Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weldolet strategy
- - By Stringer (***) Date 05-01-2012 23:23
I've got to put 20 weldolets (inch and a half), staggered, on a schedule 160 three inch pipe over a length of eight feet or so. There is no code requirement. It will be handling compressed nitrogen. I'm seriously considering omitting the space for root pass and not using full penetration. Hell, the pipe is threaded on one end! The pressure will be applied for an hour a day for about 40 days and that's about all the use this thing will get. I am afraid that if I space the weldolet I'll then need so much damn weld that the pipe curls all over the place. I've been certified since 1976 so my welds will pretty bueno, but I am not unconcerned about not using full penetration. I'll preheat to 200 to chase off the hydrogen, tack with 5p+ and then run Atom Arc 7018 (1/8) till full. Comments? Flames?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-01-2012 23:54
Suitcase and 75/25. I welded a bunch of non code...excuse me, non inspected just don't let it leak water weld o lets and ran them with my suitcase. Knocked out 16 of them in no time flat, clean, no slag cleaning, no stopping.
Parent - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 05-02-2012 01:46
It don't hurt to heat a spot 180 degrees from where the o-let is going. Make it about as big as a quarter, cherry red. Also cut the holes in a staggerd sequence to reduce warpage. The cutting is almost as bad as the welding.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-02-2012 02:59
Well Stringer.........I have a secret that you already know: the threads on those hickory nuts are going to come loose before your welds will. What you are doing doesn't require a 5p root. It is essentially a structural weld, but it is a superman structural weld. I have welded 100s of hickory nuts, and done many hot taps the way you are going to put these weldolets on.

Cut your holes a little bigger than the base of the nut so your nut drops in a hair, and weld the hell out of it. If you're using lh rod, do yourself a favor and buy a hundred pounds of euctectic rod, since you should have ZERO porosity in these welds!

You will probably want to 3 pass with 3/16 rod, or 5 pass with 5/32.

Now, get  yourself a comealong and run it along the bottom of the pipe, attaching it to both ends of the pipe and tighten the hell out of it. It won't spring so bad on you when you superheat it.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2012 04:23
And don't take some of these guys serious, they are the same jack wagons that come out with 40 pound blue prints for a swingset. I am in the business of knowing what will work, without taking a full week to have mathmatics tell me that it will indeed work. You know what you need to do, so get it knocked out...
Parent - - By FarmCode (*) Date 05-03-2012 10:40
I wuz gonna say zactly the same thing..!

But you beat me to it because I was busy puttin the chilli in my rod oven.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-03-2012 12:14
FC,
IMHO....reheating Chili is OK, it's those pesky baked potatos that cause all of the grief to the lo-hy rods being stored in the oven.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2012 15:16
Heheh......that's what I like about this forum...

I believe a country boy will, indeed, survive.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-02-2012 03:02
Are you building a manifold for a coal shale operation?
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 05-02-2012 16:56
Main question: what pressure?

QCRobert
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-02-2012 21:50 Edited 05-02-2012 21:52
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn196/swsweld/008-1.jpg

I think this guy is available if you need some help. He loves to weld...and weld....and weld...

