Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Interesting job offer today
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-24-2012 02:44
I got a phone call today, oddly enough it was automated. Starts out by saying "Jo Jo Construction" in yayaville is looking for pipe welders. Carbon steel pipe and as it continues it says the pay is $25.60 per hour with a $135 per week perdiem....then I hung up.

Now, the single hand rate is pretty good I think, for around here that's great. The $135/week perdiem though made me say, "what?" and chuckle then hit the end button.

After that I was offered to build or line a room with copper. Everything steel(pipe, sprinkler, everything) needed to be wrapped and 100% welded with copper. Seems an MRI machine will be going in there and the steel will mess with the machine and patients apparently. They are saying that they will be having an engineer....engineer the room and spec everything out. Gonna have to make sure that the spec out weld, filler on this one. Don't want any open or loose ends when it comes to patients sueing!!

Anybody ever done anything remotely close to this? Seems as this was an after thought as one guy was asking what they were going to do about the rebar in the concrete floor and other things. The guy estimated a million dollar room, with all the copper and time to custom wrap everything I tend to believe that amazing number!! All the walls, ceiling(due to bar joists, wind brace) this would be an awesome job and worth living in a hotel room for another few months!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-24-2012 03:06
get your tig hand ready!!!   Awesome.  Sounds like a fun job and probably a $$$$$maker.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 03-24-2012 03:14
I agree with Tommy, sounds like a dam cool gig, if you are able take a bunch of pictures I'd really like to see this.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-24-2012 04:10
Make sure they specify deoxidized copper, NOT tough pitch copper.

Al
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-24-2012 11:58
That sounds like a cool one.
How do you intend to weld it?
I'd be tempted to go with an old school soldering iron.

Tim
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-24-2012 13:35
We do that a lot on control towers in airports and certain govt facilities making them EMP proof. We tig very little of it. Most of it is done with wire feeders. If this group knows what they are doing, they will make you qualify for it. They should come back behind you and run a transmitter inside the room to check if any signal is getting out. A lot more to it than just welding up the seems. Good luck.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-24-2012 18:12
Mig welding?  that must be kinda different.  What kind of filler do you use?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-24-2012 14:18
I don't think wrapping the steel with copper is going to help them prevent issues with the MRI machine.  It is still going to exert force on the steel through the copper and pull it towards the machine.  They may be in for a rude realization after the engineer looks at it.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-24-2012 19:44 Edited 03-24-2012 19:48
They may be wrapping the room to prevent damage to electronics and computers out side the room.I doubt an MRI machine will create enough pull to affect structural integrity.
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 03-24-2012 22:57
If it can pull a oxygen tank across a room it may pull the structure down.
If you read down further at another hospital it took officers gun and fire a shot.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92745&page=1#.T25Q0dnmXh8

A 6-year-old boy died after undergoing an MRI exam at a New York-area hospital when the machine's powerful magnetic field jerked a metal oxygen tank across the room, crushing the child's head.

The force of the device's 10-ton magnet is about 30,000 times as powerful as Earth's magnetic field, and 200 times stronger than a common refrigerator magnet.

The canister fractured the skull and injured the brain of the young patient, Michael Colombini, of Croton-On-Hudson, N.Y., during the procedure Friday. He died of the injuries on Sunday, the hospital said.

The routine imaging procedure was performed after Colombini underwent surgery for a benign brain tumor last week. Westchester Medical Center officials said he was under sedation at the time of the deadly accident.

Hospital Takes ‘Full Responsibility’

"The medical center assumes full responsibility for the accident. Our sorrow is immeasurable and our prayers and our thoughts are with the child's family," the hospital's president and CEO, Edward Stolzenberg, said in a statement.

The medical center, which is located 15 miles north of New York City in Valhalla, reported the accident as required, and the state health department sent investigators to the scene Monday. The hospital said it was conducting its own inquiry as well.

A medical center spokeswoman would not say who brought the canister into the room.

"He was a delightful 6-year-old boy," remembered Lois Gimple Shaukat, a neighbor of the family. "He, you know, had … big eyes and a bright smile."

Procedure Considered Safe and Effective

"These tend to be extremely safe machines if used properly," said Dr. Emanuel Kanal, the director of magnetic resonance services in the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's Department of Radiology, and a widely recognized expert on MRI safety.

He estimates between 8 million and 10 million MRI procedures are performed in the United States each year, the vast majority without complications.

Nevertheless, in the years since the device first went into widespread use, there have been "hundreds or thousands" of incidents where objects became magnetized and attracted to MRI machines, he notes. The items have included cigarette lighters, paper clips, clipboards, and similar objects.

Last year, an MRI scan at a Rochester, N.Y., hospital pulled a gun out of a police officer's hand and discharged a shot.

"But [such incidents] are still the extreme minority," and serious injury from items magnetized by MRIs is even rarer, he said.

Kanal stressed that technicians are typically extremely well-trained and careful to screen for potentially dangerous items.

Personnel Trained to Look Out for Problem Objects

"It is unusual for any accident to happen around an MRI because MRI personnel are generally very trained … well trained to look out for such metal objects," agrees Denise Leslie, a private radiologist.

MRI machines have markings around them indicating the dangerous magnetic field, she explained.

The devices are generally considered extremely safe, but some people, such as those with pacemakers, generally cannot be scanned. The intense magnetic field can interfere with the function of certain electronic devices, and will easily erase credit card strips.

Tooth fillings and orthopedic implants are generally not problematic, Kanal said, but there are rare exceptions, such as temporary magnetic root caps.

The National Institutes of Health has stressed the danger of leaving objects that can be magnetized near the machine.

"The most important known risk is the projectile effect, which involves the forceful attraction of ferromagnetic objects to the magnet," the NIH concluded after a conference studying the devices in 1987.

Magnetic resonance imaging uses electromagnetic waves to produce highly detailed 3-dimensional images of the body. The device was invented in the early 1970s and first used on humans in 1977.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-24-2012 21:37
The guy on the job said he did one before and it had walls 2-3 feet thick with concrete or something. They've told me that the room will have to be engineered and I planned on telling them that the engineer needs to spec out the welding as they want it so I can go qualify. Think this would be neat as heck!!
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-25-2012 12:34
Cumminsguy71:

Since you can't block a magnetic field, thickness is only an issue as far as having enough to redirect it harmlessly. The copper or nickel steel or whatever is being used, directs the field harmlessly back to the other pole, so you only need enough thickness to do this without becoming saturated by the strength of the field. I don't know why thick walls would be necessary, unless otherwise structurally required. Should be an interesting job, so keep us posted!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-25-2012 13:45
I might be thinking about a different machine that this guy was talking about, might have been an x-ray of some sort. He said it was in a Cancer hospital.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-25-2012 16:25
That's probably it, since this might be radiation, rather than magnetic, shielding.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-26-2012 02:01
MRI is used at times to show tumors, a cancer hospital will have one. Of course they have x-ray, CT and radiation treatment machines as well.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 03-24-2012 04:18
copper = MONEY.  pure and simple.         personally never heard of any such thing but it sounds like a great gig!     Makes me wounder if aluminum couldn't do the same job?

I second the deoxidized copper statement,
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 03-24-2012 18:32
I thought they just lined the room, and put a few little sleeves on penetrations like sprinklers, etc.
http://www.mri-shielding.com/
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-24-2012 21:46 Edited 03-25-2012 16:26
Apparently they do use aluminum and also nickel steel ,as well as prefabbed wood copper-clad, and soldering is used as process too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Interesting job offer today