Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-06-2011 18:47
It's been a while.  :)  After a test plate has been submitted for xray, is that plate able to be repaired and resubmitted?  Internally, it looks great.  The defect is overlap on the surface where there is a step in the plate.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2011 19:59
Slightly confused..

Generally visual examinations are done prior to RT... 

Overlap is generally found during the visual inspection..

Anyhow... If it fails visual (in my opinion) before or after RT.. The weld is rejectable.

If it were a production weld than *if* a repair procedure is in place, it could be followed.

In a test?   Not unless you have text in your Welder performance qualification WPS specifically addressing repairs of a test weldment.

It appears to me that there was a slight mistake in your inspection process and that the weld should have been rejected before RT.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2011 20:55
I concure with Lawrence.

If it doesn't pass VT, it is rejected, end of story.

Reminds me of a D1.1 welder performance test report I had to review a few years ago. Under the heading of visual test results it said: "The weld looks like ****, but it passed X-ray."

The bottom line is that the welder failed (unless it was welded to ASME Section IX) the test if it didn't pass VT, it never should have been sent to RT.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-06-2011 23:59
Thank you gentlemen...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1