Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What happened to Keystone Pipeline post?
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 11-17-2011 22:54
Just wondering.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-17-2011 23:12
moved to otbg where it belongs
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2011 23:21
And if you can't find the 'Off Topic Bar and Grill' on your drop down main headers... Go to 'About the Forum' and there is a thread there for joining 'Off Topic Bar and Grill'. 

Ross responds pretty quickly to requests and adds it to your ability to access.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 11-17-2011 23:54
Thanks
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-18-2011 01:12
It's called Censorship.

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

The Keystone pipeline project topic appears to be banned on the AWS forum.  The AWS has been pumping the 'welder shortage' myth since the last presidential election.  You do the math.

F this place.  AWS is a joke anyway.  Based in Miami FL?  The welding center of the USA?  Anyone who has tried to deal with these dirtbags knows what a rotten organization of worthless slugs they really are.

ASME and API are the real welding institutions you want to deal with anyway.  AWS is fast becoming the 'FAST FOOD' of the welding trade.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-18-2011 01:18
somebody needs a hug :grin:
Parent - By bigmark234 Date 11-18-2011 01:44
Or a steel toed boot............
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2011 01:48
Nothing was CENSORED in any way.  Nor was it "banned".  It was reposted in the topic area it belonged in. 

If that's the way you feel about AWS, you are not being forced to be a member nor stay on this forum.  Especially against your will.  I think the admins have been very patient with your 'RIGHTS' to express YOUR opinions. 

And as it is their forum, and they have responsibility to maintain a properly organized, informational, welding related forum for the benefit of ALL participants they can place or remove any item they so desire.  Especially those only designed to cause disgruntlement, anarchy, arguments, and all around dissatisfaction with their goals and purpose.

Call me whatever you would like.  I am proud to be a member of this Society no matter how imperfect they may be.  They do a lot of good for students, welders, and the world wide good of people needing protection from those who would do sloppy work that would endanger the populace. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-18-2011 02:21
Try calling the AWS HQ in Miami on any day of the week and getting a question answered or actually tlaking to a person who speaks fluent English.  Good luck! 

Leave a message on someones voice mail and see if they call you back.  Write a letter or send an email and see if someone replies. 

These slugs at AWS are nothing but Certificate and Diploma MILLS designed to take your money. That's why many companies are leaving them in DROVES!  AWS is the FAST FOOD of the welding field and everyone knows it!  Deal with them in person or try it on the phone and see for yourself.  CALL THEM and ask a simple question and see if someone gets back to you.  You'll be waiting a long time.

Good bye.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2011 03:24
Interesting. 

Let's try a few FACTS:

1) AWS membership is up and increasing steadily and regularly.  When I became a member it was about 50,000, it is currently closing in on 70,000.  Corporate membership is also up to record numbers. 

2) Member retention rates are about 85%.  That is pretty good for any organization.

3) Even before I became a Section officer for AZ, anyone I called answered the phone over 60% of the time.  If I did leave a voice mail they got back to me fairly quickly as long as I left a proper message with contact information.

4) My emails got the same kind of response.  And they would contact me even if they were passing my question on to someone else because I had the wrong dept or committee. 

5) I have had questions answered about publications, exams, seminars, application of codes, requests for info on qualifications for particular certifications.  You can find the results of that right here on the forum in the 'Bolting' section when we put together a whole bunch of info on the whole program that was not easy to find by oneself. 

6) When I first tried to get info on getting involved with a local section they got a hold of my local officers and passed on my contact info to them and they got to me within a week.  That's pretty good considering how busy most local officers are with their own families and work. 

7)  I have never gotten anyone I could not understand.  Most of the accents I hear are no different than the difference between Texas, Maine, Oregon, or Arizona.  I have never had to ask for someone else because I couldn't understand what they were saying.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-18-2011 12:31
Brent:

You are wasting your time trying to get commonarc to deal with facts, since all he is after is another excuse to launch his political rants! Nice rebuttal though!
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-19-2011 04:38
I hear obama is on the board of the AWS, so I guess commonarc has a good reason to complain

/I kid:twisted:
Parent - By jpill (**) Date 11-18-2011 15:14
Hey awspartb!!! Glad to see your back! How is that union retirement going?:grin:
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 11-18-2011 16:25
commonarc, so why are you still here?

