Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding on presurized gas cylinders
- - By alisharif (*) Date 03-16-2004 12:56
Dear sirs
Can we do any welding on gas cylinder such as Co2 cylinder for joint a support to it?
material of cylinder is carbon steel
could you please tell me your reference?

best regards
A.sharif
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-16-2004 16:02
I VERY STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST DOING THIS! I don't know your location or what jurisdictions apply in your case but doing so would void any Code stamps applied to the pressure vessel and could be very dangerous. Try coming up with a mechanical support instead of welding - this would be a much safer approach!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-16-2004 17:14
I agree. Do not weld to high pressure gas bottles. That could put you at risk of injury or death. Also the people who refill the bottles would be in danger if they were to unknowingly get a bottle that had been welded. As Jon said, I would fashion a bracket or clamp that is held in place by mechanical means.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 03-16-2004 18:45
working for one of the largest gas supply companies in the world, I have to say that if you did weld on this tank, it would be considered scrap. If you are renting or leasing this tank, you would be charged with loss of use on this cylinder. If you own this tank, you would now own a piece of scrap. it is very dangerous to weld on these tanks,and your supplier would not accept it at their site for refill or exchange.
'nuff said, i think.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2004 20:22
I've seen creative ways to support tanks without welding to the tank itself. I'm sure you come up with something to fabricate without harming the tank. If you use the search function, you can find the discussion about welding on tanks.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2004 20:57
Well, I couldn't find the discussion I was thinking about
John Wright
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-17-2004 00:53
What do you want to support it to?

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By alisharif (*) Date 03-17-2004 07:54
Dear Brian
I want joined a support to bottom of cylinder for stand it.Our Co2 cylinder have a rubber support but they removed and disconected from cylinder and now I want make a metal support and I want to know that can I weld it?
Do you know any specification or standard for it?

thanks a lot
A.A.Sharif
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 03-17-2004 08:19
DO NOT weld on a cylinder !
These cylinders are often made of high strength steels and are welded according to well proven procedures and NDT tested.
Any welding can cause local embrittlement, introduce welding defects and local stresses. This can cause (from an engineer's point of view) your worst nightmare : risk of unexpected failure , known as "brittle fracture".

Look at this story with a similar problem :
In history books there's a report of the sinking of the Alexander Kieland oil platform in the 80's. One had to weld a hydrofone to one of the 5 floating supports of the platform. No one was thinking about any welding procedure. They just welded it (it was only a fillet weld of a few inches long). This caused local stresses, resulting in brittle and unexpected fracture. The floating support filled with water, the platform was out of balance and sunk within a few hours. Almost everyone died on the platform. Conclusion : do not weld before thinking first. even if it is for a "stupid" supporting structure !!! If you want to learn more about this case : read the book "Engineering catastrophes" from mr. Lancaster

Try to make a support and attach it to the cylinder with pipe clamps or any other clamping device.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-17-2004 12:09
High pressure Gas cylinders are hot spun not welded.

Welding, as you have already been informed would be a bad choice.

Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-17-2004 13:51
Buy a cylinder cart.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-17-2004 15:31
When a cylinder needs to be rigidly attached to something, a clamp, such as a pipe clamp is commonly used.
Parent - By chall (***) Date 03-17-2004 16:11
If the cylinder is mounted/braced against a work table that is used for welding, make sure to isolate the bottle from the table with a heavy duty piece of rubber. Some welders toss their stinger or tig rig when finished with whatever they are welding on. If it strikes a gas bottle that isn't isolated from the table (ie - an electric path exists through the bottle into the table), it may arc on the bottle. It may cause an explosion.

Charles Hall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding on presurized gas cylinders