Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / books on shop hints and tricks
- - By texarc (*) Date 03-06-2004 00:27
Hey everyone im looking for a book but do not know if it is out there. Im looking for a book that covers all the old tricks of the shop, you know all those old really neat ways of set up for fabrication and makeing your own shop tools, that kind of stuff. I do work with a 50yr
plus partner at our shop, but he is no longer intrested in metal work or welding, and generaly burnt out on the job he just shows for a pay check wich is sad and belive me no fun to work with.

He is not willing to share his knowlege of the info im after so I shall take it opon myself to find it.

Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-07-2004 05:18
Libraries, especially those that have existed for a long time are wonderful sources for unusual books. The librarians in them often know of things you would never find by normal searching.

As to your partner- Sometimes an interested listener will draw out things that might not have been said otherwise. Prepare to here tales of things (like antics of grandchildren) that may have no interest to you. Listen, as a friend, anyway. At worst this is the chaff that you must go through to get at the wheat. At best you will make a friend who will then abandon his funk and help you to prosper in this business.

I am reminded of a description I read of apprenticeship in a Japanese shop. To paraphrase- The master will teach you nothing- in fact he will try to hide secrets from you. If you are a worthy student you will find ways to steal the knowledge from him. I assume that at some point you would have proven your worth and the master's indifference would abate.
Bill
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-07-2004 14:14

Grasshopper :)

I like the books of John P. Stewart for down to earth metalworking technique, tool use, fabrication and distortion control. here are the names of his books.

Stewart, J.P. Welder/Fitter's Guide

Stewart, J.P. Distortion Control

Stewart, J.P. Flame Straightening Technology
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-08-2004 10:39
L,
I have the Flame Straightening book of Stewart's, how can I find the other two you mentioned? I like the one I have and I'm sure the other two will be just as helpful.
John Wright
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2004 12:26
John,

He is a Canadian so I guess thats why the books are difficult to find through normal channels.

John P. Stewart
233 Dupras Ave, Room 202 LaSalle, Quebec, Canada, H8R 3S4.
Tel. (514) 366-8410
Fax. (513) 366-6358

Distortion Control Isbn # 0-969-2845-3-5
Flame Straightening Technlogy Isbn# 0-969-2845-1-9
Welder/Fitters Training Guide Isbn# 0-969-2845-4-3
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-08-2004 13:41
Thanks Lawrence,
I'll have to see if I can locate myself a copy of the ones I don't have. The Flame Straightening Book was a gift from a freind, as he was retiring and cleaning off his shelves at work, so I have no idea where it came from originally.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-08-2004 13:38
texarc,
I think Bill has some good advise concerning your partner. I have found what he said to have worked for me in times past. Some of these "older gents" in our shop have a lot of info tucked away for recalling, if you are willing to invest the time to listen. And like Bill said, be prepared to listen to "all" of the stories to get to the ones you are particularly interested in.
Just my two cents,(Bill deserves credit for the other 98 cents worth)
John Wright
Parent - - By texarc (*) Date 03-08-2004 17:33
Thx, to all for the info ill try it out. And ill be sure to stay out of the way of flying chipping hammers, luckly that dosent happen offten lol.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-11-2004 14:57
Lawrence,

I have the Distortion Control and Flame Straightening Technology books. I didn't know about the Welder/Fitter's Guide. Thanks for the tip.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / books on shop hints and tricks