Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More projects, more pictures
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-20-2011 19:10 Edited 11-20-2011 19:33
Just a couple of the latest gigs going on, from hand rail to gas pipe, in the ditch and on a roof! The last picture is of some of the welds on the roof access ladder. This is around 30 feet off the ground, being a welder and seeing this mess makes you wonder how safe you really are!
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-20-2011 20:22
Nice work, and a stark contrast to the mess in the last picture!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-20-2011 20:22
Nice versitality! Handrails, pipeline, tie in, break time and air cooled heat exchangers....... and please tell me that those complete FAIL welds on the ladder cage are not yours........ :eek:

jrw159
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-20-2011 20:33 Edited 11-20-2011 20:36
Hahaha!!! No, they are not mine, hate that they are even on the same property as mine! Think those are bad you should see the ones that tie the ladder to the structure at the top! That's always a sight to see when you get all the way up there and the dirt dobber welds are staring you in the face. This is a big chain store and it's shocking to see that this garbage gets by. Hmmm, just had a thought, take pictures and send them to the home office and ask them about them and see if they would like some quality welders on their next build.....good idea! Thanks jrw!

That roof shot we're adding thread-o-lets to some for new units, running new welded lines, rewelding stuff they cut to put stub outs and caps for "future use". Had them fly my ranger on the roof yesterday. First weld was touch and go, have not welded downhill with the ranger in over a year! Took a minute but we're back in groove thang!
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-22-2011 00:03
All looks okay except that tie in how did you get away with that much miter on that pipe!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 01:02
It wasn't really that much. Looks worse in the picture because of the angle the picture was taken from. Besides, back in the day before store bought 45's, 22.5's and so on how did they do it? On top of that they can x-ray, cut out a strip and bend, twist, pull and do whatever they want to. Got a good root in, good hot pass, fill and cap. The pipe will go before the weld. Out in a ditch miles from anywhere and you get the job done, cut a 45 down to a 22.5, 22.5 to an 11-1/4 or if you don't have a store bought fitting get out the black book and go old school and make it happen. Contractor got me weld-o-lets one time that were 8-12's for 4" pipe, the saddle had a gap about 3/4" inch of open root. Told them that won't work, they did not have 4-8 weld-o-lets. So, made my own saddle and branch, welded them out.

Although I suppose we I could have told them to special order an 11-1/4 degree fitting, waited several days and shut the job down. When it arrived I would have had to cut it down and widdle it down to a 5-5/8 degree fitting or less. Besides if you do a 45 and you mitre 22.5 degrees on each pipe, then bevel and weld it I fail to see what would cause the pipe to be weaker than a 45* fitting? If your using x42 pipe it's still x42 pipe with a mitre, you still do an open root, hot and fill and cap, it won't change the structure of the metal anymore than doing a straight but weld. Make sure you tie in the sides on your hot pass, same with the fill pass and then a cap that is no more than 1/8" at the crown and no undercut on the toes or pinholes. Looking through 1104 I did not see anything, but still learning where to find stuff so I could be wrong.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-22-2011 01:44
It's not a point of how they used to do it i believe that is four inch? which means by api code i believe you are only allowed i think 3deg max. I'm just saying thats not a good habit to get into you probably should have cut down a fitting  or dug a bigger belhole and roped that in. or even thrown a little bend on your pipe if you had a bending shoe or couple skids handy.

90percent of the companies i work for and x-ray crew would have kicked that back.

I am sure one of these inspectors or engineers can elaborate a little more and as to the exact code
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 02:21 Edited 11-22-2011 02:33
Ok, hopefully they can tell me what section it is listed in. Been reading 1104 and not seeing anything saying anything about 3* but like I said, still learning my way around the book.

I believe I follow you on the "roping in" part", good idea if we could flex it enough. No bending shoes or anything, I'm just the welder others do all of the other work.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 11-22-2011 02:32
Well I'm not knocking ya...... Cause trust me I've had to do some stuff that company men have wanted that i didn't want to put my name on. I'm just pretty much giving ya a pointer not to do it.....I work for a maintance contractor now and we dig up stuff like that all the time.....especially on pig-able lines. You would be amazed at the stuff we see especially on the real old lines.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 02:57
I got ya, next time I'll have to remember that roping in thing. We did some crazy stuff to tie in the two sections using a come along, backhoe and straps. They won't be pigging this line that's for sure. Still trying to find some documentation on it though.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / More projects, more pictures