To all,, please release "commonarc" from any obligation real or conceived to AWS. he is very unhappy and needs to move on and if it's not to late he could throw his hat in the ring for president (of what I am not sure).
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-19-2011 16:53
Commonarc,

We don't always provide 100% satisfaction. Certainly there are some times, like during the show that we had this week, when our staff may not be responsive or the "second team" is handling calls. Letting your Section chair know is a good way to have your complaints brought forward and dealt with quickly. We are primarily an organization of volunteers -- the people who I really work for are volunteers, and they write the codes and define how the certs work and build our programs. Paid staff is actually pretty small for an organization of about 70,000 members.

My direct line is (800) 443-9353 ext. 226. Sometimes I am able to figure out what folks actually want and find the right person to get their question answered. Some people call in who are a bit distracted by life's pressures or have had maybe some kind of head injury and can't precisely express what they need, but I often can decipher what kind of help is needed. Give me a call and I will try to get that pipeline going right away.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 11-20-2011 02:52 Edited 11-20-2011 13:42
You stay classy Ross.

I remember trying to call that phone number in regards to CWI seminar instructor lovingly known as 'Bubba' several years ago.
Many others had serious issues with this guy at MULTIPLE CWI seminars and were demanding full refunds due to 'bubba's' whack job & eradic behavior during the week long presentaion that had nothing to do with the CWI exam.  You remember that one don't you Ross?  I know you took action :sad:  to see that this type of behavior would never happen again.  It's nice to see 'Bubba' is still a contributing member to the AWS.  Is he still 'teaching' the $1800 per student CWI seminar also?  Lucky are those wo get to attend (and pay ) for this!

You stay classy Ross.  I know you will always put the interests of the AWS membership ahead of the good ole boys club down in Miami.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2011 03:02 Edited 11-20-2011 03:10
omg 

Ross what a bomb post by you young man. Thanks for the giggles and such.

Commonarc.....I share your frustration man.  I would not qualify to work on that long ditch.  But if it got some of the pipeliners off my roads round here I might get some more work in my bucket.... by gosh I am all for it.  It truly is jobs jobs jobs so I agree the admin of the govt should push it through .......the political bs holding it up is just that.  As far as the AWS goes, well they have never been anything other then informative and helpful to me.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-20-2011 14:50
Commonarc,

He hasn't been instructing for a long time, due to the complaints on this forum.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2011 16:50 Edited 11-20-2011 16:52
He still has too much authority at Skills U.S.A.

But I guess that's not an AWS thing  :)
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-20-2011 20:37
No, but we provide a lot of support. Cool thing at Fabtech -- three past WorldSkills medalists from USA appearing together:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=293678680664016

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2011 21:17 Edited 11-20-2011 21:48
Yep

One of the all time medalists is a regular poster on the forum..\\

Big fan of Skills U.S.A.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-18-2011 04:21
Hear, hear!! (me clapping)
Parent - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 11-18-2011 16:49
Re-Read your constitution.  The First Amendment only guarentees that the government will not suppress speech.  Private individuals can usually engage in censorship.
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 11-18-2011 14:57
they have always responded to my emails.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 11-19-2011 08:01
Didn't mean to start anything.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 11-19-2011 16:57
Robert,

That's OK. It was moved by volunteer moderator, and it seems like the consensus is that that was an sensible move to the most appropriate part of the forum.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 11-19-2011 17:57
Ross, youdaman. We all come on here and whine, learn and have a good time (usually) and rarely give a thought to the hard work and time you and the other AWS people put into this site for us. THANK YOU. And I am sure there are others who will echo my sentiments.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 11-19-2011 18:49
Ditto that!:grin:
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 11-20-2011 02:50
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/hannity/

All you need to know about the REAL reason why the Keystone XL Pipeline was delayed is right here in this brilliant commentary by Charles Krauthammer.
ENJOY!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What happened to Keystone Pipeline post?