Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My Meeting with the KY DOT Results.
- - By Jssec (**) Date 02-29-2012 18:25
After driving a F350 and hauling a welder for 40+ years in numerous states I got pulled over by KY State Police Division of Vehicle Enforcement.
I was hauling my welder set up and pulling an empty trailer as a Private Carrier.

Even though the truck is owned and licensed to me personally I must have the following.

1. A Valid Medical Card. Get a blank from the same place you get your drivers license.
2. U.S. DOT Number. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm
3. Name and DOT # on each side of the truck in 2" block letters.
4. Annual vehicle inspection.
5. License plate on vehicle to cover weight of your entire rig - trailer and all if you pull one. I Have 22K.
6. Trip Log Book for any trip I make over 100 mile one way as the crow flies.
7. Unified Carrier Registration. http://www.ucr.in.gov/

Not one question was asked about any of the gases (Acetylene, Oxygen, CO2, 75/25 Mix, gasoline or propane) that I carry in various tanks or how they were secured.
If you are 26K and over total weight or GVW the ball game completely changes.
Other than a regular doctor visit the only thing that cost was the Unified Carrier Registration $76.00
Any thing besides an RV over #10000 GVW require the items above.
Does not make any difference what your total weight is its taken from the GVW of your truck and trailer ID Tag. My Truck 10K and trailer 10K.
I received a Citation for not having a DOT or Medical Card. Court cost and all $194.00
Told that all this went into effect Jan 1 2012.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-29-2012 20:54
sounds like them politicians aren't getting laid, and need to screw some more people!
Parent - By ESC300 (**) Date 03-01-2012 05:31
They want to make it hard as they can for working people!Here where I live,business license(city)went to double that of what is was last year-350.00 for first 100 thousand+75.00 for each classification of work to be licensed for.Some say its because of the tornado that came through,i dont think i caused that to happen.
- - By SMTatham (**) Date 02-29-2012 19:27
Is your truck registered in KY or were you passing through?

Sorry, just checked your profile and answered my own question.  These regs................oh my gaaaawd just get worse and worse.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 02-29-2012 20:41
Live and Registered in KY.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 02-29-2012 23:26
Move to Texas !!
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 02-29-2012 23:29 Edited 02-29-2012 23:40
Its coming your way its Federal. The

