Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / old and grey
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-05-2012 21:40
My initial training was given to me 27 years ago officially. I had received unofficial training in machining, welding, casting, etc starting at the age of 9.
Worked on the farm welding up broken equipment, casting and machining replacement parts, among other duties like feeding the animals until hit by a car at 16, finished school in a hospital bed, hit the ground running as soon as I was on my feet in NDE/Heat treat.

Had a gentlemen tell me in my first 40 hour UT class that his career advice is to always seek out the old and greys. The people who stuck with the business as they will have invaluable knowledge to draw from. I can remember thinking at the time he was full of bovine excrement and was more than likely tooting his own horn. 5 years later, I had realized the wisdom and was volunteering for work just for the experience. RT at night, UT in the day, MT, PT, VT, LT, and the sporadic heat treat and welding gig. Saw home all of two weeks the following 5 years, especially after jumping in with ET. Various industries, crappy jobs, anything and everything to hook up with the old experienced hands to pick their brains. The last 8 years it's been very hard to find those guys. Most were well into their upper 60's and 70's and retired. There's a handful out there in the interim age between mine and that, but not many of them are left. 58 countries and 49 states later, he people who gave my initial training, and many others I've meet and learned from over the years, are now dead and gone.

I was talking to my wife the other day about this, when she asked me if I'd looked in the mirror lately.

Greying/turning loose hair, almost fully grey beard... and a good sized case of chester drawers to go with it. When the hell did that happen???

Broke out the contacts book, one in four people dead or dying out of it. Over half of them retired and out of the business. For an inspector I sure missed the hell out of the indication that I was turning into one of those old and greys. Makes me feel like I need to be lead out to pasture...

Anyone else feel the same?
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-05-2012 22:06
raises hand.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-05-2012 22:35
Sometimes Gerald  but certainly not to pasture.....I feel that way but mostly just broken body making itself known.  I still want to hang around those greybeards to learn a thing or two but my hair turned white a long time ago..prematurely of course.  The majority of people who truly taught me things are still kicking.  I have a friend that attends about 5-6 funerals a year it seems like....heck he knows everybody!!!

But yes, I hear what your saying.  The most valuable commodity in the world can be sold all day long but yet it cannot be bought.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-06-2012 05:23
Tommy,

Will have to steal that line. "The most valuable commodity in the world can be sold all day long, but yet it cannot be bought." No truer words have been spoken.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-06-2012 00:08
Gerald

The only way to stop the aging process is to stop getting any older!

It isn't like you can "Just say NO!"
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-06-2012 05:21
I hear ya Joe. Nothing for it but to suck it up and keep going while I can.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 05-07-2012 12:53
Old and Grey uh? Not sure how old you are Gerald but I can assure you that getting old beats the hell out of the alternative. Personally I just get old and bald.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-07-2012 01:21
Every time that I teach a class, or on a job with people willing to learn, I try to impart as much knowledge and experience as I can.  Every time that I meet someone with more experience or a different welding technique than I know, I soak up as much as I can.  I know that when I started, I asked a lot of questions and some of them were show me so that I actually know and understand.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-07-2012 12:58
Is it ok to listen to you even though I have a grey beard?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-07-2012 14:27
Lawrence,

Yes I guess it would. After considering the problem, the solution is to pass on all that I can, and look to peers for a different way to skin the cat if they have one.
Also considering jumping ship and doing something different.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-07-2012 19:45
It struck me many years ago when an old friend and mentor died unexpectedly.  Although nearly everyone considered him an a$$h0le he was one of the founding members of the CWI concept and when one got to know him he was a good guy.... anyone remember Wally Urbick?  I suppose Joe Kane does....
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 05-31-2012 02:52
I am forever young :wink:
- - By lo-hi (**) Date 05-10-2012 00:49
Was asked by a worker if i new any old welders and i said, ya a couple. No he said , i ment older than you. Ha Ha
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-10-2012 09:34
Welders are not any different than inspectors when it comes to age, if anything, it is worse for them. It is physically demanding to weld if they are good at it. Most don't make it past 20 years of it before they have moved on to something else putting welding as a secondary or tetiary skill set.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-10-2012 14:29
Hello Gerald, I know that it is certainly "harder" on me than it used to be, yet at least it keeps me young(is that an oxy-moron or something? or maybe I am the oxy-moron). Best regards, Allan
- By 63 Max (***) Date 06-02-2012 18:24
George, All this is very true. Not sure about the rest of you but I can remember when I realized I was getting older. I was 46 and jumped off a dumpster on a job. I climbed in it to get coupons for my helper who wanted pipe to practice on. As soon as I jumped off that dumpster I can remember saying to myself that was stupid old man, lol. Today I take my alieve every morning to make it a little easier to crawl around the pipe. On another note has the rest of you noticed that these young hands now days breaking out are pretty arrogant, we weren't like that were we, lol
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / old and grey