Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GH College welding instructor gains Image award
- - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-12-2011 01:42
Grays Harbor College welding instructor Rod McDonald has been named Image of Welding Educator for 2011 by the American Welding Society. The national award will be presented this month during the origination’s annual welding conference in Chicago.

In nominating McDonald for the award, Mike Kelly, Dean for workforce education, said: “Rod is one of the best welders I have ever seen and he is also one of the best teachers I have ever met. This is an extremely rare combination and he certainly is an excellent role model to promote the image of welding.”

The college’s sole full time welding instructor, McDonald, 45, an Elma resident, joined the college staff in 2000. Since that time, he has redesigned the curriculum to better meet industry standards, assisted in the design and construction of the colleges welding instructional facility which opened in 2008, and became a tenured facility member, said Jane Goldberg, college spokesperson.

Also during his 11 years at the college, he received a Faculty Excellence Award as selected by his colleagues and earned an Excellence in Teaching Award from the Washington Association of Occupational Educators. He has served as the chair of the colleges Industrial Technology Division since 2003, in addition to his regular teaching assignment.

The American Welding Society awards Image of Welding recognition in seven categories to individuals and organizations showing exemplary dedication to the promotion of welding within their communities.

˜The Daily World˜
Parent - - By weldstudent (**) Date 11-12-2011 01:52
I am proud to have been taught by such a knowledgeable, versatile, and respectable man. Thanks to the instruction I have received during my time in his class I learned how to not only become a competent welder, but also a better man.

Thank you for your dedication to your work and your students. You deserve all that you have been granted.
Hope you enjoy your trip to Chicago.

-Levi
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-12-2011 03:08
Yes Levi, you are indeed fortunate to have had Rod for an instructor. I have had the pleasure of knowing him for a number of years and interacting with him on numerous occasions. He may just add to his impressive resume while he's in Chicago, I'll let you figure out what that means. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2011 03:44
It speaks a lot of the character of both the teacher and his students when the students share in the joy the teacher experiences with the awarding of praise for successful accomplishments and their chosen carrer path. 

You have done well in sharing your admiration for your instructor.  I'm sure there are many other good instructors out there, but I also wish there were a lot more.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-13-2011 03:06
Thank you Levi, Allan, and Brent for the nice comments.

Levi - You are welcome!  Being entrusted with someone's education is a weighty responsibility.  Fear of coming up short is a heck of a good motivator.  I am very glad to know you were satisfied!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2011 03:23
AH HA, so Blaster is the welding Master. 

Congrats on the honors about to be presented.  I will be back there all week myself.  Maybe we'll get a chance to meet. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-13-2011 05:11
Hello Brent, I'm sure that if you get a chance to meet with Rod the two of you will hit it off right away. I hope to make it out to Fabtech one of these days(years), just not in the cards for the time being. You guys have a great time there. Certainly a host of interesting and cool stuff. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2011 22:40
Thanks Allan.  I just got into my hotel this afternoon.  Made a long day.  Been up since 2:00AM my time in AZ.  Headed out to explore and find FOOD.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GH College welding instructor gains Image award