Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / awsD17.1
- - By BryantB (*) Date 11-22-2011 15:26
Hello
  Does anyone know when qualifying a welder with a test that has two base materials of different thickness how u determine what your qualified base material thickness range is.

Thank you
Bryant b.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-22-2011 17:31
In general, the thinner sheet governs.

Al
Parent - - By BryantB (*) Date 11-23-2011 04:21
Thank you for the response.
  Is there anywhere in the code that specifically says that.  I've got to have some code that I can reference.

Thank you

Bryant B.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-23-2011 05:02
4.3.3.1  is the key...  (I only have a 2001 edition on hand)  I believe 5.3.3.1 in the new but I can't bank on that.

I don't see how it really matters if your material is over .063    because it will qual from 0.63 to 4t

If one piece is less than .063 than I would assume (which means opinion) the operator would be qualified from the thickness of the thinner member (and no less) to 4t of the thicker.

Keep in mind there are different inspection criteria for fillets with member/s less than .063

Do you have PQR's already in place for the full thickness range you would be testing your welders to?
Parent - By BryantB (*) Date 11-23-2011 15:51
We have the same 2001 version of aws d17.1. What we are trying to do is qualify welders to weld in production .025" wall tubing.So we have a 2F coupon test with a .035"wall tube and .064" thick plate.So based off of 4.3.3.1 .035x.67=.023 about.  So which member do we use the 4t max and .67t min to find what our qualified base metal thickness range is.  Ive been looking in D17.1 but cant seem to find anything specific to this situation.  The PQR written for this scenario covers us for the thickness we need to well in respect to this tubing size.  As well we have more PQR's to qualify other aspects of the production weldment.  We are going to do the examination in-house just for the 2F coupon test.  So we need the qualified base metal thickness range to include with the PQR.

Thank you

Bryant B.
Parent - - By cwi2009 (**) Date 11-25-2011 01:10
Here is the 2010 edition:

5.3.3.1 Qualified Thickness Range
(1)A test weld with a base metal thickness of t shall qualify welds with a thickness range of 0.67t to 4t, except that when the test weld thickness is equal to or greater than 1 in [25 mm], the qualification range is 0.67t to unlimited. Two test welds shall qualify welds with all intermediate thicknesses.
(2)Qualification for sheet or tube fillet welds in material 0.063 in [1.6 mm] thickness (sheet or tube wall) or less requires a fillet weld test. A groove weld test cannot be used to qualify fillet welds in this thickness range.
NOTE: Tube fillet weld qualifications are based on tube thickness only, not mating sheet thickness.
(3)Qualification for tube welding on tubes of 1 in [25 mm] OD or less requires qualification of a tube weld. The tube weld qualification is for any tube size equal to or larger than the OD of the tested tube weld.
NOTE: Qualification for tube welding on tube one inch [25mm] or greater may be qualified using sheet.
Parent - By BryantB (*) Date 11-28-2011 18:12
Thank you.
  Yes that is what I was looking for specifically. 
  Thank you guys again for the help.

Bryant B.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / awsD17.1