Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / ER90S-B3 Mig Wire
- - By zinnan (*) Date 11-11-2011 02:48
Having a heck of a time with this .045 wire. Welds look sweet, but dig into it and porosity like crazy. 95/5 shielding gas.
Any suggestions? Two very accomplished welders have had these troubles on separate machines.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 11-11-2011 11:03
Hi zinnan

I am assuming that the gas is 95% Ar 5% CO2. Just confirm this please. From my experience, the type of wire you mention is not more prone to porosity that any other type of steel wire, so the posibilities from my experience are:

1) Bad batch of gas. (Typically has moisture contamination.)
2) Bad batch of wire. (This may sound crazy, but once had wire that contained gas pores inside the wire itself!)
3) External contamination of the wire.
4) Amperage / Voltage settings too high. (Tends to "blow" gas into the weld along with the spray transfer arc.)
5) Problem with the gas nozzle. (If the gas comes out in a "jet" rather than as a "blanket", it can blow into the weld. - Should not happen on two different weld guns though.)
6) Very cold weld settings that do not allow gas bubbles time to rise to the surface. (This will in all probability also result in LOF / cold lap defects.)
7) Poor welder technique. (Should not happen to two different welders though.)
8) Leaks in the gas line. (Should not happen to two different weld set-ups.)

Maybe other guys can add to this, especially on the welder technique issue.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By zinnan (*) Date 11-14-2011 15:28
Thanks for you reply...I went through your list and fortunately had addressed those issues prior to posting. Glad to see I am on the right track. Here is the conclusion we came to...we had posessed plates. We could find no other reason. I rewelded new test plates the following day and things went fairly well. I ran into one serious pass with porosity issues and realized the interpass temp was near 500. The specs gave a range from 400-600 but we concluded those numbers were high for this 315 BR material and the 90S wire. No problems as long as the interpass temp stayed around the 400 mark.
Thanks for the help, we'll see if the mechanicals hold up to spec.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / ER90S-B3 Mig Wire