The picture doesn't do it justice. You had to be there.
Save money on fittings too.
- - By 63 Max (***) Date 05-01-2012 23:40
Man that things going to look like a banana no matter what you do. As for not rooting it you should be able to do that with no prblem. I wouldn't weld them one after another. I would space them out it will help alittle. Good luck
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-01-2012 23:59
Warpage will be unavoidable....SCH 160?  What kind of working pressures are you dealing with?  Take the working PSI and figure against yield of your weld deposit in psi..that will let you know if just a fillet will get it or not.  Probably so but crunch a few numbers to be sure.  I would leave a headroom of 30% minimum.   Good luck with it.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 05-02-2012 00:40
If u can get away with just a fillet weld why not forged couplings? A little grinding for a saddle for proper fit and a good fillet weld. I would say u could save some money on fittings that way also. Just a suggestion, I don't know the application for this header.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-02-2012 02:09
Sounds like oilfield stuff, id put in the root for sure, sometimes those guys run crazy pressure in the thousands of psi.  Not only that it sounds like gas service, not liquid, so that thing will be right next to Hiroshima if it lets go
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-02-2012 05:40
This sure sounds like like a pressure pipe weld weld to me.
Corrals and cattle guards from unused well casing, old drill pipe and perforation guns... Yeah, these are the oilfield structural jobs to shortcut on.
High pressure Nitrogen... I'd take the extra time to put a proper root in. Oh, and don't forget to charge accordingly. The "No one told me to", "Plausible Deniability" is tough to use during an investigation in the unlikely event of a catastrophic failure. Most of us just aren't psychopathic or stone cold enough to make that excuse fly.
Now, my old buddy Bart once told a lawyer in the pretrial briefing... "Oh, so this is a lying contest? He!!, they've lost already!"  2 hours later, Brenda Yancy (names changed to protect the guilty!) was awarded $600,000.

Just remember this.. when ever you make a partial penetration weld, or have incomplete fusion... simply put as I see it... you now have intentionally placed a crack in your weld.
You ever see how they throw this stuff around like it was made out of rope? It is getting pressure surges and lying in the rocks quivering like Jimmy Swaggarts chin when he said "I have Sinned!!!!"
Plus, a lot of this gets super cold from liquid Nitrogen i.e. brittle.
And yes, I've made similar headers on a hard money bid, taken the hit, spent the extra time, put in a root and slept well ever since.
Just my take on the project.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-02-2012 12:24
Thanks for the feedback! The holes were cut with a hole saw in a mill, so there's no burning to it. It's a private experiment, no oil and gas, and the nitrogen is not liquified, although it still gets cold. Hydraulic hoses go to the weldolets, so it's not even hard piped. I'm an hourly employee on this but it's my call on how to do it and I'm always cautious.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-02-2012 12:57
what pressure and temp
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-02-2012 15:02
Just thought I'd mention (for the benefit of those less experienced) that since you have a mill, cut the holes AFTER welding is completed to further retard the warpage.
Might be a bit tough on this small of Weld-O-Lets, but many times, a little "interior decorating" (back welding) can take place on the root side.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2012 14:54 Edited 05-02-2012 14:56
No one cares how it is welded until something goes BANG. Then the lawyers and courts will help straighten the mess out.

ASME is usually that applicable code body for pressures in excess of 15 psi (about 1-atmosphere). Whether it is a local, state, or federally mandated requirement is another story and depends on whether ASME has been incorporated into their laws. Even when ASME is not dictated by law, insurance carriers usually incorporate it directly or indirectly into the insurance coverage.

You left out most of the important facts that apply to your little experiment. It must be an experiment; it would appear no one is providing the required direction to do the work in a competent manner. Clearly you don't have the expertise to do the job properly or you wouldn't be suggesting taking the short cuts noted in your post.

What are the materials of construction? Saying it is constructed out of steel isn't providing much more information than I would expect from a kid taking a shop class in middle school.
What diameters are involved?
What is the design/operating pressure?
What is the lowest anticipated service temperature?
Did you consider the temperature if you have a leak or sudden release of pressure (adiabatic decompression; think of how cold a can of spray paint gets if you use the entire can without stopping)?
What is the distance between the integrally reinforced branch fitting (Weld-O-Let, Thread-O-Let, etc.)?
What is the maximum design pressure permitted for the material (based on material specification and grade (based on some rational other than, "Duh, I think it will work.")?
What inspections are required?

Consider: any fillet weld or partial joint penetration groove weld has an allowable stress that is much lower ( 0.3 times the tensile strength of the filler metal for structural applications) than that permitted for CJP groove welds, but still you cannot over stress the base metal. Different codes have different allowable stresses, but in all cases fillets and partial joint penetration groove welds are rated at much lower stress than CJP.

