Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor track torch
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 03-14-2012 00:16
I want to get a track torch...!!  I like the Victor tractor and track... What are your thoughts..??  Are there any better brands out there..??

I wouldnt mind getting a used Victor but they are hard to find..!!  I want to get the tractor with the swivel front wheels so it will do more than just cut a straight line...!!

Thanks
  RC
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 03-14-2012 00:32
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-14-2012 00:33
Get a KIOKE BEETLE. It is MUCH easier to store and works just as good if not better. PLUS it's about half the price of a Victor. Whichever you decide. Make SURE you get an extra track. You will regret it if you don't. It makes cutting long plate much easier. all you have to do is keep jumping tracks one in front of the other as opposed to stopping the torch, and resetting you track
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-14-2012 01:13
I cannot understand this!?!?!? Two weeks in a row, I find I am in agreement with cactus on something.   I figured there was something out-of-wack in the universe.  I thought it was an omen the first time!  I don't understand why I didn't win the Lottery the first time?!?!?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2012 01:46
:confused:  :lol:  :roll:  :wink:

It was bound to happen some time...BUT TWICE IN A SHORT TIME???

I agree, something is amiss.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 03-14-2012 01:48
Maybe your getting Wiser ? :twisted:
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 03-14-2012 12:24
If you are ripping sheet steel check this out. I have one and it will rip a 3/8" sheet of steel plate like its 3/4" plywood. Says it will cut 1" plate but have not tried it but I did saw two 3/8" plates at the same time for a pair of stair stringers. Will also saw pipe, tube etc. http://www.amazon.com/MK-Morse-CSM9MB-Cutting-Circular/dp/B000II0LGM/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1331727644&sr=1-7
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-14-2012 02:52
Hello RC, I would NOT go with the victor tractor: they are WAY overpriced compared to the others, their design, at least the ones that I have seen is sub-par to many of the others (the ones that I have seen have a belt drive, shieve activated speed change aparatus that does not transition smoothly from one speed to the next). They are supposed to be able to start from a crawl and move up to an adequate travel speed, yet all of the ones that I have been around and used do not do so smoothly or very well.
     Now if you are speaking of the "old school victors", these are the ones that are essentially identical to the Heath units, that is a bird of a different color. They are very decent tractors and work very well. Airco has a number of older tractor machines that are also very reliable, Linde made a number of older units that were very durable, long-lasting, and worked well. I believe all of these units utilized potentiometers and electronic circuitry to control travel speeds and had clutch systems that were positive and smooth as needed. They also had toggle switches to select travel direction and didn't use any belts, or if they did, they were cog belts that provided a positive drive. This group that I just spoke of can generally be found on many Craigslists in various locations for reasonable money. A lot of them could be used with generic type tracks and some of them would run on a piece of upside down angle iron. One that I didn't mention, WATTS is one of the machines that seems to come to mind that will run on the inverted angle iron.
     If you are interested in new, I would go with the others and recommend the Koike's, they are terrific little machines, lightweight, very durable and work very well as well as much less expensive than many others. If you are concerned about the Koike name, I believe when you check on their history you will find that they have been around at least 50 years or more. Not completely positive about my last statement but at least reasonably close. Ultimately, it will likely boil down to what you think of the particular machine that you choose and whether you feel justified in paying the asking price. Consider weight, parts availability, ease of operation, whether it is AC/DC capable(you might want to run it off of an SA200 or something similar without AC power). Good luck on your choice and let us hear about it when you have made the deal. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-14-2012 03:09 Edited 03-14-2012 03:36
I believe the Airco Radiagraph used a centrifugal governor to pulse the power to the motor, much the same way a Kitchen Aid or Sunbeam stand mixer does [or at least did in the old days]. Koike Aronson made these last, but has discontinued them.

I have a REALLY old National Cylinder Gas tractor that just uses a rheostat, nothing to maintain constant speed under varying load.
This is the only one of these I have ever seen, built like a tank, but inferior speed control technology.

The video shows the mechanical speed control on the Beetle. This is an AC only machine due to the motor type.
http://www.koike.com/portable-solutions/portable-cutting-machine-carriage-ik-12-beetle.aspx
How to use IK-12 Beetle Video
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-14-2012 04:07
Thanks Dave, I have used and owned a number of different brands and styles of radiographs, yet I certainly haven't had the ability to call out specifically how their drive systems have operated or been set-up. I do know that of all of them that the "newer" Victor type that I last used, was definitely not one that I would recommend to anyone, even though I am an overall fan of Victor products as a whole. I wish that I could remember the particular model number but I can't, I do believe that the price of the thing was around 2900.00 retail though. Way too much in my estimation. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 03-14-2012 20:55
Thank you Dave, Cactus and the rest of you for posting..!!  A guy I am working with has an old Victor tractor.. It works really well but if this Koike is just as good and cheeper....  I am sold..

