Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Setting a single wide trailer
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-16-2012 01:38
You guessed it.......Sourpuss is joining the realm of luxurious, and mobile living.........

So here in the land of gold paved streets, (Garfield County, Colorado), there is so much disdain for these trailers, an owner can't set his own mobile home anymore. I have to pay someone 1500 bucks to make this country rolls royce level.........you can guess how that makes me feel, yet there will be no showdown with the county inspector. I am stubborn, but not stupid.

What do I need to know about this little fleece job, so's I don't take it in the tail pipe? I already have a skidsteer on site, and most of the hardware, (piers, blocks, pit liner/plastic, and tie downs. I was about to commence setting this thing when the county inspector showed up. I knew right away who it was. I can smell a low self esteem a mile away.

Any of you cats done this particular job before?
Attachment: toter.bmp (225k)
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-16-2012 22:12
They won't let you do it with a simple permit?   Down here as long as it is out of city limits you can do whatever you want.   There is nothing to it....pier pads, cinder blocks and occasional wood shims....they may require anchor straps....kinda hard to do in a park off a concrete pad.   I hate it for ya that you are having to scratch start all over again man...but knowing you it will be no time at all before you are contracting out a second or third truck.  I have been looking at pulling up stakes to go to Colorado Springs....house prices there looked really reasonable.  I have been in the Denver area one time in my life and it just seemed like a nice place to live...I have had my fill of AR...and don't have any ties to have to stay here anymore.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-17-2012 01:11
It's a Colorado thing man, thanks for commiserating, it aint easy! But you're right, I scored a hell of a job putting together a bunch of silos for a baking soda plant. Cutting them all in 3 pieces to get them hauled, then about 3 solid months of re assemblt and installing them........it really won't be long at all, my brother! That's the thing about loving your job though, you can't help but plow through the mire to get to the gravy.
Parent - - By reitenger (*) Date 02-18-2012 01:42
What town in CO are you in?  I am in Westminster, but we are starting to look up in the hills around Bailey for a place.  Up there as long as you don't make any waves the county ignores you.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-18-2012 16:16
I'm in New Castle, in Garfield County.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 02-23-2012 06:31
Tommy,

The springs is a nice area.  Depends on what you want really. . . .N. Colorado is really nice as well.  Lots of lakes and mountains, outdoors stuff.  I wouldn't live anywhere else except maybe in Grand Junction,  CO.  Some of the best motorcycle riding, camping etc. in the world in my opinion and we have really mild summers and winters.  On the down side Colorado is a very tax happy state in a lot of ways it seems.  But hey I lived for 28 yrs. where there was no state tax so I'm spoilt I guess.  Lots of oilfield work in Colorado as well.  Seems like rig welders are a dime a dozen in the Greeley and Western Slope areas but like everywhere it is cyclic.
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-18-2012 04:33
If they use anything under a 72" level call BS and make them do it right. My buddy and I set a WHOLE bunch of single wides in highschool for his dad that owned a mobile home moving company. So you know it aint to damn hard to do just have to be willing to put in the work.
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-20-2012 00:26
So you have to be certified to set a trailer house? Hmmm, never heard of an agency that certifies anybody for that. Sounds like your county or city is just coming up with another tax or fee.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-22-2012 02:12
Well you hit it on the head, pardner! This county rapes hard working individuals like myself......!

I did the tear down and got the trailer ready to haul, traded the toter truck that hauled the trailer for a tank repair for the owner of the trucking company,  dodged half the "licensed" setting charge for a hitch repair for the "licensed" setter, avoided the 500 dollar electric hook up "fee", because my good friend is an electrician and got me hooked up for a benjamin, I hooked up the sewer, the gas line, the water, all the insulation, heat tape, skirting, and hauled my own road base for the pad. In other words, I did damn near everything myself, and saved all that money with sheer elbow grease, and I still have about 5 grand into the whole thing. 85% of that cash has been to the county and the state.................you see how greed can change everything, and make it to where the money for staying here is just barely worth it?

Greed is as bad here as I have ever seen it anywhere. This county has 120 million in cash reserves from the gas and oil boom, and it shows no sign of letting up for the new condition our economy is in, and the umemployment rate, or shoveling any of that cash back into the community. The county workers, the cops, the jailers, and the other state workers do not sacrifice hours or any of their bonuses, but I can't even move into a damn trailer park without a 1 inch stack of Benjamins.

I wanna puke..........
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-22-2012 04:46
Disgusting.......most companies will haul and set a single down here for less then $900.  Course tornado magnets are a dime a dozen here.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-22-2012 15:02
I just puked.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-29-2012 04:57
I'm good. Moved in and inspection is good now. I have some good friends.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 02-29-2012 03:52
dam inspector's :grin:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Setting a single wide trailer