Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Stars
- - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-11-2012 07:25 Edited 03-11-2012 13:44
Can someone explain how this 'star' 'Diamond' rating system works?
Thanxs
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-11-2012 14:48
Your diamonds depend on the volume of your posts. The more posts you have, the more diamonds you will get.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-11-2012 14:58 Edited 03-11-2012 15:05
The more posts or replies you make, the greater your number of stars.  There is no importance given to the technical content or the educational value of your reply.  Some years ago, several forum members, including some who are still active, ran up their star count by posting response after response just saying nothing.  That way they raised their number of stars.

I was tired of reading the clutter caused by this 'Build up our numbers" game, and I asked Ross or John Wright to give some of the "Offenders" my stars just so they would stop.  I had to use an air card, and it was using up my Mega-Bytes just downloading the crapola, in order to get to relevant posts.  Well, that could not be done.  There was some talk of getting rid of the stars altogether. 

There is a number value to the star count, but I am not sure what it is.  It used to be published here, but I could not find it just a few minutes ago.  As I remember, you get your first star after just 15 posts.  I think you get the six stars after 1500 posts, but don't hold me to any numbers, as I am personally not in favor of the star system related to the number of posts.

SO people like Al Moore or Henry, Professor Crisi, QC Robert, Metrinka, and many others, who  have given many substantial, useful and erudite replies get the same number of stars as a group of posters who say "HI"  and "Hi back". 

My advice--- Just stick to what you know or want to know, and responses to items you are really interested in, and do not worry about the "Star Number" .
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 03-12-2012 03:43
Someday instead of stars we need some other symbols too.  Like maybe little peck*****ds for all the posts some make that makes everyone think you are a peck*****d.  Just sayin' is all.  Or maybe some little piles of BS. . . .LOL.  I must be sleep deprived. . . . .3 more days and wake up and I am flying back to the real world.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-12-2012 10:42
Vagabond

"...3 more days and wake up and I am flying back to the real world."  Boy  the last time I heard that line was in Viet Nam!  Do they still use the term "Freedom Bird"?
Parent - - By vagabond (***) Date 03-13-2012 10:15 Edited 03-13-2012 10:52
I have heard "freedom bird" on the North Slope of Alaska for years. Had no idea it was a carry over from the Viet Nam era.  Makes sense though. . . Pretty cool.  Thanks for the history lesson.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-14-2012 17:31
Vagabond, what do you do on the slope? Have you and I talked about alaska before?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-14-2012 02:51
Still using the term "Freedom Bird" in AfgannyLand.
I always thought it was military slang.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-12-2012 16:25
Just for the record, they were originally 'Diamonds' and you got them for the number of posts and another set for how other forum members rated your posts.  Thankfully they eliminated the ratings as they were getting extremely abused and weren't worth having. 

While you can argue the VALUE of the stars I personally like having them to show who our most regular contributors are.  I know what Joe means that it does not show you how wise, knowledgable, correct, kind or any other attribute the posts are, just how many.

I believe you get the first one at about 10 posts and build up to four by around 1000 posts.  After that it takes longer to gain more.  I thought it was about 2-3000 before you get your 5th one.  I know I have 4 and am under 1500 posts but over 1000. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 03-14-2012 01:23
Ya know using a pile of BS on some messages would work out nicely. :)
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Stars