Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / on site s.s. mig
- - By lo-hi (**) Date 05-29-2012 23:26
wondering if anyone has tried the miller rmd or lincoln stt process for solid wire stainless.On pipe over 4" if it works it could save a lot of argon and time.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-30-2012 03:20
are you trying to save on back purge?   if so it ain't happening.   

I did run the Lincoln fanciness of the power wave 300 on some 3/16" 316L corner to corner welds on some open top plating tanks and couldn't see any benefit to it in that application vs just a strait CV power source with variable inductance.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-30-2012 17:32
Pat Patrick at Fluor in Sugarland TX (no longer there) did some definitive work on SS without purge using STT. It can work with specific controls and for specific applications. He presented the paper in Detroit at the Expo and the Journal published it. If you are going to do it I would get a copy of the paper first.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-30-2012 20:21
Pat is over at Metrode/Euroweld in Houston
Parent - - By WVwelder Date 05-31-2012 16:01
I tired seaching for the paper by Mr Patrick, but I could not find it. Would you happen to know the exact title of the paper or would anyone have contact information for Mr. Patrick? I would be interested in reading that paper.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 06-01-2012 01:02
WVwelder,
Here is something I posted a while back - never did locate the original article,
Regards,
Shane

Hi all,
This has turned into an interesting subject (hopefully I am not hijacking the post) but I was initially in agreement with Lawrence and Jeff that the welds couldn't be performed successfully without backing purge but after a bit of research I am unsure.
If you read some of the literature below it appears STT is being used "successfully" without purging on s/s pipes.

Miller RMD
Potential to eliminate backing gas. The shielding gas coming out of the gun remains relatively undisturbed by the controlled metal transfer of the RMD Pro process. As a result, enough shielding gas gets pushed through the root opening to prevent sugaring (oxidation) on the backside of the weld. Some fabricators have qualified procedures to weld some of the 300 series stainless steels without a backing gas, improving productivity by up to 400 percent.

Fluor Corporation
http://files.aws.org/conferences/abstracts/2003/11e.pdf

http://www.fiatech.org/pdfs/Roadmap2004/E4_FA4_P4.pdf

The original article written by Charles "Pat" Patrick would be very interesting reading especially if it has been re-released in the Welding Journal with some differences from the original.

Regards,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-01-2012 13:13
Shane,
Yeah, Pat was not happy about the changes.
- By lo-hi (**) Date 06-01-2012 21:14
Thank everyone for the response. These sites are like a living wealth of knowledge. Talked to the local airgas cwi and he said that their might be a pre-qualifed precedure in b1.6. Ihave some sch 10 6' and might try some coupons. thanks again
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / on site s.s. mig