Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welder qualification tests
- - By yank88 Date 12-17-2011 11:58
Hello, posting this for a co-worker,, working under b31.3,, my question is who has the authority to determine what test will qualify the welder after the coupon is visually
inspected?, would the client be the determining factor,, or would it go by what the procedure ,, he told me that he recieved apaper
from an engineer that radiograph was to be done to qualify, he told me he asked who autorized this to be done,, and no answer was given, just shoulder shrugging.
just need some answer to clarify this,, thank you
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-17-2011 15:09
Yank... Welcome to the forum.

Please read your own post again and edit it to be more clear.   With all due respect to a new poster, I can't for the life of me figure out what you would like to know.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-17-2011 15:13 Edited 12-17-2011 15:16
The Owner is legally responsible for determining which code section is applicable under the auspices of ASME B&PC Code. The construction code, i.e., the code section such as Section I, Section VIII, B31.1, B31.3, etc. references Section IX for qualifying the welder and the procedures.

The construction code can modify the requirements of Section IX. For instance, if you are working to B31.3 and the pipe system is declared to be "high pressure", performance tests must be evaluated using a guided bend test, i.e., RT is not acceptable.

In the absence of a modification by the construction code, qualification and evaluation of the test samples is per Section IX. In the case of performance qualification, Section IX offers a couple of alternatives, i.e., RT of the test coupon, RT of the first production weld, or guided bend tests may be used.

The customer, i.e., the Owner, usually represented by an engineering firm can impose any requirements they feel are appropriate provided they do so in the RFQ, purchase order, and the project specifications. If the Owner feels that RT provides greater assurance the test coupons will be properly evaluated, it is his prerogative to add that requirement to the project specification. In the absence of listing the requirement in the project specification, the Owner cannot unilaterally impose such restrictions or requirements. 

That being said, after witnessing several performance tests at a mechanical contractor's facility, I understand the Owner's concerns. In my case, I was testing a welder to AWS requirements. I was witnessing the welding of the Fillet Break Test coupons and performing the break test at the contractor's facility. While doing my work the contractor was qualifying several welders on pipe. For that purpose all the test witnessing and evaluations were performed by the shop foreman, i.e., no third party was involved. The shop foreman would cut the coupons for bend testing. He would then perform the guided bend test and if any open defects were observed on the convex surface, remove the defect by grinding and then pronounce the test as "Passed". It was little wonder that very few people (omission of the term "welder" is intentional) failed the open root pipe tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By yank88 Date 12-17-2011 18:26
Thank You  Al, and Lawrence for your replies,, have a Merry Christmass
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-17-2011 19:32
Merry Christmas to you too Yank..

I hope Al gave you what you wanted..  I was pullin my hair out but just couldn't figure it.
Parent - - By yank88 Date 12-17-2011 23:08
sorry for the confusion,, they are working on some jet fuel lines,, the contractor at an air port in South America, the American company, which has people overseeing
the work performed, summited the procedure to the client,, that had bend tests  stated in it, the engineering firm hired by the client also had paper work as  radoigraph
being used for test qualification for the welders,, I think it threw them off of having to bend straps ,as they really did"nt know how to set it up[strap cutting, setting up to bend] so they opt for x-ray,, all this pipe will be in the ground, and will be 100% x-ray,, I am sure I didn"t clear it up for you,,  sorry,  my friend just wanted to know if this was suitable testing,, thank you for your time,,
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-20-2011 17:27
You didn't mention the welding process, but keep in mind GMAW short circuiting transfer is required to be tested using guided bend tests per Section IX if I remember correctly.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welder qualification tests