Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Employee Experience so far
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-24-2012 02:53
Well, have had my welder for three weeks now. We've been knocking this stuff out and this week he had a friend come out that wanted to see how and what we were doing. He said he wouldn't mind working with us to finish the job so he can get experience with this type of work. After having him watch us most of the day I hired him at the end of the day. It's good that I did, we pretty much have done everything on our own in the mechanical this week. I gotta say when you find good, hard working guys it's amazing what you can do! We are all about the same age so same generation with same work ethics.

The payroll thing, well, pretty painless. Fill out time cards all week, call the accountant then he sends me an email. I write the check and all done. End of the month I get an invoice for what I need to pay ol' Uncle Sam. When this job is done thought will have to let them go. I live to far from them to keep them on and then it's back to the old handrail stuff for a few a bit until this other stuff comes together. I wish I had enough work to keep them on and take care of them.

Time will tell
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-24-2012 03:08
a little here a little there and pretty soon you will be running that cell phone and pencil full time!
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-24-2012 04:09 Edited 03-24-2012 04:13
The thing i hate most about being an "employer" is having to lay off good hands cuz i don't have any work for them.    For a couple of reasons, first and foremost being greed.  Hate knowing that i don't have as much work as i like to and i have to send a solid money earner/producer down the road to make money for another contractor.   

Second knowing that i had to let a stand up man with skills and integrity, possibly with a family go home and tell the wife that he was laid off.

One of the toughest things that i have to do as a business owner.

And one of the best things i ever did was sign on with a payroll service.   I LITERALLY spend 8 min a week doing payroll, On Friday morning i have them total up their hours before they hand in the time cards,  the payroll lady calls usually around 2 pm I give her the hours for each man and a courier delivers the checks all filled out mid day Monday  i sign them and hand them out Monday at end of the day.   all the taxes, deductions everything are done for me.    for $8 a man per month its WELL worth it.
Parent - By john housel (*) Date 03-24-2012 04:24
Seems like a heck of a deal, 8 bucks a man per month. Do you know if that rate is fairly standard? Just curious about that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Employee Experience so far