Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question about charges?
- - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-06-2011 23:46
let me explain the situation first.i have a full time job,just do welding on the side.i do run a welding rig when i do side work.starting to get more and more side work,nothing i cant handle yet.i got a call today to go about 35 miles from my house and make about 3 3inch welds.basically weld up a sign post.just kinda curious if anybody on here is close to my situation and how much they would charge?oh it will take about 30 mins to do the job start to finish. thanks in advance
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-07-2011 01:25
Vern, Where you are located, Charge 65 per hour and a 4 hour minimim
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-07-2011 01:28
kaufman tx thanks
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-07-2011 01:36
I know where your at. Or did you forget ?
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-07-2011 01:51
lol sorry man i read it wrong thought you were asking.i was thinking  he knows where i live
Parent - By strother (***) Date 12-07-2011 01:48
I run a shop and also do onsite work. When my rig goes out its $60.00/Hr. with a 4hr. minimum. I make sure the customer knows this up front so there are no surprises .
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-07-2011 01:52
I have a minimum charge to roll the truck. I'm an hour from everywhere I work so for my situation it's special. I did a service connection and repaired a vent for them. Took me right at 4 hours with driving. I charged them my minimum. Some guys do a 4 hour minimum, I do a dollar amount. I raised it $25 this year and if diesel keeps doing it's thing it will probably go up next year. It's about as basic as can be, just have to find a number that works. It took me a few years to narrow down something that was fair for both parties.

I do make exceptions though, got a tiny job fixing a gate knob. Remove a set screw, install and weld in place(tack). Told her I had a minimum of charge and when I told her she liked to fell over. Told her I would not feel fair doing that and if she could wait for me to catch it on my way by from another job I'll just charge a flat fee. She said that was ok, been broke for two years so another couple weeks would not hurt!

Everybody pretty much understands the minimum charge, have not had any gripes about it. Repaired a Tiger stand(yes Tiger stand) for the circus that was in town. Emergency repair on aluminum. Took me 45 minutes, 45 minutes before the show and charged him $250, he was tickled to death to pay for it. My kid died and said, "it took like an hour!!" Told her in this situation I could have charged $500 and he would have paid for it. Worked my arse off though!! The Shriners kept riding by on their Harley's asking if I was done yet, "Got a bunch of stuff gonna be coming thru here in 10 minutes". It was cool though, saved the show and did not break a sweat!!
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-07-2011 02:24
There ya go!! It's not what it's worth to you...it's what is it worth to them!!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-07-2011 02:53 Edited 12-07-2011 03:07
I actually do charge 65 hour 4 hour minimum on a cold call (that is a little high apparently), 55 hour for regular repeat customers.  If you have a small 1 hr job I will tell you to bring it to me, or wait till I am in the area and I will cut it to two hours.  Charge a way different rate on SS and Aluminum.  Do not chase every little 2 inch weld or it will nickle and dime you to death...make them bring it too you. 

35 miles away, 3 3" welds sounds like three hours of of your time+fuel.....what do you do?
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-07-2011 05:09
65 an hr 4 hour minimum. Everybody gets charged the same even frequent repeat customers
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2011 03:18
Hey fellas, can we not charge more? I'm just sayin', that low rate is because of the hacks doing it for 30. I know, I know times are hard, they really are. It just bums me out that we do something that not many people would do even if they knew how, and we make half what a mechanic makes, not to mention the fortune he makes on flag hrs. Just ranting.....
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-11-2011 17:58
Sourdough

I guess it depends on where you are a lot.  Several guys around here do 55 hr.  But there are a bunch I see on craigslist or whatever advertising 35hr for portable work.  I just figure with what it costs me to run, eventually those guys will go broke or get busted on taxes or something.  I know one guy that charges $200 to show up...that is not a minimum that is just to show up...on site fee he calls it.

I reckon what bugs me most is what the avg. plumber or electrician gets per hour.  I think about what tools an electrician has invested, or even a plumber then what a guy spends to equip a decent welding rig.  Welders are definitely upside down on that one.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-12-2011 02:49
I could not agree more. Your average, small time electrician, one truck or van like us doing his own thing and an electrician won't be out charging $55 per hour, more like $75 or $85 is more like it. Even a plumber same thing, if they have to buy a rigid pipe vise and dies and threading equipment then it ends there with a few grand. Neither one of them is dropping $13,000 on a pipe pro, vantage, or whatever you fancy. Not to mention suitcase welder, bevelers, torches, porta bands, second backup welders, $3000 in welding lead or more. I've talked to painters that charge more than me and clients are happy to pay it, don't complain, not shocked. Now, I ain't mocking painters but really, how hard is it?
Parent - - By A_DAB_will_do (*) Date 12-12-2011 14:29
I read this on another forum:  http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pricing-estimating-success-27899/
There's good advice in here.

"One of the most challenging aspects of running a contracting business is estimating jobs. For someone with little experience, estimating can be a rather scary endeavor (it can also be scary for someone with tons of experience). After all, the accuracy of the estimate will have a huge impact on the contractor’s success.

