Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E-7014
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-17-2004 21:28

E-7014

Amazing stuff eh?

All positions---

All polarities

No rod oven

Still, I just don't have alot of experience running this stuff out of position. I'm thinking specifically about 1/8 inch electrode run in vertical up and overhead positions on 3/8 inch plate, Fillets or beveled grooves.

However, I would be grateful to hear tips and tricks of the trade that apply to polarity selection relating to thickness and position, root passes, weaving technique and the like.

I'm not really satisfied with what I'm currently doing so any advice might save me some time doing trials.

Doublethanks

Parent - - By happybearwelder (*) Date 02-25-2004 04:48
What are you doing that needs 70 series for? if you dont NEED 70 go to 6010. All position and a whole lot easier to use. If you have to use 7014 be sure to watch the metal in the puddle and not the slag. Thats where most people go wrong with that stuff. The slag is easier to see and you start watching that instead of the metal below. Then you get voids and inclusions. Run some test samples and you will see what I mean.

Happybearwelder.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-25-2004 18:02
Happy,

E-7014 is supposed to be an all position electrode.

Lots of folks on the farm or with home equipment choose 7014 because its strong has easy slag removal (at least easier than 6010/6011) and can be used with virtually any powersource and does not require a stabelizing oven.

Runs easy enough flat. But V-up with 1/8 electrodes seems to be a bit of a trick and I was looking for hints from an old hand that had done it. Which polarity is most favorible etc.

I have also noted that it really runs best (flat) at 130-145 amps but that seems a bit high for V-up or O/H and again, just lookin for tips from those who have done it and done it well.

Thanks
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 02-26-2004 03:26
Hi Lawrence;

Been a while since I posted, but 7014, I haven't run that since shop class, 1976.
Dale Simonds
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-26-2004 09:13
Hi Lawrence!
So you want to know about E-7014 and it's optimal welding techniques, polarity and current settings for vertical-up & overhead positions with a 1/8' dia. electrode?
Well - here's the low-down... E-7014 is a "fast follow" or "fill freeze" SMAW electrode is similar to an E-6012 or E-6013 in it's characteristics with some discreet differences and some limitations in it's optimal applications.
I personally have welded with E-7014 only for a few years myself so, I'm far from being "an old hand" with this electrode.
However, if my memory serves me correctly (and it does'nt always these days) I used DCSP or DCEN for best results and sometimes switched to AC if I was experiencing arc blow.
As far as current goes for vertical-up and overhead, I would use the low-end of the current range (100-145 amps for DCEN, 110-160 for AC with "Fleetweld 47").
If your current is a little low for you at the low end then increase your current (depending on the power source) in increments as small as possible until you reach your desired setting but you should get decent results starting at around 110-120 amps and not any higher than these parameters for 1/8" diameter when welding vertical-up & overhead.
As far as technique goes for the above mentioned positions, let's start with vertical-up first then we'll finish with overhead.
Vertical-up: You want to use a "triangular weave".
Weld a shelf at the bottom of the joint and add layer upon layer.
Try not to weave any wider than 2-1/2 to 3 times the diameter of the electrode if possible once you get the hang of the "triangular weave" so, if you find yourself weaving slightly wider than 3 times the diameter of the electrode in the beginning - it's okay until you get the hang of it!
DO NOT whip or take the electrode out of the molten pool while you're welding with this electrode because you'll find more spatter, porosity,slag inclusions and LOF that the appearance of the weld will depress & frustrate you especially if you only have experience welding with E-6010 or E-7018!!! Now - if you've welded with E6012 or E-6013
before in the vertical-up position before then it should be a "piece of cake" for you welding with the E-7014 at the lower current ranges also.
Point the electrode slightly upward so that the arc force helps control the puddle. Travel slow enough to maintain the shelf without spilling but, not too slow in order to avoid spilling the puddle and slag entrapment.
If you move too fast you'll end up with LOF and slag inclusions so your speed or progression must be consistent! DO NOT let the molten slag get into the molten puddle as you progress upwards!!! Finally, these "fast follow" or "fill freeze" electrodes are more ideally suited for sheetmetal and widely used in the level (flat) and downhill positions but are sometimes used in the vertical-up & overhead positions also, even though they are designated as an all position electrode; E-6012, E-6013, E6019 and E-7014 should not be confused as being the same type of electrode as a E-7024 which is a "fast fill" electrode and has low arc penetration where the E-7014 has medium arc penetration.
One more thing about "fill freeze" electrodes; These are designed to provide a compromise between "fast freeze" and "fast fill" characteristics, and they provide medium deposition rates & medium penetration. You can find more info in Lincoln Electric's "Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" pages 6.2-9 & 6.2-10 so, let's move on to Overhead: Deposit stringer beads using a whipping technique with a slight circular motion in the crater. DO NOT weave! Travel fast enough to avoid spilling. Use currents also in the lower portion of the range although I personally like a slightly higher current than I use with vertical-up. Now remember that these techniques are for your root pass so, if you're also going to fill and cap in the vertical-up position you can use a straight weave technique without pausing at the toes and move faster without going beyond the shelf of the bead. With overhead, just keep running stringers until you're done!
Bottom line is to use a lower current range when welding out of position (vertical-up & overhead) and practicing the above mentioned techniques.
Hope this helps and I'll see ya at the show!!! Let us know how it works out for you.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-26-2004 12:21
Mighty Submariner!

Nice to hear from you.

The triangular weave sounds like the trick and I'm gonna give it a try. I've always been a straight stringer guy with any of the "fat flux" rods. I can remember several old forman insisting that "Stringers are stronger" and thats all they ever wanted to see. And of course after about a million repetitions one can simply forget there are other options.

When the students ask these questions they just expect to get an answer right off the cuff, and a perfect demo to boot eh?

You have improved my chances of answering that question and a number of interested students will learn something new today...

Thanks.

PS. And as for the demo, remember; If you have 3 cups of coffee before the demonstration its not shaking its oscillation! >snort<

I hope to see you at the show. I will be attending day one at least. Also, I visited the "Manufacturers Week" at McCormac place in Chicago on tuesday. I can say that one of the *key economic indicators* (freebes in the bag), do indeed indicate an upswing in the economy. <the 3D prototype printers just blew me away>

Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 02-26-2004 20:04
I'm sorry to say I've never had the pleasure of using 7014 out of position. Just something about that pile of slag falling on my head lol.

Brian J. Maas
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / E-7014