43
Enbridge would take it to kitimat where they would build a storage facilty there as well. They are in the process of getting it approved they are proposing to pipelines one for oil the other some thinner to help the oil thru the line. But here as well the greenies and natives are crying about there land and spills.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-13-2011 13:40 Edited 11-13-2011 13:56
Proposed Northern Gateway pipeline project will run from Alberta to British Columbia. It has the support of Greenpeace co-founder and the Unions.
It makes a person wonder what the real reason is for 0baMao's opostion to the Keystone project??

Here's the link for the Northern Gateway Pipeline.  I bet this gets built long before the Keystone project ever does.

http://www.northerngateway.ca/

Supertankers can be built in less time than it takes to construct this pipeline.  I've seen the shipyards in South Korea.  Trust me, they can build them very fast.  They just built a tanker that weighed 320,000 DWT named the Dar Salwa that is over 1000 feet long and 190 feet wide.  Total time from conception to launch was less than two years.  Actual construction time was only eight months.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2011 18:15
I think it's as simple as this:  President Obama will step on the interest of the unions and bow to the Green lobby every time.  He will do this because no matter how many times he steps on the unions they will continue to support him.  Not the union membership mind you.. But the people who collect 80% of dues dollars.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 16:49
I think you said it, China has no environmental concerns!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-13-2011 01:18
I read the article You posted. Seems agriculture is the greatest draw on this aquifer. A logical mind might conclude that it is better to ship and refine more crude oil, and farm less corn to make ethanol to preserve this resource.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-13-2011 14:03
Yeah...ethanol.  The biggest scam ever perpetrated upon the American people.
Parent - By ESC300 (**) Date 11-13-2011 14:26
Ethanol-not good for anything but problems
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2011 18:18
I'm still undecided on ethanol as an alternative in the larger narrative.  Brazil does great with it.

But corn gas is a really poor source for ethanol.  Turning uneaten food into fuel is a travisty in my opinion.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 16:44
Units of energy per gallon in E85 don't measure up to 100% gasoline. This means that you have to burn/consume more of it to get the same work done.

I contribute the lesser exciting nascar racing this year to their switch to E85. Somehow I have a hard time getting excited about watching racecar drivers not race all out for the win. I'm sure it is less exciting for the drivers as well to watch their competitors drive right on by while they have to slow down and conserve to try and make it to the end of the race without having to stop again for a splash of fuel.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 11-14-2011 20:31
Switch to NHRA Drag racing like I did over 16,000 NITRO HP at the green light and hold on the the fence you will never go back to NASCAR.
NHRA does in 4 seconds what takes NASCAR all day.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 16:35
When they started talking about ethanol a few years ago I was talking to a farmer friend of mine. He grows soy bean and corn among other things. Told him I guess you'll be rolling in dough now as corn and soy bean will probably go up. He just laughed and said he'd believe it when he saw it. Last I knew it still was nothing special for him when it came to selling his corn or soy bean.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-13-2011 14:14
I agree Dave. Ethanol production is a huge waist of resources. It is good for farmers but not energy efficient. It takes the equivalent of 3 quarts of Ethanol in energy ( gas, electricity ) to make 4 quarts of Ethanol. That doesn't take into account the amount of water needed, or the distruction of wildlife habitat to grow more corn. It is not a wise energy source.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-17-2011 17:15
If I may jump in with some interesting alternatives being developed for the production of transportation fuels made from biomass (wood products).  A company called KiOR (Google it for more info) has a demonstration plant in Houston with a capacity to process 10 dry tons of wood and produce up to 15 barrels of crude oil product per day.

There is a larger plant being built in Columbus, MS.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-13-2011 17:05
"I read the article You posted. Seems agriculture is the greatest draw on this aquifer. A logical mind might conclude that it is better to ship and refine more crude oil, and farm less corn to make ethanol to preserve this resource."

Dave:
I agree, but  Big Agriculture or Big Oil never let logic interfere with their plans!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2011 16:43
Good article Northweldor! Thanks for that
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-27-2011 15:55
What amazes me more is.............Everyone acts so suprised at what Obama bin Laden does next ! Why is anyone suprised that he keeps screwing things up ?
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Keystone Pipeline stopped by 0bama
1 2 Previous Next