Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working in PA warning
- - By tim105 (**) Date 05-18-2012 04:05
Just a heads up for all the non union welders going to work in PA. A friend of mine just lost his engine in his diesel truck, he was staying in an rv park around a bunch of 798 welders and somehow he got gasoline in his tank. He had a locking filler cap, so they used channel locks to pry it open. I just don't understand the thought process of some people, this guy is just there to make a dollar so he can better his life and he was not hurting anybody. I know that there's union welders on this site, maybe you guys can explain to me what is gained by destroying someones piece of equipment that is needed to do his job.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 05-18-2012 04:41
you sure he didnt fill it up with gas by accident?
Parent - - By Francisford (**) Date 05-18-2012 13:30
Wow that would have to suck.
I am in union welder but not in the 798.  I work in a open shop and cannot imagine any of the union guys I work with doing that just becuase the guy isint in the union.
Soundsl like there maybe more to it than that.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-18-2012 14:04
So, because there are Union members on site, you automatically assume a union guy did it.  There's a number of ways that could have happened.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 05-18-2012 15:29
I have been a union member for most of my professional career and, sadly, I can attest that there are people in the unions that are capable of doing things like that and worse. However, I have also worked with many Local 798 members and would like to just say that I would be quite surprised to find any of them with this mindset. They themselves work in the non-union sector on occasion, and do so with the permission of their union hall (at least that is what they all said when I asked them about it). I would rather think that this incident involved more than just union membership. I hope the guy gets things worked out.
Parent - - By tim105 (**) Date 05-18-2012 23:14
My friend filled up his truck several days before the incident and drove his truck without any problems and all of a sudden his truck is dead, so I would have to say that he didn't fill it up with gas.
There is more to the story, when my friend is working seven days a week non union, and the brothers are working 5 10 hour days, they have an issue with that.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 05-19-2012 16:17
I've had union friends brag to me of doing the same thing and was amazed that this guy would have done such a thing. I can't confirm it either way. I have been threatened on jobs before I was union and the ONLY reason was that I was non union, so it's no stretch of the imagination for me to believe this could happen. With alcohol, idle time and a propensity towards those you disrespect, it can develop a mob mentality.

Having said that, I do not stereotype all union workers. Some really good guys in it and some bad seeds as well....like all groups. JMO.
Parent - - By tim105 (**) Date 05-19-2012 19:23
The problem that I'm having with this whole thing is that we all work for a living, why ruin someone's equipment to stop him from going to work. How can anybody have the thought process that if someone is doing better than you, you have to stop them.
My friend got a rental truck and is back to work so it only cost him one days wages and as far as his truck goes, it'll cost his insurance company 22,000 to fix it.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-19-2012 20:21
I'm not trying to union bash, I have briefly been in the Pipe fitters and Boilermakers union but if you listen to some of the hard core members talk....they don't think that non union has a right to breath the same air much less work in the trades. Again, not the majority but there is an element that thinks that way. The thought process with some is that you are taking their work and that justifies their action.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-19-2012 21:01
I am still more than a little unconvinced as to WHO did anything to your friends truck.  I have heard no PROOF offered to the members of this forum that would even HINT at a particular segment of society.  I strongly agree that there is a percentage of union hands that could and would.  There are also plenty of non union hands that could and would. 

And now, $22,000 to fix his truck????!!!!  I could have a new diesel put in cheaper than that.  But, someone is probably ripping off the insurance company.  Never heard of that happening before.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By tim105 (**) Date 05-20-2012 18:20
How much do you think it'll cost to replace these?
1 New 5.9 liter Cummins
1 Fass Fuel System
1 Twin turbo
1 diesel fuel tank
Fuel lines
Weekly truck rental until his truck is fixed.
Labor to replace all of these items is not cheap, unless maybe you can do it for free?

As far as union or non, I can tell you that when you travel for work when you are non union, you go to work as many hours as you can. There is no time to sit idle and contemplate how the rats are taking your jobs, us rats are busy making money, not scheming how we can stop somebody from doing better for themselves.
I have been doing this close to twenty years and have traveled for ten of them for work, I have to say that non union travelers have more respect towards each other than the union does and we don't get jealous because the other guy is doing better than we are. There is no time to sabotage another mans equipment, unless you are fully rested and sit on your behind for more hours than you are working.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2012 01:22
I can see it needing a short block, the other components should not have been harmed by gasoline, if that is all that was added.

Yes, it is an expensive repair any way You look at it.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 05-21-2012 02:09
not to mention the fuel tank just needs flushed and the fass should be fine.  Unless he ran the living hell out of it with the gas the turbos should be fine.
Parent - By pocket change (**) Date 05-22-2012 23:50 Edited 05-22-2012 23:57
My 2006 5.9 cummins cost 27,000 dollars to replace at mike brown dodge in granbury tx. In order for the waranty to still be valid. replaced whole complete motor, all fuel lines, injectors, turbo, head, computer, All intake hoses, air cleaner box, fuel tank & intercooler. Mine was due to contaminated fuel and a dusted motor. I had three other cummins certified shops give a price they were all in that range. I had to do mine to keep waranty so I could sell the POS
It was completly stock no chip or anything. I bought the truck and then the motor **** out, truck was in shop two weeks before I bought it but the dealership that it was at never turned the paperwork in so it never showed up as trouble. guess live in learn.

