Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / LEARN - Basic MIG Welding
- - By crucible (*) Date 02-24-2004 22:46
Metal Inert Gas welding (aka wire-feed) falls in between Arc and TIG in the welding spectrum. Quieter and cleaner than Arc MIG welding is typically used in production fabrication such as furniture making, lighting construction, and auto restoration. You'll learn the basics, as well as plasma cutting and other fabrication processes. Knowledge of Arc welding is handy but beginners are welcome.

Class begins: Sunday March 29th.

For further information visit: http://www.thecrucible.org
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 02-24-2004 23:39
I usually try not to harp on people for using incorrect terminology on this bulletin board, but since you are offering an education class, I thought I'd point out that both TIG (Gas tungsten arc welding, or GTAW according to AWS) and MIG (Gas metal arc welding, or GMAW) are both arc welding processes. If you are referring to "arc welding" as in stick (Sheilded metal arc welding, or SMAW), please at least refer to it as stick welding so the students in your class know what's-what when they are done.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-25-2004 04:06
Hi GRoberts!
I have to agree with you wholeheartedly!
Another sentence that struck me as being rather odd is where the original post writes: " Quieter and cleaner than arc MIG (GMAW) welding is typically used in production fabrication such as furniture making, lighting,construction and auto restoration." Now I do'nt know about anyone else but, I read before this sentence that they are offering a MIG (GMAW) welding class! I wonder what the author of this post was trying to explain with the first six or seven words of the above quoted sentence???

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-25-2004 11:51
Just another note to add to what GRoberts has already offered, "Inert Gas" welding can refer to both TIG and MIG processes(note the "IG" in the names). Also the term was used "wire feed" and that can refer to several processes like SAW, FCAW and GMAW and in some cases GTAW.
Please don't take these comments as a slam, we are just trying to help further the knowledge of welding.
John Wright
Parent - - By crucible (*) Date 03-17-2004 23:18
I'm sorry, you are right. I mistaken left out a bit of important info from the copy. Feel free to visist our website at www.thecrucible.org for correct information under our class listing.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-18-2004 06:13
Hi Crucible!
I'm glad that you changed the info in your class listing from what was on your previous post.
Like JW mentioned, we were'nt trying to "Slam" you. We were just trying to make you aware of the mistake and to help you further the knowledge of welding with the appropriate info.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / LEARN - Basic MIG Welding