Am I being sarcastic? Yup, intentionally so. You are a welder, not a design professional. You are not cognizant of the code requirements or the basics of good design. I would say go for it if you were doing this job for your own use. Darwin was right, he knew it was a good idea to separate the weak minded from the rest. In this case it is unlikely you will be the one that suffers injury should your contraption fail, but rather some unsuspecting individual that blindly put his faith in idiot’s hands. In this case there are several idiots involved, your employer being one of them.

I've been certified since 1976." That makes you a bloody genius doesn't it? I know welders that are great at laying beads, but they have to witness each other's "X" on the back of their paychecks when they sign them over to the nearest gin mill. Are you serious?

Al
Parent - - By FarmCode (*) Date 05-02-2012 15:18
Fine Mr. Purfectionassst.

We can take all the advice offered buy theze guyz and put them into a procedure.

But now that 2 days have gone buy it will take at least 4 napkins to get it all down, and thatz without drawings and cypering symbolz.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2012 15:30
I had to inspect a manifold consisting of a few IRBCs welded to a pipe a while back, but they weren't as purrty as that one in yur picher!

The manifold I had to inspect looked like a water feature at a waterpark when the hydro pressure hit 100 psi. The manifold was suppose to be tested to 6000 psi. I opted out.

Al :eek:
Attachment: BranchFitting-IFSlag.pdf (186k)
Parent - By FarmCode (*) Date 05-02-2012 15:32
100 was enuf
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-03-2012 01:52
Those leaks were a safety feature. When it leaks bad enough at low pressure, You can't build up to the really dangerous pressure.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2012 04:15
To some people its a dead critter in the road, to others it lunch. It all depends on your perspective.

Al :cool:
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-04-2012 02:03
Depends on the critter too.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 03:14
They don't usually have much to say at that point.

Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-03-2012 04:21
Al,
I've always had great regard for your posts and I'm not being sarcastic when I say I appreciate your reply. The end of the 3" sch 160 pipe is threaded and gets a threaded cap. The weldolets get hydraulic hoses that are open to open atmosphere. I'd put working pressure way south of 500 lbs.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-03-2012 15:30
Every manifold I have built with that many nuts on it was open ended. Anything that is threaded is only gonna handle so much pressure. And a manifold like that could only be open ended somewhere, such as a burner or baffle system. Sometimes the technical advise here gets to be like 3 guys standing around an open hood on the side of the road....
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-03-2012 16:35 Edited 05-03-2012 16:40
As I mentioned in the unanswered portion of my post, what is the pressure? It clearly makes a difference. That being said, there is nothing to say some crazy that knows little about the system could try to cap the hydraulic lines. Should that happen, what would be the maximum potential pressure?

People post questions all the time without providing the entire story or all the facts. There are always "What ifs?" that are unanswered. I assume the worst. I would rather be conservative than sorry after the fact. I always took the same approach as a welder. It probably goes back to designing and fabricating equipment on the farm. My goal was always to make it fail safe and idiot proof. If there were two bolts to install in a connection, my father would put one in (there is always a safety factor, everything is over designed). If there were two braces, dad would install one. Lessons learned; always design for one pin/bolt connections, always use one brace that had to be installed in order for the machine to function and no redundant members where the machine could function with a missing part. It worked on the farm and it seemed to serve me well as an adult.

Always assume the person that will be using the device is not a rocket scientist. Always assume the machine will be used for purposes other than what it is intended for. If you think I'm crazy just think of the times when you've seen people use the cutting torch as a hammer to break a piece free while cutting. How many times have you seen people use the head of an adjustable wrench as a hammer? Maybe you've done it yourself over the years.

The best advice I can offer is to be conservative, do what is right, and leave the short cuts to the ignorant.

