Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DC 250 Mk Lincoln 3 phase Need help!
- - By Yardbird (*) Date 03-31-2012 19:51
I need to find out what size hp rotary converter i need to change from  1  phase to 3 phase.   Here is the stats:  motor 7.5 hp 3600 rpm,  60 cycle 3 phase 250 amps at 30volts.  This is a 1956  red head vertical motor generator.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-01-2012 03:50
You need a converter that can start a 7 1/2 HP motor. This is not a hard starting ap[plication.

If building Your own rotary converter You need a 7 1/2 HP or larger idler motor, the RPM isn't critical. To get full output, You will need to add run capacitors in at least one of the generated legs to get the voltage ballanced. There are a lot of plans on the net for building Your own.
Parent - By meanstreak (*) Date 04-04-2012 00:28
What you have is a good welder. To run it from a rotofase will work. But not very efficently.  You will be running the rotofase motor and the motor in the lincoln. The lincoln wont be in running at full efficiency. I have done all of this. Suggest a lincoln dc250. Nice single phase stick and mig welder. About same size as your mk250. One is on ebay now cheap. A better way to go. Plus the dc250 is quiet. Mk250. Is noisy.been .down this road and it is the better way to go in the long run. And cheaper
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / DC 250 Mk Lincoln 3 phase Need help!