Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining Threaded Lead Pipe to Stainless
- - By fineorl Date 03-17-2004 20:32
Can anyone give tips on this subject? Thanks.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-17-2004 21:34
Would this be a soldered or brazed joint?
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 12:00
Maybe I'm missing the question. Is the word "Lead"; as you lead someone down a path, or is it the relatively soft, dense, metallic material used in car batteries?
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-17-2004 23:09
I don't know if lead can be joined to stainless, I'm thinking it can't at least not with hot processes. The melting points are WAY different. And lead fumes are another issue. I would suggest a mechanically fastened fitting of some kind.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 03-18-2004 01:05
I am somewhat confused about the intended joint design.
The pipe is threaded, it's soft lead.(Its soft even when hard) It can be treaded into a stailness fitting, adapter or bung- welded, brazed, or otherwise affixed to the stainless. Otherwise a brass, bronze, copper or other adapter could be similarly afixed to the stainless and the lead soldered to it. I'm not aware of a specific flux permitting lead alloys to wet stainless, however if a Sn flash were to be applied in some way (electroless?) it should be feasable, no? I would also look into the properties of various silver-bearing lead solders. I suspect a solder can be selected which would permit direct bond to the stainless without having to resort to a silver-solder interface between the stainless and the solder.
With Pb the process, if hot, will certainly be defined as a solder, no?

regards
d
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-18-2004 14:56
Actually I missed the word "threaded" in my first read. I was focussing on John's post about welding.
Threading could give problems in that the lead is so soft that the lead pipe could "twist-up" and have to be cut back some more. But I would still try it, using a recommended pipe dope or even some liquid detergent as a lubricant.
Is the application for a household drain system? There are compression type fittings sold for that purpose.

Chet
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 16:01
Chet,
Did I "lead" you down the path?
John Wright :)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-18-2004 17:11
It wouldn't have happened if I had gotten the "lead" out and fully read the post.
Actually, this is getting bad. I think I'll stop here.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 17:13
:)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining Threaded Lead Pipe to Stainless