Last points; I use sarcasm to make a point. I might take a jab, but it is intended to make you (or anyone) to think twice about what they are doing. No question is a stupid question. The question can be a silly question and it will cost the poster a jab or two. It is always more fun if we get a chuckle at the poster's expense.

Best regards - Al :smile:
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-03-2012 17:26
Great post Al.

Stringer,
Wouldn't putting in the small amount of extra time and trouble to do it right be worth it, considering the worst case scenario?

Tim
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-04-2012 03:04
To all who think you can just slap it together, why not just make it out of toilet paper tubes and Elmers and show the rest of us how dumb we really are
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-04-2012 04:08
I have seen Red Green make stuff like that, usually has some duct tape too.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 03:16
Sourdough, how many past customers have lived to invite you back a second time?:yell:

The country boyz might survive, but will anyone working around them live to talk about it?

Al:lol::grin:
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2012 03:23 Edited 05-04-2012 03:54
Yeah, you're a funny guy......except what most of the posters here don't know is that I have built many of these in the oilfield to spec, by an engineer, hence, I know what I'm talking about.

Do you?

Most weldolets are specific to the size and thickness of the pipe, and are also specific for the pressure of the application. If you have ever seen the weldolets we are talking about, you would understand that to get a full pen weld, you would be so high above the base material to start with that you would be welding each one till the cows come home. The material would be a million degrees by the time you were done, and your client would truly believe he was being had.

You see, in the field we field welders have to be better at what we do, than say a shop man that never fights adversity such as weather, rolling offsets, and seemingly insurmountable deadlines on top of it all. We have to be discerning enough to understand the nature of the equipment we work on, and the parts we build, such as the manifold in question. I personally know many men who walk around nearly toppling from the size of their heads, and they flat cannot do what I do with enough success to have the troubleshooting reputation I do. And these guys are going under nowadays, because their clients use me instead.

Truth is, my clients understand that I would never put them in any danger physically. Even more importantly, they understand I would never put their bank account in peril, because I don't subject them to stupid, over engineered projects they don't need, and.....my products last..........

So.........this country boy has a brain, and ethics, and will probably do a little more than just survive.

Just sayin.......
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 04:04 Edited 05-04-2012 04:38
You clearly know what you’re talking about; you know all the slang, so that makes you a genius in the oil patch.

I've seen some of the work performed in the oil patch and I'm always amazed. Price and speed the hallmarks of success. Safety, naa, not so much.

You are probably right, we work in different worlds. I work with codes and standards intended to protect lives and property. When the people I work with screw up there are lives at risk. We know how to read and we at least attempt to do things the way they were engineered. In your industry, naa, not so much based on your posts. However I applaud your willingness to admit to cutting corners where ever and whenever possible. Every time I see photographs of scary welds, you always come to mind. I do see your point, engineers; what a waste of time, money, and energy. Blueprints? "I don't need no stinkin blueprints. Those are for sissy welders. Real welders don't need them!"

I enjoy reading every one of your posts. They're like little treasures. They're almost as good as reading the comics in the Sunday newspaper. And I say that with no disrespect. If you can get the reader to understand what you are talking about and interject a little laughter at the same time; you win! It is an art and a gift to do so. Killing off the competition with words of advice; that is a brilliant business strategy, a stroke of genius!

Just remember, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

I guess I should come clean. I also do work for the oil and gas industry. I just finished my portion of a piece of machinery designed to operate in 10,000 feet of saltwater. I do have an idea of what you are up against, but as God is my witness, I hope to hell you never weld on any of my equipment without first looking at the drawings, reading the specs, and please, please, follow the WPS. There's is a reason for all of it. If necessary please ask someone to read and explain their meaning. Never be too proud to ask questions my friend.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 05-04-2012 09:37
Al...   I understand your frustration but I DO think a welder should think for himself too.  I saw two hick welders drag up over the engeneers plans On the last job I Was on. They drew up plans for a thousand horse power  1OK PSI mud pump to to have a 2in sch 8O pop off line that had two 90s  wraping around the oporators deck.  The welders said NO if that thing pops off then the mud gets hard in the line the next time it pops off that pipe will explode. They said we are the smart ones do it anyway..!  Just becase someone went to school and has a paper that says they are smart doesnt mean they are..!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 13:47
I can't agree more with what you are saying. The school of hard knocks is a great way to learn, but the lessons can be very expensive.

