Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Coiled cable and pipe section???
- - By PaulyZ (*) Date 03-23-2004 01:57
While attempting to uncoil the mess of cable behind a TIG machine I noticed a length of the main power supply cable wound and zip tied around a section of pipe.

Since this was obviously done for a reason I have been trying to figure out why. The best I can come up with is it’s an attempt to step down the high voltage/low amperage input current to low voltage/high amperage current.

Any thoughts?

BTW, it’s a new Miller Syncrowave 250.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-23-2004 04:57
It would to some degree filter out high frequency noise which might feed back into the line.
Bill
Parent - By - Date 03-23-2004 05:53
It definitely appears somebody had an idea they were creating an RF filtering choke in the power cord to prevent Hi Freq passing down the power line.
The more interesting question, did it work?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2004 10:53
Could it be that the installer just shortened the cable by wrapping, rather than cutting, it off in case the extra length is needed at a later date?
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2004 10:57
Then again, it might be as these others suggested, an attempt to dampen the high freq. feeding back due to other equipment it may have been bothering close by. I would like to know what you find out.
John Wright
Parent - - By PaulyZ (*) Date 03-23-2004 13:40
Will let you know as soon as possible. Change is not always welcomed with open arms here!

BTW, I was checking the other welders and found the same thing except it was the ground cable wrapped, not the power. Any ideas?
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-23-2004 14:19
Do you mean the weld circuit (workpiece) ground? or the power supply earth ground? I can't see where the power supply ground would do any good being wrapped; it isn't intended to carry current normally.
The welding ground being wrapped would introduce an inductor into the circuit. Inductors tend to resist changes in current flow, sort of smoothing out the "peaks and valleys", and they can act as RF chokes. As others have noted, it would be interesting to learn if it did any good.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By PaulyZ (*) Date 03-23-2004 15:52
Chet,

The first unit has the power supply cable wound, the second has only the work piece ground wound.

The welding process, up to this point, has been viewed as a sort of "black magic". Since a strong resistance to change exists, it may take some work to get the cable uncoiled so I can see any changes.

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-23-2004 17:16
I can well understand your situation, we have a few superstitions of our own to overcome. But if you ever find out the true reason the cables were wrapped, we all will appreciate learning about it. Especially if it works!
Chet
Parent - By dee (***) Date 03-23-2004 17:16
Pauley,
Forgive my levity here, particularly because it's somewhat at your expense. I have been watching this thread with some interest and had some thoughts I was hesitant to spread, choosing instead to await accurate remarks from someone who actually knew.

Given the remark about welding being numbered among the "Black Arts" in your shop I believe the correct conclusion is clear.
As Chet (I believe) said, these indeed serve as inductors. I suspect their purpose was to antennuate communication signals sent from a race of extraterrestrials intended to control the minds of the management,who therefore run the risk of having their heads explode in the event the coil is even temporarily removed for test and evaluation purposes.
Good luck with your problem there, and don't worry- the regular use of normal safety equipment affords enough protection from their subordinant control beams...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Coiled cable and pipe section???