Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Invision 352MPa, D74MPa feeder, and cart
- - By aevald (*****) Date 04-14-2012 04:31
Hi everyone, have had the good fortune to upgrade some of our capabilities in the school shop. A lot more of the local industries are stepping up how they approach aluminum fabrication and other materials besides carbon. We got the system and needed a way to mobilize it and keep it safe and all together, fabricated this cart to take care of it with that in mind.
     I have operated this system on a number of occasions, yet my partner and I are looking forward to being able to work with it a lot more and fully realize it's potential. Fortunately the Miller rep. for our area is really super at supporting us and will be paying a visit to our shop to help us out with getting it on line properly and also showing our current crop of students at the same time. We have also contacted a number of interested parties from our local shops to participate as well.
     Would appreciate comments from any of you out there who have time on this system, pros, cons, whatever you may have experienced. Have a few pictures of our set-up. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 04-14-2012 15:30
Good Morning;
This cart along with the saw cart are excellent pieces of workmanship. Your students are very fortunate to have you as their instructor.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-14-2012 17:48
Thanks Matt, I enjoy working with all of our students, they all bring a different twist into life. I don't take all of the credit though by any means, I have a full time partner and another gentleman who assists with our program. Together we have a bit more than 100 years of trade experience. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-14-2012 16:48
Allan,

Nice carts!

I would really love some performance reports from you on your new Dual Invisions when you start putting em through paces.

I have *tentative* approval for 3 of the same'ish Dual feeder units...  Several of our local business players are using these and employ a BUNCH of my program grads....  One group does both MCAW and aluminum and the other does almost exclusively GMAWP with .035 solid wire-vert-down on outside corners, for low pressure/fuel tanks from small to quite large....

Can't wait to hear how you like them and what they do for you.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-14-2012 17:53
Hello Lawrence, I figured you would already have a half a dozen of these(kidding). I first had an opportunity to work with this system at a Miller "Weld Camp" about a year ago. They allowed an instructor and two students each to spend 2 days at their district training facility. My partner and I both brought 2 students to participate. Got to "hot rod" this system and a lot of their other ones while we were there. I was definitely impressed with it's capabilities. Recently one of our shops in town purchased a system, only with the single feeder. They have used it mainly on aluminum projects and some on stainless ones. Really good results. Will try to include updates as we get into using it. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-19-2012 23:35
Hello Lawrence, our Miller rep. showed up today and gave a bunch of our students the low-down on many of the basic capabilities of the 352 MPa system. Then after giving the discussion and demonstration end of it he let them have at it, mainly with the aluminum side of the feeding system.

Explained the term "synergic" and showed them how it worked in action. Also showed them how the "crater fill" feature worked and explained why it is "suggested" to be used. Spoke of the "start" function and how it allowed for avoidance of cold stacking and LOF when doing a restart or even starting a new bead.

Yesterday my partner, I, and our assistant instructor had a chance to play around with it a bit. We were able to run an aluminum bead vertical up on the edge of an 1/8" piece of material with 3/64" 5356 wire and it actually stacked rather nicely. Among a number of other scenarios, by simply adjusting the wire speed, we were able to achieve some very acceptable visual and mechanical results. Today while I was "researching", oh I guess I should be honest "playing around", I was able to run an outside corner joint on 16 GA. SS vertical up with .045 316 LSI solid wire. Set the arc length to 50, the wire speed to 50, and the profile pulse frequency to 2.5 and pointed it slightly uphill and pushed it along steadily and smoothly resulting in a nice outside fill and just a slight burn-through on the back side. Gonna have a lot of "research and developement time on this one", Okay, "playtime".

I will see about getting some photographs of some of the beads and giving the parameters and listing which features were being used or not and how they were set up concerning the specific parameters. Even though Miller has simplified much of the adjustments of this system there is still plenty that a person could explore about it and how to apply it in everyday use. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-20-2012 01:09
Sounds awesome!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-20-2012 13:31
Hey,

Are those rear wheels on the cart "home made"  ?

They look somehow different and I like em.

The lads are building a smoker from scratch out of sheet metal this week and I'm thinking about having them fabricate the wheels too.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2012 14:37
Hello Lawrence, wish we could take credit for them, however, they are "recycled". They came off of an old Lincoln torpedo-motor/generator that wasn't able to be repaired. We are currently going to be building some other carts where we will be using sections of pipe with flat bar similarly utilized along with some machined centers to make wheels. When we get them done I will be posting them along with the machines that they will be carrying. Look forward to seeing your students "smoker". Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-14-2012 17:06
Excellent workmanship on the carts Allan!! Don't know doodly about the blue thing on it though but look forward to any reviews or comments you might have.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-14-2012 19:30
Hope you don't mind me making a copy of this.  After looking over your pics, I think I'm going to add a drawer, in the open area of the Power Supply base, for consumables.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-14-2012 20:06
Hi Doug, not at all, I had considered doing something like that, however, students are not known for being conservative with consumables so I decided against it. If I had one in my personal shop that might be more of a likelihood. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 04-20-2012 13:22
That looks like a well thought out cart. I really like the 90* elbow for running cables through.

Chris
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-20-2012 14:39
Thanks Chris, yes I did consider chaffing of the cables where sharp edges might come into play. Had the elbows laying around gathering rust and thought they might serve a good purpose here. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Invision 352MPa, D74MPa feeder, and cart