Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fuel pump dumping into block
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-29-2012 16:18
I went to do a little repair job the other day and the machine quit after 5 minutes...checked and it was out of fuel.  I was pretty sure it was full last time I ran it.  Fueled up and finished the job, toward the end it was running funny.   Got back to the shop and noticed a leak, thought it was a hose.  Shut the valve off and went to fix it, "hmmm the dipstick is wet" ...pulled it and there was a ton of gas in the oil!!!!   When I drained the machine it had about 3 gallons of gasoline in the block!  I thought I probably just lost the engine at that point.  Long story short the fuel pump was pumping/leaking into the block.  Replaced the pump and flushed the engine real good, motor seems fine, no smoke, no noises.  I got lucky the motor did not self destruct or burn my truck to the ground.  If anyone needs some weedeater fuel I got about 4 gallons extra.

I have had mech pumps go down many times but I have never seen one let go into the engine.  This ever happened to anyone else?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-29-2012 17:41
That's a first for me as well.

Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-29-2012 18:06
Hello Tommy, more common than you might think. The diaphragms go bad and then they leak internally into the block. Happens with gas or diesel given enough time or other related "wearouts". Glad to hear you caught it in time. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 04-30-2012 11:02
Occurs quite often in antique car repairs.
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 04-30-2012 11:10
I have had this happen with old chevys.  And, I have heard of the old vacuum pumps sucking oil when the diaphragm goes bad.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 04-30-2012 11:22
Good morning;
I just had this happen to my 2010 Equinox. It was running rough so I took it in and they said somehow, gas was getting into the crankcase. Come to find out, the high pressure fuel pump was defective. Kind of a moot point at this time as I have since totaled it out on the way to work. Good way to start a Monday, eh? Glad to hear it didn't hurt the machine. Maybe it helped to clear the passages.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-30-2012 14:12 Edited 04-30-2012 14:17
yea I imagine it is pretty clean inside now:grin:  I ran it last Friday all day with no issues, I am very thankful it seems to be fine.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 04-30-2012 22:22
Good to hear the engine is running well after that Tommy. I had that happen to me on a small block Chevy, luckily it died before I filled the crankcase full. What it did do was completely ruin the rubber gaskets in the pan, t.iming cover and rear main
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-01-2012 06:01
Engine get a little hot, did it.....?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-02-2012 02:24
It is like Moma told Sister "Don't screw around if there is a hole in Your diaphram"
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-01-2012 06:00
Yep, happens a lot. Especially on the old chevy small blocks.
Parent - - By Nitrowelding (**) Date 05-02-2012 02:16
What kinda machine do you have?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-02-2012 16:45
Old Hobart 3020g.  Motor is a Ford industrial 2.3  First issue I have ever had with it, got almost 5k in hrs.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-03-2012 02:15
Rubber parts only last so long. On one side of the diphram You have gasoline, on the other side is Your crank case...
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-03-2012 18:29
Yea I know Dave but I have had lots of mech fuel pumps let go out the weep hole...or just quit pumping when they went bad....never had one shove gas into the block before.  I reckon from listening to everyone it is a pretty common thing.  Because the fuel tank is above the pump it might have just bleed into the crankcase sitting still.....that is probably why I have not seen it like this before.  The pump definitely was leaking...I just did not catch it right away.  You only notice it is bad when running or just after running on a car because the tank is lower then the pump usually.  Learn something new all the time.

I have been looking and have not noticed any crank seal/oil pan or other leaks so far.   Listened with a screwdriver to the ear and all the major bearings sound fine...thing has a pretty quiet valve train actually.  Tough old welding machine!:grin:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / fuel pump dumping into block