More often than not, the best designs are collaboration between the people that use and install the equipment and the design team. Where I have an issue is when the welder takes it upon himself to modify or change the basic design without knowing all the parameters or without discussing the changes with the designer.

I have a lot of respect for welders. I earned my living under the welding hood for many years (over twenty). I also have respect for the engineers that design the structures and machines we use every day. I also respect the inspector who is tasked with verifying the welding and installation is done in accordance with the approved plans. None of these entities should be working in a vacuum. The effort of the team leads to successful installations and safety operations. It’s the lone wolf that knows more than anyone else that usually causes the most grief and problems. That lone wolf can be the welder, the mechanic, the inspector, or the designer. Sourdough isn't wrong in some of points he makes, but unless he or I know the whole story and all the facts before we act, the repercussions of our unilateral actions can be devastating.

I’ve worked in heavy industry all my life. I’ve been involved in accidents that have cost people’s lives because someone made a stupid decision that became obvious after the fact. In each case someone on the job site didn’t follow the plans or standard operating procedures. The result is that the family of the victim ends up paying dearly in terms of  loss of earnings, the loss of a loved one, and the emotional stress that extends over a lifetime. The monetary loss can be easily compensated and over come. The loss of a loved one is something that cannot be fixed by the courts. Making an unauthorized change, fabricating pressure components without a design professional’s input is in my opinion criminal when it puts others at risk.

I have no problem when an individual builds something for his own use. When the people he or she puts at risk is his/her own, God bless them for having the initiative to try something new. I do it myself, but I’m not putting other people’s lives or livelihoods on the line. I don’t gamble with other people’s well being.

There is no teacher that provides better life lessons than experience. That experience can only go so far. The fact that you are experienced at building various components, systems, or structures is not a substitute for good engineering. It is difficult to know how a component is going to respond to a load if you do not have all the design parameters and if you are not knowledgeable of all the environmental conditions. Many of those details are not known by the welder and in some case they are not known by the designer. The designer at least has the resources available to make decisions based on the available data and “good engineering judgment”. A rule of thumb I subscribe to is: the greater the unknown, the greater the risk, the greater the need to be conservative. In this case it was evident that an individual was asking whether it was permissible to “design” a contraption without knowing all the design parameters. Giving advice that isn’t backed by good engineering principles is inexcusable. Taking short cuts that could jeopardize the well being of people working with the component or machinery is unethical and immoral.

If you have hung around the Forum for any length of time you know that there isn’t any profession, whether it’s the welder, designer, or the inspector, that is immune to being prodded with a sharp stick if they say something that is simply not factual or stupid. I’ll poke fun at anyone to make a point. It isn’t intended to humiliate anyone.

When a drawing specifies the use of standardized components it is the welder’s responsibility to weld it as shown by the approved drawing or by the manufacturer’s recommendations. The designer assumes the welder (fabricator) will follow the drawing and the manufacturer’s recommendations. The designer has no way of knowing the welder is going to take short cuts because “he” believes the component is over designed. The welder is in an indefensible position when he alters  the design without consulting the designer or the owner. If there is any question about how something is to be welded it is incumbent upon the welder to ask questions. The welder is putting his employer at risk and may very well be putting other people at risk when he knowingly fails to follow instruction. In this post the individual stated that he was an hourly employee. I take that to assume he is not in a position to arbitrarily make design decisions.