This, I believe, is the primary reason we see so many questions asking what to charge for a job. But such questions are misdirected, because what I (or anyone else) would charge is completely irrelevant and doesn’t address the real issues.

The price of a job is comprised of 4 basic components: labor costs, material costs, overhead, and profit. Estimating is the process of identifying the labor and material costs. We add our overhead and profit to those costs to obtain our price.

Overhead—advertising, rent, insurance, utilities, phone, owner’s salary, etc.— is completely unique to each company. Without knowing these numbers, it is impossible to properly price a job.

Profit goals are also unique to each company. Again, without knowing the specific profit goals for a company, it is impossible to properly price a job.

Consequently, any attempt to answer a pricing question in the absence of these two key numbers is essentially meaningless. More to the point, pricing questions ignore the fact that a large percentage (often more than 50%) of the job’s price should be comprised of overhead and profit. (My suspicion is that those who pose such questions don’t know their overhead, and mistake gross profit for net profit. But that’s a different issue.)

As I said, estimating is the process of identifying the labor and material costs for the job. Labor costs are determined by the type of work being performed, the production rates of the company’s workers (the time required to perform each task), and pay rates. As with overhead and profit, these numbers will be unique to each company. Material costs are determined by the type of materials required, the quantity required, and their purchase price.

For example, let us say that a painting contractor knows that his painters can prepare and paint a certain style of door in 30 minutes. He looks at a job that has 10 of these doors. He knows that his painters can prep and paint these doors in 5 hours. He can also calculate the materials required by the spread rate of the product he will use. The contractor can now determine what his costs will be for the job. By adding his overhead and profit to these costs he will have his price for this job.

While the above example is simple and uses a painting project, the same principle applies to every contracting job—large or small, simple or complex—regardless of trade.

What should I charge for X? really means: what is the total of my labor costs, material costs, overhead, and profit? And the answer to that question requires a substantial amount of additional information. Providing an answer without that information is simply a guess.

Accurately pricing a job is not rocket science, but it shouldn’t be based on conjecture, blind guesses, or another company’s numbers either. Certainly accurate estimating takes effort, but owning a successful business isn’t easy. Asking what to charge for a job is asking for a short cut, but there are no short cuts to success.

Such questions about prices for a job are inappropriate, because they ignore the many factors that determine the price. Providing a price in response to such questions is also inappropriate, for the same reasons.

It is a documented fact that 90% of small businesses fail within 5 years. Of those that make it 5 years, another 90% will fail within the next five years. Which means, 99% of small businesses fail within 10 years. One of the primary reasons for failure is not charging enough. Contractors are as guilty of this as anyone.

There seems to be no shortage of hacks willing to work for dirt cheap prices. Nor does there seem to be a shortage of replacements when they inevitably fail. One of the most effective means for avoiding failure is to know your numbers. Asking what to charge for a job is simply an admission that you don’t know your numbers.

I hasten to add that there is nothing wrong or inappropriate with asking how to price a job. But how to price is different from what price to give. Learning the process is a good thing. Looking for an easy way out isn’t.

Putting paint on the wall is a trade skill. Pricing a job is a business skill. A skilled craftsman does not necessarily make a good businessman, because different skills are required. The owner of a contracting company does not necessarily need to have trade skills, but it is imperative that he have business skills if he is to succeed. The longer you wait to obtain those skills, the closer you move to joining those 99%.

Brian Phillips

EDIT:
See this thread as to why we don't allow pricing questions here:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/wh...r-talk-100555/ "
Parent - By strother (***) Date 12-12-2011 18:30
Very true!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2011 20:53
So true.  And well put. 

This whole thing seems to come around about 3-4 times per year.  Not that it isn't worth reminding ourselves and educating others on what all is really involved in the business of 'Being In Business' and staying that way.  So many do not start out with a good safety cushion and/or nearly all the equipment they are going to need.  That includes the office equipment, insurance, and all the other overhead.

And it is very difficult to offer pricing suggestions even when people are in the same general area.  Everyone has different overhead expenses and profit dreams.

To use another example from another trade: If I have a backhoe that costs $250,000 and with it can dig a ditch 24" wide, 36" deep and 100' long in (X) amount of time, should I charge the same rate per hour as the next guy who has a $500,000 trackhoe that can dig the same ditch in half of my time?  No, our rates will reflect our speed of completion as well as the quality of the work.  Now, if we are both bidding the job by the end product, not by the hour, then our rates will be comparable but the customer will have to decide how quickly he wants his job done and rather one of the operators has more experience and higher finished quality.

Some of these guys running around with no Contractors Licenses, insurance, office and/or shop space (not that you need a shop if you are totally portable), and are using these little 110volt welders really make my day.  But they won't last long.  Especially after some guys equipment repair breaks in the same spot from lack of fusion and they get to do the job again for free- after renting a welder that can do the job (and hope he has the skill to actually use a real welder).  Their rates are not even worth worrying about.  Go make a living and charge what YOU need to make it pay.

But, I do think Cactus gave you a safe bet for your location.  And he should know it.

Good luck. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-14-2011 05:29
thanks for all the input it is appreciated.i will choose my questions a little more wisely next time
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / question about charges?