Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Robotics
- - By R McLead (**) Date 01-14-2012 16:30
The Company I work for has planned to implement robotics this year into our welding, anyone have in words of wisdom?
They have put me in charge of the project, I began last fall talking to integrators but our type of manufacturing is high mix low volume. No one seems to have a good concept to address our needs.
Parent - - By BCW Date 01-14-2012 17:39
Have you looked at a robotic cell?
Parent - - By R McLead (**) Date 01-14-2012 21:26
Yes several different ones, our biggest obstacle is run sizes of 100 components or less with large size differences.

Ray
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-15-2012 03:34 Edited 01-15-2012 03:44
I think the company wasting their money with that lot size, unless the same component is being made all the time but in lots of 100 or less.  A million or more dollars can buy a lot of labor time if the welders are good and the quality is good!  When you spend more than a million dollars on a robotic cell, you have to keep it busy to get a good return on investment.  Good welding engineering or technicianship is required to work out the WPQRs.  Part accuracy, good fit-up and adequate feed and unload must be factored in to achieve a good return on investment.  Last year, I watched a company spend a whole month vainly and futilely trying to get a DOT D 1.5 Welding procedure qualified using a robot.  Finally they gave up and qualified it with a Bug-go.  Mechanization was much more economical than that multi-million dollar anchor that they had no work for three quarters of the year!  Then there was the issue of overtime and personnel overhead costs if they wanted to run the machine 24 / 7 when and if they ever got a decent job for it!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-15-2012 04:00
Over 20 years ago when robotics were first being implamented at Dana/Parrish for the production of auto frames, We had problems of (2) different natures.

1) The stamped components varried a fair ammount giving inconsistant fit up.

2) The production operators were of the mind that PEOPLE should be doing the work, and that if this ever caught on, the plant would be full of robots, and the former employees would be SOL.

In order to deal with problen 1, the fixturing was set up to give as tight a joint on (1) side of the part, and THAT side was welded roboticly. The other side was welded by a line welder [person] who could deal with the inconsistant joint gap.

Problem 2 was never completely resolved, but the operators did, to a degree accept the inevitable.

These welding lines produced the same parts all the time for years on end with only minor incramental changes. The robots were Hobart Moto Man units from the late '80s, I would expect modern equipment to have improved substantially.

Consider Joe Kane's points [all of them] but particularly that about lot size and frequency of production. If You run the same jobs repeatedly but in small orders You may stand a chance, but if every job is different and runs are short You have a rough road ahead of You.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-16-2012 13:19
Joe had some excellent points about robotics. Another one would be that if your going robotic you go total robotic or you will be maintaining two entirely different systems. Your tolerances have to be much tighter, material lead times will be increased, and if you have a great diversity of parts forget it. If your working to ASTM parts forget it.
- - By R McLead (**) Date 01-16-2012 22:52
Thanks people, I understand and agree there is currently no good way of implementing what I have been asked to do. I posted here hoping someone might have a different answer then what I have found and have concluded.

Ray
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-17-2012 00:44 Edited 01-17-2012 00:52
You have to get a lot of cycles for the efficiency of robotics to pay for the initial investment plus upkeep.  Just price an actuator motor on a Fanuc five axis...or for that matter just limit switches and sensors, the switches die fast.  If you are doing runs of 100 pieces and doing the same five or six setups on 100 pieces at a time it might work out fine.....I would not consider robotics unless I was going to make in the 10's of thousands of the same piece a year.   Or unless it was a very long cycle time part...you got to think in man hours per piece to make this work out.  Caterpillar has this split of priorities down pat.  Typically a robotic setup reaps rewards faster on long cycle time parts, on small quick things you must be producing vast quantities to make the robot economical. Think 24/7 kind of production.  I setup and robotic run laser welders with robotic parts loaders and it was a sickeningly efficient way to make a high precision part with an amazing degree of weld quality and repeatability.  But robotics lend themselves to dedicated production lines not short runs of custom one off parts.....if you know your building the same more or less parts for the next five years then definitely look at the tooling investment.  I am not a production efficiency expert, just a guy who has been there and done that.
Parent - - By R McLead (**) Date 01-17-2012 02:22
Thanks, Tommy
We do have some very large components that take approximately a week for two welders to weld manually but their size and weight presents a problem for robotics.  These are already welded in a very large positioner which cannot be connected to a controller. The work envelope for this positioner is approximately 20ft by 50ft and thousands of pounds. We also have weldments that can be held in one hand, so how long of a cycle time would you say might be considered for robotics.

Ray
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-17-2012 04:40
Any cycle time...it is just with very short ones your gain over manual welding is not as large per part as  ones that take many hours/feet of weld.  Efficiency is gained with actual arc time per part.  It is no different then the machining world.  With a part with say two foot of linear weld you will have to do quite a bit before you start offsetting the cost and implementation of the equipment.  Of course dependant on your production situation lots of setups can be a real hitch in the giddyup even if it is on the same parts over and over.  Sounds like you are working with some huge weldments as well is very small lead time parts.

That is quite a large positioner....anything with an electric motor and a start stop switch can be hooked up a to a custom controller.  Either by a conventional motor and a plc limit switch system or by converting to a digital step motor.  A lot of modern robotics with vision systems can accommodate variations in positioning or dimensional changes on the fly.  I have seen 5 axis arms on track systems so they can move around.  I am sure they are ridiculously expensive too. They have been around for a while and get slicker every year.  Like I said before folks like Cat have found the right balance between what just works better manually welded and where the robotics really make them money, I believe bottom line it comes down to the amount you are going to produce.  One small Gmaw robot in a cell can replace 2.5 people, 24 hours a day and provide a much lower scrap rate and much lower cost.  I say that because 1 well trained operator can maintain 3-4 cells during a shift reasonably well with good programming and a good maintenance program....especially if CMM is used for QC in the line.

Just giving my paltry $.02 on it...that's all.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 01-18-2012 06:30
I would say my job is about 20-30% robotics.  It's hard to give a good sense of ROI etc as there's so many factors. Process, fit-up variance tool path complexity etc. 

I would say robots generally have a much higher arc efficiency than manual welders. My old rule of thumb was that a properly designed cell would run work about 3x as fast. Again there's lots of variables.  We ran batch work but never did something that was high mix  low volume.  You would have to account for tooling time changes.  IF you're truly doing custom or one-off batches then you would have to factor in programming and would pretty much need a dedicated programmer/tech to off-line program all the batches.  Unless the work is repeatable the ROI might not be there.

Conversely a properly designed cell can lead to lower defect rates (process dependent). A robot can save down stream costs if you're not repair 1-10% of welds. Also it sounds like you have a big part mix, it might be more wise to have a Robot hits 90% of the joints or the easy joints and manual welders get the tricky stuff. Conversely it might sense to get in a small work cell that can handle the handwork so your company can build up the internal lessons learned before dropping the big dollars for a huge cell. I had good luck cutting down defects and upping productivity with robotics, but quality was our concern more than cost as rework was difficult/impossible so scrapping was very uneconomical.

I would talk to the big integrators. If you're serious they will usually come look at your product and proof out a cell with a quote. With that they should be able to demo cycle times and put some actual numbers on it. Of course they are there to sell robots but the well known guys aren't going to over-promise you or give you useless features unless someone in management wants all the bells and whistles...

It so
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Robotics