If I stay in this yard I will be cutting anything from 1/8 plate to 3inch plate...

Im am going to check it out..!!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 03-14-2012 22:33
RC, I do a lot of work with 10 and 12 gauge sheet steel. In my opinion for anything 1/8"(10g) and under it is faster with a steel saw. http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk/us/evolution_evo230x.html    here is a link to what I have but there are others out there as well.
perfect cut, NO WARPAGE, no second op prep at all, ready to weld etc. I have had mine for a couple years now and have had the first blade sharpened only once. if you take care of the blade it will last a good long time on the thin sheet. It will also cut thick steel. Personally I have only cut up to 1/2" but it did just as an amazing job as with the sheet.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-15-2012 03:44
for sheet and plate you would be money ahead to befriend someone thats sort of local that has a shear.     Much faster and better cuts in 1/10th the time it takes to setup the track burner. 

for 3/8" or better the track burner cooks though.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 03-15-2012 22:11
We are all contract welders in this yard and we need to cut everythig there on the job... I want to get a saw but....

When they bring in a sheet 10X40ft 2in thick A36 and sometimes AR400 and you have to cut out a bunch of shapes...  A saw wont do me much good... Then sometimes we have to cut out 6in to 24in round holes in that 2in plate..

I do want a saw but I need a track torch..!!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2012 02:03
I have an Evolution Rage saw. They say the optimum sheet steel thickness is 1/4".  I have used it on 1/4" and it does work well. A friend was using an Evolution saw, but I think it was a larger and more heavy duty model than the Rage to cut plate 1" and thicker, but blade life isn't good on thick stuff.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-16-2012 03:02
Hello RC, I realize that you are probably already aware of this, yet I figured that others might not be, so this could help someone else even if it doesn't in your case. Many track burners have a provision for attaching them to a rod and that rod then being attached to a magnet with a rotary connection or a pin that can be tacked on at the center of a planned circular burnout so that the rod will rotate around the pin and circles can be cut out. The 6" hole might be a little challenging, but the larger circles can certainly be addressed rather easily. A little off-subject here, yet you might wish to take a look at a rather unique tool that has been out there for a number of years. I was able to pick up one of these used for our welding program recently. I had used one probably around 30 years ago and hadn't seen another almost as many years. Actually a pretty slick little machine. Best regards, Allan

http://www.koike.com/PDF/handyautoplus.pdf
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2012 03:58
Allan & others, do You have much experience with the Handy Auto ? I have one, but have not [yet] built the equipment I was expecting to use it for. I think it is limited to 2" thickness, but thicker than that I want to be farther away from the action anyway.

Any information appreciated.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-16-2012 04:30
Dave, when I originally used this unit it was on much thinner materials, probably about 3/4" max. as I recall. I do hear where you are coming from, with 2" material in particular any piercing that you might try to do could get very interesting, hadn't really considered that. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2012 05:17
Thanks. When You get around to using it, let Me know what You find.

I have acetylene tips that will fit it, just havn't played with it yet. The old cutting tractor I mentioned runs, but I need to make some track for it. The Handy Auto is ready to use, figured I would run it along a piece of angle or flat stock for sraight cuts. I have all the bits & pieces for angle cuts & holes.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 03-16-2012 15:31
Hello;
I have used an old Victor Track burner to cut out base plates for jib cranes. We would center punch the center; then using an arm off the track burner, locate the tractor and let her burn. Very little clean up. Sometimes up to one inch plate.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - By mike wiebe 3 (*) Date 03-16-2012 21:03
Worked in a shop and needed to cut an 8" circle in 6" plate. Victor track burner would not cut that tight of circle so made a temp. stand for track burner over our weld positioner and cut away letting positioner turn plate
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 03-17-2012 14:22 Edited 03-17-2012 14:24
rcwelding

If you want to spend a little more money.

If you want one of the most versatile track torches made.

You will do good purchasing a Bug-o system.

http://www.bugo.com/products.html

I have used Victor and there is nothing wrong with Koike,(my second choice), but my first choice is Bug-O.

One it can cut uphill.

Second when using Victor, Airco, or Koike it is not uncommon for mill scale to flake up and get on the track causing the torch to lurch and not leave as smooth a cut as the Bug-O.

This extra expense is a good investment if you are needing a track torch in your line of work.

But since no one mentioned the Bug-O, I thought I would just throw my ΒΆΒΆ's in.

Good Luck

Marshall
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Victor track torch