TSA Is Coming To a Highway Near You

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/02/29/the-tsa-is-coming-to-a-highway-near-you/
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-01-2012 00:00
I'm just south of you in Tennessee and rarely see DOT numbers on anything around here. But, I've been wanting to get a DOT regardless, at least this way they have no reason to pull me over...unless I do something stupid. Think I'll be getting ahold of the ding dongs at DOT again and schedule an appointment with the doc and call it a well check up for insurance!
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 03-01-2012 00:11
Texas is home now; just wish I could spend some TIME there LOL
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-01-2012 00:39
Where did you buy at ? You in lindale ?
Parent - - By SMTatham (**) Date 03-01-2012 02:14
Renting in Lindale, bought in Mineola.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-01-2012 10:47
You are only 12 miles from me. When you gonna be there ?
Parent - - By lucky1 (**) Date 03-01-2012 21:22
we have more dot troubles in tx than anywhere
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-02-2012 00:14
We do ?
Parent - - By lucky1 (**) Date 03-07-2012 16:06
yup. nm plates but on the border of tx. those "super make up there own laws j a no good sob sun of a gun dot cops:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:" just love to see one of our PICKUPS coming down the road.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-07-2012 16:41
NM Plates ! That explains it !
- - By 63 Max (***) Date 03-01-2012 01:12
A lot of the rig welders up here in Ohio are going to single wheel 2500 trucks. Somewhere they have heard the DOT will not bother those trucks. I just purchased a Cap with no windows for my dually to hide the welder and bottles, plus the thieves will have a harder time getting my leads, lol
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 03-01-2012 02:31
It was not about the welders as I have 2 he never took a second look at them.
It was all about Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) on the little white drivers door tag and the VIN ID tag GVW on the trailer.
GVW on the door tag is 13000 lbs so I'm over the 10000 lb limit with no trailer.
Parent - - By 63 Max (***) Date 03-01-2012 03:13
So do you think he would of pulled you over if you didn't have the welder in your truck.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 03-01-2012 12:27
Yes
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-01-2012 06:23
THE CHP recently figured out that all these fancy F-450 pickups have a GVW of over 10K.    My EX got pulled over and hassled in her Horse hauler pickup with no trailer because it was an F-450 factory pickup.      She now has to run a CA# and carry a medical card for her personal Pickup truck.
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 03-01-2012 13:22
I'm not positive about this fella's BUT I know a few guys who have gotten out of the hotshot business in the last year because of the coming regs.  i.e. this ********.  The big trucking companies who pay **** money to people and have what is probably still one of the most unregulated industries in the country hired a bunch of lobby lawyers cuz they were losing money to a bunch of little guys who were driving their azzes off without having to take breaks or run a log book.  Never mind the fact that to make any money any trucker worth hiring know you keep two books.  . . . .always.  The one you run (for your acct.) and the one you "cook" for the guys in the bubble gum machines (cops).  I quit the road years ago and I haven't looked back.  I've still got the license tho.  And I do miss it at times,  but that's where this is coming from in my opinion.  Just my .02.  Take it for what it's worth.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 03-01-2012 15:06
The funny part of the whole thing was the Medical Card as I was refueling
at the Flying J and watching over the road trucks going in to pay for their fuel
the majority of them would die of a heart attack if they were made to run to the cashier from their truck.
I'm sure its like everything else if you have the right contact and some cash you can get anything you want.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-01-2012 21:04
Jsse,   This is just the start, you also have to join a consortium if you want to stay LEGAL, have a log book, pay your DOT fee every year(to fund DOT enforcement dept.) Also coming soon NO MEDICAL CARD, have to go to a approved center for medical check so they'll have  you logged in a NATION WIDE SYSTEM. Brother got his notice about this when his licence renews. Complained  about this about 2 yrs. ago. Regiestered for DOT # in PA. and had to go thru a DOT audit just to keep #.  They made me come into a local hotel conference center, asked a million questions then sent me a letter on defictiencies I had to fix to keep # permanently:yell:
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-02-2012 03:53
Pretty soon You will all be running riglets, just to avoid the BS.
Parent - By jbndt (**) Date 03-02-2012 17:04
Wow ...

Sure Glad I moved to PA ...

Cheers,
jb
Parent - - By jbndt (**) Date 03-02-2012 17:03
Only TWO log books????  :twisted:

Cheers,
jb
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-03-2012 07:43
Did a job building a railroad fueling station many years back. What this gig taught me was to carry a good insurance policy(S) and just leave everything on a trailer on the jobsite. Unless you are chasing the line down the ROW, there are few projects where you truly need to be so mobile as to have the truck mounted rig.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-03-2012 07:54
If you can juggle more than 2 log books, then you are too smart to be a solo trucker!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 03-03-2012 13:35
Hey cool I got little stars where I typed words. . . . :twisted:when did that start??  Haven't been on here for a while LOL.  Didn't we used to be allowed to??  Yikes!!  My apologies to the admin.  Can we still cuss on the off topic??   LOL.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2012 13:46
The filter was added a couple years back.
- By Dualie (***) Date 03-03-2012 23:31
I knew a guy that had a lane from PA to San Fransisco.   His wife also had a CDL but stayed home with the kids, he would run 4 loose leaf log books to keep ahead of the law.  If he ever got stopped and hassled he "just dropped my wife off at the airport in that last town so she could go home and be with the children"   worked 90% of the time.   He Ran hard and made decent money.

Just saying for every inch the goverment cracks down on trucking there will be a path around it.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / My Meeting with the KY DOT Results.