Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Range of Qualification of Base Metals, Welding Personnel
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-14-2011 12:46
Can someone please tell me if I am correct on this: Welding personnel qualified with a Group II steel are qualified in accordance with Table 4.8 as per the statement in 4.22, AWS D1.1 2010 edition. Am I reading this right? Thank You.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2011 16:08
Now we know why you missed passing the open book exam by "just one question."

Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge. You are not alone in your quandary.

Table 4.8 is for procedure qualification. The reference to clause 4.22 refers the reader to clause 4.8, not Table 4.8. Clause 4.22 requires the welder to follow the WPS and the WPS must address all the essential variables listed in clause 4.8. Clause 4.8.3 refers the reader to Table 4.8, but again, clause 4.8 is addressing the WPS, not performance qualification. However, clause 4.22 also refers the reader to Table 4.12 listing the essential variables for performance qualification.

My understanding is that if a welder follows a prequalified WPS  or a WPS qualified by testing, assuming the base metal is listed in Table 3.1, Table 4.8, or Table 4.9, the performance qualification is valid for any of the listed base metals per Table 4.12 (where a change in the base metal is not listed as an essential variable). 

To buttress my position I refer the reader to the following code interpretation:

Subject: Base Metal Qualifications
Code Edition: D1.1-90
Code Provision: Table 4.1 and Subsection 5.5.1.3
AWS Log: ID1-90-027-03
Inquiry: (1) A Group V to Group V metal of Table 4.1 weld qualification is made. Is the procedure and/or the welder qualified to weld a Group V metal to any other Group V metal listed in Table 4.1?
(2) A Group V steel to a nonlisted metal weld qualification is made. Is the procedure and/or welder qualified to weld the nonlisted metal to any other Group metal listed in Table 4.1?

Response: (1) No. Subsection 5.5.1.3 covers welding Group V to Group V base metals. However, the procedure applies only to welds made [using] the specific ASTM material specification and minimum specified yield strength as the base metal [for running] the procedure, without regard for Group number. See the example cited in 5.5.1.3. However, the welder is qualified to weld all steels in Table 4.1 by virtue of the fact that the material grouping of the steel is not a welder variable.
(2) No. Steels that are not listed in Table 4.1 require procedure qualification and the procedure only qualifies on the combination of materials tested (see 1.2.2). The welder in this situation again is qualified to weld on any Table 4.1 material by virtue of the answer given to Inquiry (1) above.

While the interpretation is dated (1990 edition of AWS D1.1), it establishes the philosophy of how the code committee thinks. I don’t believe that philosophy has changed. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-14-2011 17:34
Thanks Al. I had you in mind when I posted the question and knew you would respond. Didn't figure it would be to bust my plums though!!!! LOL. Couldn't this be addressed by simply listing Base metal in Table 4.12? And BTW I must have been at least one question to the good on the CWI exam!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2011 17:41
There would be no joy to reading the posts in the Forum if we couldn't trade a jab or two with each other. I've been on the receiving end more than a few times.

As the Code Interpretation indicates, your question has comes up more than once over time. It is a good question and it deserved a good answer. After having my way with you, I hope I did justice to your question. :grin:

Let's see; squeeze oranges - get orange juice. Squeeze apples - get apple juice. Squeeze plums - get prune juice. Yup, I see the connection!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Range of Qualification of Base Metals, Welding Personnel