Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Uses for surface grinder and multi head drill press?
- - By phaux (***) Date 03-27-2012 03:46
I have a customer that has a large computer controlled surface grinder and a multi head drill press that they are wanting to sell me for a good price to get out of their way as they have no use for them.

My question: what applications are they used for and what can I do with them for fabrication and to make money?

I really don't know what a surface grinder is used for other than making a surface smooth (why do you need to smooth a surface?) and have no idea what I could do with 4 drill presses. Any ideas or scenarios in which these tools can be used would be much appreciated.

The drill press is the same model as the one here on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKWELL-DELTA-17-FOUR-HEAD-MULTI-SPINDLE-DRILL-PRESS-GANG-DRILL-/380412508950?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7287981190834273117#ht_5072wt_1037
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-27-2012 04:19
These machines have lmited use in a fab shop.

The surface grinder is used a lot in a tool & die shop, and in some manufacturing operations.
about all You would do with it is sharpen shear blades and ironworker punches & dies.

The 4 head drill press is uesd in manufacturing to do multiple operations on smaller parts. You set the sequential operations up starting at one end, and move the parts down the line to do the others using one or several operators. The work is often held in a drill jig.

To know if they would benifit You, We would have to know exactly what sort of work Your shop is capable of, and what work is available to You.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Uses for surface grinder and multi head drill press?