Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help with the term (overlaying?)
- - By Jack8rkin (*) Date 03-16-2012 05:15
Hello everyone!

Please help me with selecting a correct term for a welding process.
I looked it up in the dictionalry and it suggests several terms for translation from Russian:

1. welding, pad weld
2. facing, surfacing, overlaying
3. surface building-up, building-up, build-up, surface cladding, fused deposition, deposition, facing, overlaying

Basically, what I'm speaking about is a process of melting a welding rod/wire such that the molten metal covers the surface of the base metal to make the surface  harder, corrosion resistant or for some other purposes. The process is not intended to make a welded joint, rather it is for forming an overlaying surface on the base metal.

Please tell me what you usually use in the U.S. as the term for such process.
Thank you.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2012 05:25
Hard facing, overlaying and surface cladding come to mind in refrence to hard or corosion resistant deposits.
If the deposit is the same as the base metal, build up or pad welding would be more apropriate.

These may not be the most official words, if not I am sure others will respond.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 03-16-2012 13:38
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2012 14:12 Edited 03-18-2012 15:58
The guys have covered it pretty well, but maybe one more suggestion I didn't see,

When working in the NW US in logging industry we had to overlay the surface of the log stacker forks and other applications with Stoody or other "Hard Surfacing" electrodes to make them more resistant to abrasive action of the logs sliding along the forks on T1 steel.  It is amazing how fast wood will wear down steel in such an application.  But keep them regularly Hard Surfaced and they last a lot longer.  Same for the bottom rubbing along the ground no matter what the surface, asphalt, concrete, rock, dirt, etc.

Also used this on plow shears, augers, and other abrasive applications.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Jack8rkin (*) Date 03-16-2012 16:29
Thank you guys! That helps a lot!
By the way if translated from Russian, the term would look like a noun with the meaning "(something) molten upon (something)".
So, it should be something like "a layer molten upon" or "a layer molten from above" or simply "наплавка".
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 03-16-2012 18:28
I for one would transmute "наплавка" most rather into one general term; i.e., "overlay welding".

However, good points from Dave Boyer and welderbrent, since being more specific.
Parent - - By Jack8rkin (*) Date 03-17-2012 04:00 Edited 03-21-2012 15:11
I just tried to be sort of linguistic here :lol:

Well, in English there are several words used for specific types of this process, as I realised.
In Russian, it's "наплавка" in all possible cases. You have to add a descriptive word to the word "наплавка" to denote a specific type.
This is why it causes confusion in translation. One has to choose one English word to translate two or more Russian words standing for the same term.
Or sometimes it's just "наплавка". What would you choose in that case. A general word "overlaying"? OR maybe "surfacing"?
Usually context is of some help, but sometimes it's just a drawing and an inscription in that drawing.
And you are staring at it and thinking what to choose.
Sooner or later you shoot and sometimes it's a bull's eye!

One more confusion arises when it's a "surface of surfacing". You use the word "surfacing" all through the text and then you encounter the "surfacing surface"... In Russian it sounds fine (no tautology), but in English it sucks...:cry:

Anyway thank you! Now it all has become much clearer to me.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 03-17-2012 07:33
Jack8rkin,

that actually sounds complicated.

Very well explained though!

Thank you.
Parent - By Jack8rkin (*) Date 03-19-2012 10:58
Thank you.
Parent - - By Barbaros (*) Date 03-17-2012 18:04
We usually call that "cladding"
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-18-2012 12:44 Edited 03-18-2012 12:50
The AWS term you are looking for is Surfacing. The following is taken from AWS A3.0-2001 terms and definitions. As you can see it is a broad term that includes metal deposited for the purpose of improved corrosion resistance, abrasion resistance, reclaiming worn surfaces, improved metallurgical compatibility, reducing the root opening between two members, etc.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jack8rkin (*) Date 03-21-2012 15:08
Good! Thank you. Surfacing is the overall term as I see.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help with the term (overlaying?)