If you own the company, if you are the individual that is responsible for the work produced by your company, if you have the knowledge and the experience to make design decisions, go for it. The situation is far different for an hourly employee on the production floor. As the latter, he should follow the directions provided or ask for direction when it isn’t sufficient to do the work in a competent manner.

By the way, those “nuts” as someone called them are suppose to be welded in a certain way to “reinforce” the run pipe, i.e., the weld and the design of the integrally reinforced branch fitting (IRBF) replaces the material removed when the hole is made in the run pipe. The “code” makes no distinction between low pressure and high pressure in relation to the welding of the IRBF. Is it overkill? Maybe, but if the designer specifies the use of the IRBF rather than a half coupling, there’s a good chance there is a reason for doing so. If the welder has a question, the answer is most likely a phone call away. Most designers would appreciate some feedback from the fabricator. If the run pipe curls like a banana, there are ways to correct it without depredating the mechanical properties. 

Just my opinion on the subject.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2012 12:49 Edited 05-04-2012 13:11
You must have got it in your head that I am someone else.

Cutting corners every chance I get, huh?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are thinking of someone else.

On a personal note: where would I be if my gift for natural humor wasn't twice that of most folks I know? With my passion for life, I would be dead. Everything I do, I do it with passion. And that is rare, my friend. People with business savvy see it immediately. Women see it immediately. If I wasn't able to find humor in every aspect of life, my passion would simply appear as psychosis, and folks like you would be victims. Lol.

So get off your high horse. Not only can I read well, I have probably built as much from engineered prints as you have. Suck it up man, nobody here ever questioned your capabilities like you have mine just recently.

The original post was about hickory nuts on a log. You and I are making this about ourselves. You and me, two intelligent men.

Now if that ain't funny, I don't know what is.......
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 13:48 Edited 05-04-2012 14:14
You got me. :lol:

Sourdough, you do make me laugh and it isn't a bad thing. I do enjoy your spin on things and please don't take offence at my posts. However, if you want to talk about hickory nuts on a log, you might be in the wrong forum.

Seriously, you and I would be busting each other’s stones on a job site and it would all be in fun. That's how it intended here as well. I can tell by your posts you would be al lot of fun to work with and I don't mean that in a bad way. A little ball busting can be fun if it is taken the right way. It breaks the monotony when the days are long and the work is strenuous.

In complete honesty, would you want an employee working for you to take some of the liberties you've suggested without consulting with you first? When you give an assignment to one of your people, do you expect him to weld it as they see fit or do you want them to do it the way you tell them to?

High horse? You might have a point. A good kick in the ass does one's ego a wealth of good, as long as it's someone else's ass that is! :wink:

Al
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-04-2012 14:28
If I had an employee that didn't follow my orders, he/she would be kicking rocks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 14:44
Thought so.

Al
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 05-04-2012 23:38
Look, I appreciate where you guys are coming from. I've worked the oil and gas trades, too, and your prejudices are well founded. But that's not what's going on here, I assure you. The engineer is saying 2500 working pressure but truthfully this is an uncappable and open to atmosphere device. I asked if a curl was acceptable and since it is, I purged and heliarced all twenty roots today and began the weldout with 7018. I've got a fat and heavy flange to weld on tomorrow which will get a 5+ and 7018 treatment and then I'll get it to a neighbor for a 10k hydrotest.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-05-2012 00:01
I might also add, and this is my own fault for poor literature skills in my initial post, that there is no subterfuge here. The engineer is my friend. I'm trying to get him the best, most efficient product available anywhere. I do my level best at everything and other people's safety is my number one concern and always has been. He is on fast dial and we collaborate on every detail.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-05-2012 02:13
That sounds like a well reasoned approach.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-06-2012 14:58
Crass......
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-08-2012 12:14
Yesterday's hydrotest popped the threaded cap off so they are back to the drawing board. I'm thinking they will cut the 3" threads off and have me weld a flange on that end as well.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-08-2012 13:02
Yep. What more can I say......
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weldolet strategy