I have always heard about other welders doing stuff to other welders stuff union and non union. I would have some proof before I said someone did it. JMHO
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-18-2012 16:16
Many people, union and non-union, are capable of doing such deeds.  Likewise, many union and non-union people I have encountered in RV parks are some of the best people you could run into regardless of union, or non, membership.  They will bend over backwards to lend other RVers a helping hand.

I'd be real careful about spreading even the hint of an accusation without solid evidence.  Third party rumours can cause more problems than the incident itself. 

You could spread a caution about vandalism in general and care about your fuel without throwing out unknown circumstances that will bring no good to pass.

Take care when trying to take up an offense of someone without knowing ALL the FACTS. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 05-18-2012 19:20
That's why my gas cap is hiding!! Guy on another website said somebody poured sugar in his fuel tank and now somebody is putting gas in this guys. I just can't believe the disrespect people have for another persons equipment, just sad, union or non union or even if the guy pizzed you off still no need to mess with his rig. Call him a a-hole, whatever but don't destroy his means to make money.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-18-2012 22:30
I think it is just sad that any welder would do that to another welder period.

But unless you got pics or videotape you have no idea who did it right??!  There might be more to this story...    You add enough beer around some hands and you never know where you will end up...striped sunshine usually.  Too bad for your friend that sux.  Stuff can be replaced, people cannot, just keep that in mind.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-20-2012 19:43
Well, after a few decades of being here there and everywhere, I have this to say about this unfortunate incident.

1) I have personally been robbed at gunpoint (NEVER got the heater WITH you when you need it the most!!!), had my car stolen, and numerous other problems. Some by my own stupidity and others just from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
So yes, I can "feel his pain".

2) Sometimes these things are instigated from the most unlikely or unforeseen sources.
I have been around these same type pranks (for lack of better word) and have had the recipient find out it came from some of the following sources.
Irate boyfriend, husband of your "Road Wife".
Your irate exwife/girlfriend or their new boyfriend/husband.
Bored high schoolers.
Your OWN helper!
The UnSub you inadvertently cut off at the traffic light or WongMart parking lot.
A local yokel "competitor" (who had no credentials or talent for our line of work!).
A local yokel who just thinks you should go home.
And from other aforementioned schmucks... on and on.

3) The main issue in here is to PLEASE not jump to conclusions and bash a sector of our forum members.
This is not the venue to blame any unknown entities for an act of vandalism.
Report to the Authorities, Insurance and hope that it doesn't happen again.
Now if the police or Insurance investigator identifies the perp (a$$hole) and this identity is public knowledge...

This still is not the best place to post such information.
It is an ugly cruel world out there and bad stuff happens to good people.

I gotta write a book about this wild and crazy business!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-20-2012 21:51
Funny reversal..

Usually everybody is telling me to calm down and not to judge.

Sheesh..  I've seen so many examples of union thugging that the current OP's story diddn't even raise an eyebrow..  It's what union men have done for the better part of a century to people they consider scabs and rats..

Video tapes before we can state our opinion?

Road wives?   Yeah  one out of 1000 vandalisims... The rest are union thugs

I think it's a pretty safe bet... safe enough to spout out on a welding chat forum at least.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 05-22-2012 02:03
Safe bet you're an idiot Lawrence, just an opinion though.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-22-2012 03:36
It's the experience of knowing union men who have bragged about doing things like this and quite a bit worse.

Union violence and destruction has been going on longer than you have been alive.

Idiots pretend it doesn't go on anymore.

Thanks for your opinion though, your not alone in it.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-24-2012 01:32
thats odd i work in PA where i am the sentiment is very anti-union
Parent - - By joelwelder (*) Date 05-25-2012 21:50
This is an unfortunate thing that happened in pa but what bother's me is people are fast to conclude that this is a union non union beef. williamsport pa. you can't swing a dead cat up there without hitting a non union pipeliner! the vandalisim perpetrated to this man's rig truck could have been done by anyone.hey here's a thought, maybe it was done by another non union welder who has a beef with this guy for what'ever reason.I am a union member i can never remember any other member of my ua local vandalizing vehicles and those who do deserve to be prosecuted for doing sojust my opinion!
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-31-2012 05:34
Funny you mention williamsport, I went to school there.  I have never heard of vandalism of this sort in PA, most of the areas in PA that I lived were pretty firmly non-union.

I don't have a dog in the fight, it's a shame that vandalism is somehow a response to someone trying to work.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-02-2012 04:51
Where are You working now Joel ?
Parent - - By joelwelder (*) Date 06-02-2012 16:36
Back home in jersey! was up there a couple years ago.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-03-2012 03:50
I am in Pa, 40 miles northwest of Philly.

Actually I was asking "Metarinka" who's first name ia also Joel. He has lived & worked in Pa. and from His post, it sounds like He may be back from time to time.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-03-2012 21:36
I live in Pittsburgh now.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-04-2012 02:48
My sister lives out there, near Kennywood Park.

I believe Henry is somewhere north of the city.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 06-04-2012 17:38
I'm about 5 minutes from Kennywood.  Can't complain too much it's cheap n all.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-05-2012 02:09
They are in West Mifflin. House prices went down back when the steel mills closed, and have remained pretty low all the years since.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-04-2012 19:03
Just north of Butler in East Brady Dave.:wink:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-05-2012 02:06
I had to use GOOGLE map to see where that is...

How are things going for You?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working in PA warning